Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US schools and the Pledge

US schools and the Pledge

Old Apr 6th 2007, 12:16 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US schools and the Pledge

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Where did she infer that in her post?

Not inferred but stated "I'm USC, DH is Brit "
Old Apr 6th 2007, 12:28 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goldcrown
No, I think I hear you in the way you mean it. I would hope that I would not let my bias against the U.S. pledge translate into an excuse not to move to the States. Certainly there are much better reasons to avoid the U.S.!
Your children are USC as well. Are you urging them to renounce their US Citizenship when they are of a majority? Do you hate your birth country that much and all its people or just hate its government?

I attended private (Christian) school when I grew up in the States until high school, so I never recited the pledge. When the 'hand over heart' stuff happened at baseball games or whatever, I didn't participate. I felt like boycotting it, to be honest. As inconsequential as that sort of protest is. Yes, I had a bad attitude before I moved to England. And my 'being negative' seemed to arouse great fear in my immediate family. One is nothing if not 'positive' in America!
I went to Catholic school through the 8th grade and we pledged the flag each and every morning.

I'm very sorry that you are so negative and hateful in your mind and heart to a country that allowed you to do what you so wanted to do, turn your back on it, not participate in changing its government and bad mouth it at every opportunity you are given. I'm also so very sorry that you are being forced to return to a country that you hate.

If you truly feel this way about the US then there is no quality to the life you will be offering your children. I'm sure that at whatever ages they are at the moment they have already been indoctrinated with your hatred and will only have difficulties in finding acceptance with their peers when they are here in the US and start the same hateful triade that you are expressing here.

Please, I urge you to tell your husband you will not under any circumstances whatsoever return to the US. I urge you also to go to the US Consulate in London and renounce your US Citizenship. You should only be a member of a society that you are truly comfortable with; not one that you are only going to be using to financially better yourself while you give back nothing of value to its betterment.

I digress.

Some of the benefits to me in living in the U.S.:

hyper convenience - from the big fridge which can hold a month's meals, to the trolley without four moving wheels, to the lightening speed washer and dryer...

more stuff (due to larger salary, lower cost of living, great tax breaks and our GBP brought over in a fab exchange rate)

home ownership (though I do not want this to be used against me i.e. 'we'll have to sell at a loss!' come time to move on)

moving to an area of U.S. filled with transplants (some calling it 'Little New Jersey' and whatnot)

That's all I can think of at the mo.

I will have a think about cultivating a more curious, anticipatory attitude, based on this thread. I don't want to bring on more suffering for me. And I have a brave face I must put on to keep the children from freaking out.
There are no benefits for you, your husband and your children in the US other than financial gain. Money will not make you happy. It will only corrupt your life which is one of the reasons why you left the US in the first place.

Best of luck to you.

PS I buried my father on Monday who fought alongside of tens of thousands of other people from all countries of the world in WWII so that you could have the attitude that you display here. I thank my father for helping to give you that right.

Last edited by Rete; Apr 6th 2007 at 12:30 am.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 1:04 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I'm very sorry that you are so negative and hateful in your mind and heart to a country that allowed you to do what you so wanted to do, turn your back on it, not participate in changing its government and bad mouth it at every opportunity you are given. I'm also so very sorry that you are being forced to return to a country that you hate.

I have to admit...I haven't voted in the UK elections since living here. Rightly or wrongly...I feel that I gave up the right when I became an expat.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 1:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP...I presume you completed a US tax return every year you lived in the UK.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 1:12 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

See, this is why you can't discuss politics with American people. They can't take any criticism of their country....even from their own.

And Americans weren't the only ones who died fighting the second world war. There were many Canadians, Rhodesians, South Africans, Australians, etc... (whose countries weren't involved in any way) etc..who fought and died too.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 1:16 am
Banned

Haggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't even know kids had to pledge to this silly flag until I saw this thread.
I asked my wife if this was true and she confirmed it. She seems to think this is normal. I think it is offensive to people like me who see the flag as nothing more than a square piece of material with a fancy pattern on it.
I wouldn't pledge to that flag or any other because I am not some kind of mindless slave. I think it's time to move back to England.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 1:17 am
Banned

Haggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see why instead of a pledge to a flag they can't just have a pledge to God.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 1:18 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Since the OP may possibly be suffering from depression, it might be an idea to cut her some slack...
Old Apr 6th 2007, 1:18 am
SUPER MODERATOR

See, this is why you can't discuss politics with American people. They can't take any criticism of their country....even from their own.

And Americans weren't the only ones who died fighting the second world war. There were many Canadians, Rhodesians, South Africans, Australians, etc... (whose countries weren't involved in any way) etc..who fought and died too.
We're the same. Roland Hulme and whathisname from yesterday...criticised the UK and most of us jumped on them.

When push comes to shove most will defend their country. It's a bit like criticising your relatives...it's OK for you to do it but you don't like it when someone else does.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 1:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

I am not only quite capable of taking criticism of my country, but giving it out as well. I think your generalization about all American people is a little off the mark. It is a good country with terrible flaws...just like most other countries.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 1:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Since the OP may possibly be suffering from depression, it might be an idea to cut her some slack...
Agreed.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 1:20 am
Banned

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Don't worry, they've changed the wording...

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United Corporations of America and to the profits for which they stand, one nation under lobbyists with liberty and justice for a few.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 1:21 am
Banned

Originally Posted by dakota44
I am not only quite capable of taking criticism of my country, but giving it out as well. I think your generalization about all American people is a little off the mark. It is a good country with terrible flaws...just like most other countries.
except for England
Old Apr 6th 2007, 1:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I was saying the most other countries have their own flaws as well.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 1:22 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Elvira
According to the recent health study at my work I am suffering from "chronic depression" to. News to me but now these bloody counsellors keep sending me letters each day to try and set up appointments.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.