British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Ways to get British TV (BBC America is a missed opportunity) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/ways-get-british-tv-bbc-america-missed-opportunity-357920/)

biccy Feb 27th 2006 9:02 pm

Re: Ways to get British TV (BBC America is a missed opportunity)

BBC America is part of a long-time joint venture between BBC worldwide (commercial arm of the beeb) and Discovery. BBCA is wholly owned and scheduled by BBW, and Discovery is responsible for marketing and distribution. I suspect BBW sell their best shows to other US broadcasters/PBS because they get more money in licensing fees than they would advertising revenue on BBC America. Some shows are also co-productions with American broadcasters (like WGBH in Boston or A&E) so the US broadcaster would then likely retain US rights.

But I agree, BBC America is a missed opportunity.

Bob Feb 27th 2006 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I rather liked the show called "Mock The Week" which I watched last Friday?! night. I weren't watchin Trisha host a Friday Night show!

It seems a bit like HIGNFY, but with a tw@ for a host...

Bob Feb 27th 2006 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Russ&Jayne
I can get the latest episodes (same day) of Eastenders and plenty of other programmes like Little Britain etc. from a fab site. Anyone can PM me and I'll pass on details. Don't like to post dodgy stuff ;)

not like the rest of us haven't linked to the sites before :D

Bob Feb 27th 2006 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira

But I guess this only dismays those of us who are familiar with the real thing! If I had a buck for every American who told me how they 'luve' AYBS + KUA :rolleyes:

Kumars weren't bad though :D
but definately the ole license was good value for money, it is shite here and you spend way more on tele and probably only watch the same handful of channels anyway *l*

Bob Feb 27th 2006 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by Big D
There is a site called East Enders World Wide - poor bloke got banned for spamming - but quite a few of us were using it already. Excellent site with downloads rather than torrents, mainly EE but has lots of other good shows such as top gear and life on mars. If anyone is interested i will post the link?

Go on then....but the bloke only got banned because it was his first post, which is a bit rude...

scrubbedexpat099 Feb 27th 2006 9:25 pm

I received this sometime ago, my Brother has SKY so I could use his info, but I have found no way of making it look to their system that I am in the UK.

New and at no additional cost
If you’re a Sky digital customer already subscribing to Sky Sports 1&2 or Sky Movies 1&2 you can now get an amazing new service called ‘Sky by broadband’ at no additional cost.

Sky Movies on your PC
On ‘Sky by broadband’ there’s a choice of hundreds of films available to download, ranging from classics like The Hustler to recent Hollywood blockbusters including I, Robot, Layer Cake, The Girl Next Door and Garfield.

The best of Sky Sports
With ‘Sky by broadband’ you can also enjoy highlights from every Barclays Premiership and UEFA Champions League match as well as rugby, golf, cricket, and even our ever popular Soccer AM show.

Click here to register for ‘Sky by broadband’ then and within a few minutes you’ll be able to access hours of quality entertainment, all at no extra charge. Then just sit back, relax and enjoy some of the best of Sky on your PC.
Please have your viewing card number handy when registering.

Celtic_Angel Feb 27th 2006 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by cutina
yes! i get red dwarf! and jeeves and wooster, but i also get the crap stuff like those above and as time goes by etc :rolleyes:

ohh I have a Jeeves and Wooster VHS it was $1:99 in HEB grocery store :D

cutina Feb 27th 2006 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
ohh I have a Jeeves and Wooster VHS it was $1:99 in HEB grocery store :D

it's funny to watch house and then see young hugh in J&W:)

Celtic_Angel Feb 27th 2006 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
not like the rest of us haven't linked to the sites before :D

er...I haven't :confused: besides upto date Eastenders is no good to me..I'm four years behind :p My younger brother loves little Britain though, so I wouldn't mind a look see :)

Anybody remember Chelmsford 123? it was a comedy set when the Romans came to England....I use to bloody love that show :)

gruffbrown Feb 27th 2006 10:30 pm

We get some weird programming from PBS in Delaware on our cable, American revolution documentaries followed by 'Last of the summer wine' :D

Celtic_Angel Feb 27th 2006 10:30 pm

I'm not into American drama's I saw about 10 mins of a moody Hugh and it just would not compute :p Use to love J& W didn't those two have their own show ( like a comedy sketch show)?

cutina Feb 27th 2006 10:36 pm

I'm not into American drama's I saw about 10 mins of a moody Hugh and it just would not compute :p Use to love J& W didn't those two have their own show ( like a comedy sketch show)?

yes, that was much better than J&W... sillier! it was called 'a bit of fry and laurie'i think....
and i love house. it's my favourite show. my bother says it's very popular in the UK now too.:)

Celtic_Angel Feb 27th 2006 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
We get some weird programming from PBS in Delaware on our cable, American revolution documentaries followed by 'Last of the summer wine' :D

PBS use to have this kids show on everyday after school , about the Revolutionary War, set in that time anyway...I figured it was harmless even educational until I heard them talk of "the evil Britons!".....er...time to turn over kids :eek: :rolleyes:

Apparently PBS was squeezed of funds because of another kids show...a spin of from Arthur called Buster...never watched it but Buster goes to met families around the whole of the States (during each episode) apparently the shit hit the fan cos one time he visited a family with same sex parents (2 women)...they made pancakes ffs.....good job my kids didn't see it though cos I'm sure if they would have they would have turned gay :rolleyes: :p

er I may have put this in the wrong thread , are we talking tele on 2 diff threads right now??

Bob Feb 27th 2006 10:49 pm

Amusing seeing him in Spooks/MI-5 playing such a git :D

gruffbrown Feb 27th 2006 11:27 pm

er I may have put this in the wrong thread , are we talking tele on 2 diff threads right now??

I think we are :rolleyes: