Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US schools and the Pledge

US schools and the Pledge

Old Apr 10th 2007, 7:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US schools and the Pledge

Originally Posted by Tracym

And I still don't personally believe either country (US or UK) is so horrible as to cause great mental health issues just be being there.
It can destroy marriages, so why not your mental health, or it could be said the other way round.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 7:54 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Well yes, of course she does. Which is her choice I suppose - and applies equally in the UK or the US.

I'm just saying that what he wants matters too - in reference to the poster who was basically saying there was something wrong with him because he wasn't doing what she wanted.
Who's saying there is anything wrong with him? It is a matter of one spouse showing distinct distress about coming to the US. Personally I think she is over-reacting a bit but that is neither here nor there. If one is being dragged somewhere against their will, and by GC's statements, it sure as hell sounds like it; how do you not feel enormous resentment and anger at your partner for your distress? I know that my husband would certainly stop in his tracks if my reaction was that extreme. There would have to a significant event to forge ahead to justify that upheaval without generating resentment.

I am certain there is a whole lot more to this than meets the eye. In any event taking what has been written by GC, the family is in for a rotten time whether they own a house, find the right school, live in the perfect town, etc. etc.

Hope they sort out their issues with a mutually satisfying result, or else another family may hit the skids.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 8:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
Who's saying there is anything wrong with him? It is a matter of one spouse showing distinct distress about coming to the US. Personally I think she is over-reacting a bit but that is neither here nor there. If one is being dragged somewhere against their will, and by GC's statements, it sure as hell sounds like it; how do you not feel enormous resentment and anger at your partner for your distress? I know that my husband would certainly stop in his tracks if my reaction was that extreme. There would have to a significant event to forge ahead to justify that upheaval without generating resentment.

I am certain there is a whole lot more to this than meets the eye. In any event taking what has been written by GC, the family is in for a rotten time whether they own a house, find the right school, live in the perfect town, etc. etc.

Hope they sort out their issues with a mutually satisfying result, or else another family may hit the skids.
I wish them well also.

I think my point is simply that, being dragged somewhere against one's will is very similar to being made to stay somewhere against one's will. Two sides to the story is all I am saying.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
I think at this point they are hoping to, at least, tread water by paying a mortgage instead of rent. While it might not get them on the property ladder in the UK, at the very least they won't be sending money down the black hole of rent payments.

If they buy a house in the US, pay the mortgage for say 3 years, and then sell the house for only a modest gain, at the very least they have 3 years worth of 'rent payments' that they will recoup and maybe give them a bit of financial security. (I use 3 years as an example because that would get them US citizenship if he desires).
Hadn't thought about the whole citizenship thing, I just still don't get this. From the levels of anxiety GC appears to displaying about it all .. especially with a one year old in tow ... it all seems a tad odd.

Any financial gain they *might* make doesn't really seem worth it to me. iirc the kids were 3,4 and 1 so within one or two years thats only one child requiring full time day care and I know for a fact I would rather work where I was happy than be at home with kids where I wasn't.

Each to their own decision of course.

Last edited by Tootsie Frickensprinkles; Apr 10th 2007 at 11:01 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 10:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
I think at this point they are hoping to, at least, tread water by paying a mortgage instead of rent. While it might not get them on the property ladder in the UK, at the very least they won't be sending money down the black hole of rent payments.

If they buy a house in the US, pay the mortgage for say 3 years, and then sell the house for only a modest gain, at the very least they have 3 years worth of 'rent payments' that they will recoup and maybe give them a bit of financial security. (I use 3 years as an example because that would get them US citizenship if he desires).
They don't need US citizenship...she is an American.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 11:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tootsie Frickensprinkles
Hadn't thought about the whole citizenship thing, I just still don't get this. From the levels of anxiety GC appears to displaying about it all .. especially with a one year old in tow ... it all seems a tad odd.

Any financial gain they *might* make doesn't really seem worth it to me. iirc the kids were 3,4 and 1 so within one or two years thats only one child requiring full time day care and I know for a fact I would rather work where I was happy than be at home with kids where I wasn't.

Each to their own decision of course.
The whole thing seems pretty unusual. If she had always lived in the UK, it would seem easier to understand to me. That level of anxiety over returning to one's own country.... dunno. I understand preferring somewhere else, but it's like she's being taken to a ... I don't know what.

Well it's certainly their decision, his and hers.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 11:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
They don't need US citizenship...she is an American.
I realize that. I meant the husband and children.

oops stupid me, that post wasn't for me - sorry.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 11:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I realize that. I meant the husband and children.

oops stupid me, that post wasn't for me - sorry.
Aren't her children already USC's if they are born to an American citizen?
Old Apr 10th 2007, 11:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. You have to register a foreign birth with the Embassy. If that is not done, then after a certain age, 16 I think, they have to go through an application process.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 11:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

True, just the registering bit. But he'd have the option too then.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 11:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by dakota44
Yes. You have to register a foreign birth with the Embassy. If that is not done, then after a certain age, 16 I think, they have to go through an application process.
Yes...I originally responded to Penguinsix who seems to think they would all have to wait 3 years to become USC's.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 11:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

True, just the registering bit. But he'd have the option too then.
I think we are talking at cross purposes. As I said above my original response was to Penguinsix...only the husband will have to wait 3 yrs to become a USC.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 11:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think we are talking at cross purposes. As I said above my original response was to Penguinsix...only the husband will have to wait 3 yrs to become a USC.
Oh multiple ways to create confusion - posts crossed, plus I started it - then realized you weren't talking to me.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

I wish them well also.

I think my point is simply that, being dragged somewhere against one's will is very similar to being made to stay somewhere against one's will. Two sides to the story is all I am saying.
That is true too, but, this isn't just about two peoples differing wants or beliefs. They've got three kids and the effect of Mum having serious anxiety/depressive issues in NO WAY makes up for any financial gains and as the father of the children he needs to understand the potential consequences.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 11:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Oh multiple ways to create confusion - posts crossed, plus I started it - then realized you weren't talking to me.
Aye...it can get a little confusing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.