British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Ways to get British TV (BBC America is a missed opportunity) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/ways-get-british-tv-bbc-america-missed-opportunity-357920/)

SimpleBlood Feb 27th 2006 3:54 pm

Ways to get British TV (BBC America is a missed opportunity)

With the increasing British Ex-pat population living in America, it amazes me that the BBC doesn't make more of it's BBC America service. Tired old re-runs of Monty Python and Benny Hill seem to fill 40% of the schedule, and the rest is disposable drama like Monarch of the Glen and My Hero.

With BBC owning the channel, and all of their programming back catalog...where is the East Enders, the Red Dwarf, Royle Family, Fools & Horses, etc. If they can show such recent shows as The Office and Little Britain, why not classics like Bottom or One Foot in the Grave?

I'm really interested in watching Eastenders. It became a staple part of my life after 40years of living in Blighty, and as sad as it may be, I do miss it. I find it very hard to believe that in the technological wizardry we have in 2006, that there is no way for me to watch it, other than the rather medieval process of getting a friend back home to tape each episode and mail the tapes over (while I save for a European compatible VCR!!)

I mean, surely there is an easier way to keep up with the shows from home?? We can put a man on the moon and create a cell phone that shows videos of dancing naked frogs...yet I can't Eastenders in the US?!

Always21 Feb 27th 2006 3:59 pm

Re: Ways to get British TV (BBC America is a missed opportunity)

http://www.uknova.com/

SimpleBlood Feb 27th 2006 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by Always21

What is this, old friend?

Thackattack Feb 27th 2006 4:04 pm

It is with utter embarrassment that MY HERO is being p0layed on BBC America. Possibly the worst tv show in history.

TruBrit Feb 27th 2006 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by SimpleBlood
and create a cell phone that shows videos of dancing naked frogs...yet I can't Eastenders in the US?!

hiya, yep for sure it's a shame esp with some good uk winter dramas on the beeb in the uk. i have emailed bbc america to ask why this and why that and all i get back is 'thank you for your feedback'..... :(

nottsinCT Feb 27th 2006 4:06 pm

With the increasing British Ex-pat population living in America, it amazes me that the BBC doesn't make more of it's BBC America service. Tired old re-runs of Monty Python and Benny Hill seem to fill 40% of the schedule, and the rest is disposable drama like Monarch of the Glen and My Hero.

With BBC owning the channel, and all of their programming back catalog...where is the East Enders, the Red Dwarf, Royle Family, Fools & Horses, etc. If they can show such recent shows as The Office and Little Britain, why not classics like Bottom or One Foot in the Grave?

I'm really interested in watching Eastenders. It became a staple part of my life after 40years of living in Blighty, and as sad as it may be, I do miss it. I find it very hard to believe that in the technological wizardry we have in 2006, that there is no way for me to watch it, other than the rather medieval process of getting a friend back home to tape each episode and mail the tapes over (while I save for a European compatible VCR!!)

I mean, surely there is an easier way to keep up with the shows from home?? We can put a man on the moon and create a cell phone that shows videos of dancing naked frogs...yet I can't Eastenders in the US?!

OH HOW I WISH..
where are you in the US we have it in CT on WLIW 21 sat night 2 episodes although we a few years behind we are coming upto Sharon buying the vic good thing is I never saw these anyway.. when I was home I got lost ended up watching gold...

BigDavyG Feb 27th 2006 4:07 pm

BBC do not own BBC America - its the discovery channel.
If you look around you can get some Brit shows on other channels like PBS, AMC, etc.

Elvira Feb 27th 2006 4:07 pm

Do a search - has been discussed lots of times...

Jaxbar Feb 27th 2006 4:09 pm

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=356032 :)

vegas Feb 27th 2006 4:11 pm

http://www.couchtracker.com/new/

This is a better download site as the shows normally appear within minutes of finishing and there are no ratio requirements.

register here.

http://www.couchtracker.com/new/prof...?mode=register

TruBrit Feb 27th 2006 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
BBC do not own BBC America - its the discovery channel.
If you look around you can get some Brit shows on other channels like PBS, AMC, etc.

duhh...ohh ok that explains why i find uk stuff on pbs...channel 8 on our tv...

BigDavyG Feb 27th 2006 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit
duhh...ohh ok that explains why i find uk stuff on pbs...channel 8 on our tv...

The new series of hussle which was on back home in the autumn is on AMC on saturday nights now - love that show - tried to buy the series on dvd back home at xmas but wasn't out yet.

TruBrit Feb 27th 2006 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
The new series of hussle which was on back home in the autumn is on AMC on saturday nights now - love that show - tried to buy the series on dvd back home at xmas but wasn't out yet.

ok i'll look out for that however as you know i wont be watching the tv this sat night..lol i'll have better things to do :p

BigDavyG Feb 27th 2006 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit
ok i'll look out for that however as you know i wont be watching the tv this sat night..lol i'll have better things to do :p

Me neither - i'll be in Ca but i'll be getting the oh to tape it

Sarah Feb 27th 2006 4:24 pm

There's a Brit show called "Surburban Shootout" about to being on the Oxygen channel and I get to watch "The Vicar of Dibley" on PBS at 5.30pm every evening. Sometimes they show "The Good Life" (called Good Neighbors over here) aswell as "Last of the Summer Wine." I think it was the AMC or TCM channel that showed Wallace and Gromit's The Wrong Trousers a few weeks ago too. You have to keep your eye out, there's more Brit things on than you'd think. I don't have BBC America but the times I have watched it at my in-laws it seemed rubbish.
Damn you Bush for cutting funding for Public stations!!