British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Ways to get British TV (BBC America is a missed opportunity) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/ways-get-british-tv-bbc-america-missed-opportunity-357920/)

Just Jenney Feb 27th 2006 4:28 pm

Re: Ways to get British TV (BBC America is a missed opportunity)

Originally Posted by nottsinCT
OH HOW I WISH..
where are you in the US we have it in CT on WLIW 21 sat night 2 episodes although we a few years behind we are coming upto Sharon buying the vic good thing is I never saw these anyway.. when I was home I got lost ended up watching gold...

We also get Eastenders on our PBS channel here in Richmond -- two shows back-to-back starting at 11pm. They've been airing the series on PBS here for years... BUT the episodes are 4-5 years old. However, since I never watched Eastenders growing up, it's all new to me anyway! :)

Too bad we don't have cable, or we'd probably watch BBC America endlessly...

~ Jenney

Celtic_Angel Feb 27th 2006 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by SimpleBlood

I mean, surely there is an easier way to keep up with the shows from home?? We can put a man on the moon and create a cell phone that shows videos of dancing naked frogs...yet I can't Eastenders in the US?!

if you really crave Eastenders try PBS maybe your local station airs it..if not you can always put in a request ;) I never watched the miserable shite until I moved to an area that shows it, now it's the highlight of my Sunday night :o :D ( it's four years behind mind :p )

oh, I should have read the above post first :D

TruBrit Feb 27th 2006 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
( it's four years behind mind :p )

like the rest of the u.s. of a. :rolleyes:

cutina Feb 27th 2006 4:48 pm

if you really crave Eastenders try PBS maybe your local station airs it..if not you can always put in a request ;) I never watched the miserable shite until I moved to an area that shows it, now it's the highlight of my Sunday night :o :D ( it's four years behind mind :p )

oooh do PBS show it 'round your way? mine doesn't, but it does show a lot of british stuff. How do you put in a request?

Celtic_Angel Feb 27th 2006 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit
like the rest of the u.s. of a. :rolleyes:

:eek: shouldn't you be packing? :D

TruBrit Feb 27th 2006 4:50 pm

:eek: shouldn't you be packing? :D

yes :D

Elvira Feb 27th 2006 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by Sarah
Damn you Bush for cutting funding for Public stations!!

(sigh)

:mad:

Celtic_Angel Feb 27th 2006 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by cutina
oooh do PBS show it 'round your way? mine doesn't, but it does show a lot of british stuff. How do you put in a request?

er dunno probably helps if you donate and become a supporting member during their frequent money raising drives :D

Never heard of Round your way...I've been gone a while so I've not seen Little Britain either, currently ours shows Masterpiece Theater before EE:zzz:

It has been known to show , Are you being Served, Last of the Summer Wine and Keeping up Appearances :zzz: all terrible if you ask me. Red Dwarf, and Only Fools and horses would be a lovely change :D

Bob Feb 27th 2006 5:06 pm

If you get the CBC, a canadian channel, they show some random brit shows, and corrie...errr...and then best bet is to d/load the shows with nova, or http://xtvi.com/index.php?mode=details&id=6753 well basically there are loads of sites you could try.

cutina Feb 27th 2006 6:01 pm

Never heard of Round your way...I've been gone a while so I've not seen Little Britain either, currently ours shows Masterpiece Theater before EE:zzz:

lol! sorry, i meant where you live ie, round your way! it's not a show! tee hee!
:)

cutina Feb 27th 2006 6:02 pm

e

It has been known to show , Are you being Served, Last of the Summer Wine and Keeping up Appearances :zzz: all terrible if you ask me. Red Dwarf, and Only Fools and horses would be a lovely change :D

yes! i get red dwarf! and jeeves and wooster, but i also get the crap stuff like those above and as time goes by etc :rolleyes:

snowbunny Feb 27th 2006 6:10 pm

I rather liked the show called "Mock The Week" which I watched last Friday?! night. I weren't watchin Trisha host a Friday Night show!

Russ&Jayne Feb 27th 2006 6:35 pm

I can get the latest episodes (same day) of Eastenders and plenty of other programmes like Little Britain etc. from a fab site. Anyone can PM me and I'll pass on details. Don't like to post dodgy stuff ;)

Elvira Feb 27th 2006 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
BBC do not own BBC America - its the discovery channel.
If you look around you can get some Brit shows on other channels like PBS, AMC, etc.

How much - how many pieces of silver - did the 'real' BBC get for selling their dregs to the Discovery Channel and allowing the resulting concoction to be called 'BBC America'? :mad:

But I guess this only dismays those of us who are familiar with the real thing! If I had a buck for every American who told me how they 'luve' AYBS + KUA :rolleyes:

Imagine: You pay (approx.) 140 quid a year and you get BBC 1, BBC 2, Radios 1-5 + local, BBC World Service, and whatever else they've added to their portfolio since I left in 2001.

Here we pay something like $80 quid a month and we get F'All :mad: :beer:

Big D Feb 27th 2006 8:56 pm

There is a site called East Enders World Wide - poor bloke got banned for spamming - but quite a few of us were using it already. Excellent site with downloads rather than torrents, mainly EE but has lots of other good shows such as top gear and life on mars. If anyone is interested i will post the link?