Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US schools and the Pledge

US schools and the Pledge

Old Apr 6th 2007, 1:07 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US schools and the Pledge

Originally Posted by dakota44
I might be a bit unfair towards the French...but as a nation they do seem to have a superiority complex.
I agree with that one...my family are French for the most part and they kicked my nan out of the family for marrying a Brit..
Old Apr 6th 2007, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

goldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by penguinsix
You seem to be on top of the different school districts and such, but I thought I'd mention this site anyway just in case you haven't seen it:

http://www.greatschools.net/city/Charlotte/NC

Allows you to compare basic school statistics between different schools, districts, cities, etc. Sometimes have parent reviews that might be helpful.
Yes, very helpful site! Been practically living on that site in the last month.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 2:01 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goldcrown

And I'm not renouncing my US citizenship. Illegal to do that for tax reasons anyway. (not directed at you, Jerseygirl, just including this is in my post response)
It's not illegal to do that, it just means you won't ever be allowed back into the US.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 2:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
It seems to me that you need counselling as a matter of urgency.
I agree completely!

This sounds like it's a lot more than than just being about moving. Neither the US nor the UK are third world countries or anything, that they should so terribly threaten one's mental health. And to be moving somewhere while feeling that you (OP) hates it, and thinks most people are unintellingent does not sound good. It's not unfamiliarity and leaving one's home country, as with Brit expats, she's lived here for most of her life.

Sounds like some counseling would be a good plan.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 2:53 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Ft. Mill elementary is frozen enrollment due to exceeding capacity. Gold and Riverview are nearly at capacity, so expected to freeze enrollment. Clover district allows paddling, according to my research.

Seems the infrastructure cannot support this massive growth in Charlotte/Union County/Lake Norman/York County.
Sounds like Lake Wylie may be a good fit for you. I believe its in Clover district for schools. Lake Wylie is close enough to commute to Charlotte but it still has almost a village-like atmosphere about it. One of the older established neighborhoods is called "River Hills"

Sue
Old Apr 6th 2007, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

goldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bob
It's not illegal to do that, it just means you won't ever be allowed back into the US.
Ah, you're right, thank you. Got my penalties confused.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sue
Sounds like Lake Wylie may be a good fit for you. I believe its in Clover district for schools. Lake Wylie is close enough to commute to Charlotte but it still has almost a village-like atmosphere about it. One of the older established neighborhoods is called "River Hills"

Sue
Thanks! I think the legal corporal punishment in Clover might put us off entirely.

Do you know much about the nuclear plant that uses Lake Wylie for it's cooling? Or the big steam plant, for that matter?

I've read a huge moat is planned around the nuke plant...to protect against terrorism.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

What is it that your DH does that requires that he has to work near London or Heathrow? Have you considered any European countries? We have a few friends faced with not being happy in the US but reluctant to return to the UK, have chosen to move to Europe (France or Germany). They have been extremely happy with their lives since moving there.

My own parents have lived in France for the last 4 years rather than face retirement in London. My Dad refuses even to travel to England now as the pollution is so bad for his health.

I really wouldn't move back to a country where I know it would be a serious detriment to my health. If you end up ill, the anchor of the family....your kids will be unhappy and become disruptive...your husband will become stress and ill.....you will become more stressed and ill .... your kids will end up in a circle of kids who are equally unhappy, learning that drugs takes the pain away and so the cycle goes on.

Money and material things are never really a good reason do something. We moved because we faced a job or no job situation. This admittedly an extreme take on the situation but some of that happen to our family. Fortunately we survived but only just! Take it from me its not worth the happiness of your family.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 3:42 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks! I think the legal corporal punishment in Clover might put us off entirely.

Do you know much about the nuclear plant that uses Lake Wylie for it's cooling? Or the big steam plant, for that matter?

I've read a huge moat is planned around the nuke plant...to protect against terrorism.
I've got to be honest and say I think you are reading too much

I haven't heard anything about a moat and don't really give the nuclear plant too much thought. Just because the corporal punishment is legal it doesn't mean it happens. I know a middle school principal from a school in Charlotte who moved to the Clover district so his children could attend school there because he believes they will get a better education.

If you are definitely moving to Charlotte you need to start looking at the positives because at the moment it seems that you are just focusing on the bad stuff in an effort to stop your relocation.

NC has a low cost of living. You can get a lot of house for your money. The standard of living is great too.

Beautiful blue Carolina skies for most of the year.

Lovely weather, with mild winters.

A great place to bring up kids

Mountains and beaches

etc, etc.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 3:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Are we sure this isn't a wind-up?

She was going to Boise or MA a bit ago...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=425271

Last edited by Tracym; Apr 6th 2007 at 3:47 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

Not a wind up, TracyM. Boise job we turned down, and job was based in MA (still has a good portion of the company there). Then it was Manhattan they needed DH, then Atlanta was the spot they thought he could manage territories the best. Charlotte was chosen for it's proximity to the 2nd largest financial sector in the U.S.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 4:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Not a wind up, TracyM. Boise job we turned down, and job was based in MA (still has a good portion of the company there). Then it was Manhattan they needed DH, then Atlanta was the spot they thought he could manage territories the best. Charlotte was chosen for it's proximity to the 2nd largest financial sector in the U.S.
OK fair enough, I just wondered.

I hope you can get some help in figuring out your situation. Good luck.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sue
Just because the corporal punishment is legal it doesn't mean it happens.
Sorry, are you familiar with the stats of corporal punishment frequency per school year in Clover School District? Or the JDA policy itself?

Why not be informed about this (i.e. 'reading too much')? I'm responsible for my kids' education, I best read the school policies, and make an informed decision.

As far as your middle school teacher friend, I'm sure there have been lots of transfers from certain CMS schools due to poor education. The test scores and suspension data reflect huge problems. As is the debate over decentralisation. And the debate on funds toward new schools. Gorman has his hands full, without a doubt. But he also offers magnet programmes and charter schools. Something Ft. Mill, Clover, York District 1, Union County, etc do not.

I'm sure I'll enjoy the blue skies and Southern Hospitality in Charlotte. But to assume the education is what I'm expecting, and not to read a ton, is foolish. Check out The Charlotte Observer's section on 'Start Researching Early' wrt to schooling options. There are too many options in each district, complete with rezoning and transfer options, to assume 'the schools are fine'.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tracym
OK fair enough, I just wondered.

I hope you can get some help in figuring out your situation. Good luck.
Thanks. The up and down part of this job wrt to location has a lot to do with flexibility in my DH's job (he will be traveling a lot, but no need to be in an office, he will work from home) and the upheaval going on in the company as a major player just acquired them. The usual reshuffling, arguments over how to do things, heads rolling, etc. It may be we can be in Raleigh Durham or Cary, depending on how the next stage of reshuffling goes. But for now, we're looking at homes in Charlotte.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 4:24 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

How solid is your marriage?

If the marriage breaks up after six months in the US, you'll be stuck here until the kids are 18 (generally speaking).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.