Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK to Texas - what's it really like?

UK to Texas - what's it really like?

Old Aug 10th 2016, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

Tanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to Texas - what's it really like?

Yes, I do agree about experiencing the heat. It's probably good to get an idea of what we would be facing in the summer if we did move... The kids were fine in Turkey in June where it got to about 35 but the humidity will make it feel very different over there I guess.
I did read about the train robberies, sounds sooooo much fun! Hoping the kids won't freak out lol I haven't ever tried western style riding so I'd really like to give that a go! Maybe not this trip though, that'd be something to do if we do make the move. Got loads of things on our agenda though so I'm sure we won't get bored, albeit slightly hot lol.
We obviously haven't decided yet where we would move if the opportunity did come up. that's all still so up in the air, there's no point planning things like that yet. But I do plan on driving around quite a lot and checking out different areas and finding out as much as we can from the people we meet and good old Internet research Really looking forward to it all!
Old Aug 10th 2016, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

Tanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond repute

Ooooh and a German bakery?!! Winner!!!! I do miss proper German bread, even here in the U.K.! We're self-catering on our visit so may need to load up on some yummy Brot to get my annual fix lol
Old Aug 10th 2016, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

You sound such a refreshingly positive person, Tanja. I really hope the move comes off for you; I'm sure you'll make a success of it.
Old Aug 10th 2016, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

abbiecowan is an unknown quantity at this point

I know I was so excited to find it, and the bread is so good! I am sure your trip will be fab. Look forward to hearing how it goes!
Old Aug 11th 2016, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

Aww, thanks you guys! I hope so too haha
I'll probably be going on about our trip for the next 2 weeks before we go and then even more when we get back so brace yourselves lol
Old Aug 12th 2016, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

Can anyone recommend a supermarket in Southlake for when we first get there? We're self-catering on our visit with 2 small kids so need food and will need to get toiletries as well
Old Aug 12th 2016, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

I don't know Southlake personally but generally in Dallas Metroplex you can't go more than 2 miles without passing at least 1 supermarket - referred to as grocery store here! I personally prefer Kroger or Tom Thumb. Walmarts are massive here but I like the food better at Kroger and Tom Thumb. Whole Foods if you really like organic stuff but it is more pricey. If you goggle from your hotel location they should show up easily enough.
Old Aug 12th 2016, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

cautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tanja87
Can anyone recommend a supermarket in Southlake for when we first get there? We're self-catering on our visit with 2 small kids so need food and will need to get toiletries as well
I just took a look at Springlake on Google Maps, and for ease and good quality food, I would recommend Trader Joes, Tom Thumb, or Kroger. You could visit a CVS for any toiletries you need (or just bring them with you - my preferred option). There's also a Costco if you a (UK) Costco membership and need to fill up on bulk supplies (not sure that you would for a two week trip though). If you end up driving a lot, it's worth noting that gas for you (i.e. without special loyalty membership discounts from Kroger, for example) will probably cheapest at Costco, so it might be worth a visit, even if you just get gas.
Old Aug 12th 2016, 6:56 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tanja87
Almost everything you need is available at Walmart.

American residents can be divided into two groups - those who shop at Walmart, and those who won't. Just about anything and everything you can buy at Costco you can buy as cheaply at Walmart. We are members of BJ's, a competitor to Costco, but Walmart is closer and the prices are either the same or lower, unless you have a promotional coupon, so we don't buy much from BJ's. IMO those people who swear that Costco is cheaper fall into the group who won't shop at Walmart.

Personally I wouldn't buy anything at CVS, as they, and competing pharmacies, are expensive. The exception might be makeup, which I have no experience of buying, but all your branded toiletries are available at Walmart.

The thing about much of what Walmart sells is that they are branded goods - Kelloggs, Heinz, Nabisco, Proctor & Gamble, Johnson, etc., so you are buying exactly the same product that you would at a grocery, but paying less for it. I am not aware of any reason other than snobbery to not shop at Walmart. .... That said, I shop at Walmart as infrequently as possible!

The argument about Walmart is different for fresh meat and vegetables, which can be of variable quality at Walmart, and though often perfectly OK, you will get consistly good quality elsewhere. We rarely buy meat from Walmart - where we live the local Kroger franchise has good quality meat.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 12th 2016 at 8:29 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2016, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

cautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
... American residents can be divided into two groups - those who shop at Walmart, and those who won't. Just about anything and everything you can buy at Costco you can buy as cheaply at Walmart.
I wouldn't call myself a snob by any means, but I generally avoid Walmart. I think that the shopping experience is nicer and less sterile in other stores, and the shoppers in other stores seem to know what they want and don't wander around the store endlessly (like people seem to do in my local Walmart stores). I usually source fruit and vegetables from a local oriental superstore (that has fantastic produce at cheap prices), or Smart and Final. My meat usually comes from Smart and Final, Trader Joes, or Whole Foods (if I am feeling very flush with cash).

... Personally I wouldn't buy anything at CVS, as they, and competing pharmacies, are expensive. The exception might be makeup, which I have no experience of buying, but all your branded toiletries are available at Walmart. ...
That is true. However, if I was the OP, I would simply bring what I needed from the UK. If you do that, you bring all your favorite brands of toiletries that may not exist in the USA (with the exception of aerosol cans, unless you bring 100 ml sized cans and take those in the cabin with you).
Old Aug 12th 2016, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

We are a great balanced family. My husband loves Walmart and should be getting a Christmas card from them because he visits so often!!

I agree in terms of tinned and packaged goods Walmart is good. Plus the clothes for the kids are great for basic tops, shorts, swim stuff, underwear etc. I compare it to Aldi or Asda back in the UK, which makes sense as Asda is owned by Walmart!

I prefer the fresh produce in Tom Thumb or Kroger to Walmart so that is why I shop there. Plus from our house there is a Kroger in one direction and a Tom Thumb in the other and they are both less than a mile away. So it is convenient.

In terms of toiletries I would agree that it is perhaps best to bring them from the UK for two reasons. You might not be able to find what you like here and often they are in HUGE sizes so you will end up leaving a lot behind. I personally have found it has taken a while to find a deodorant that I like and I bought a job lot of hair gels/products when I was last in the UK that are only just running out because I like them!

Ps. expect your first grocery shop to take approx. 24 hours as you work out what everything is and what is in it. Look out for High Fructose Corn Syrup (evil stuff) and sugar which seems to be added to everything!!
Old Aug 12th 2016, 7:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Almost everything you need is available at Walmart.

American residents can be divided into two groups - those who shop at Walmart, and those who won't. Just about anything and everything you can buy at Costco you can buy as cheaply at Walmart. We are members of BJ's, a competitor to Costco, but Walmart is closer and the prices are either the same or lower, unless you have a promotional coupon, so we don't buy much from BJ's. IMO those people who swear that Costco is cheaper fall into the group who won't shop at Walmart.

Personally I wouldn't buy anything at CVS, as they, and competing pharmacies, are expensive. The exception might be makeup, which I have no experience of buying, but all your branded toiletries are available at Walmart.

The thing about much of what Walmart sells is that they are branded goods - Kelloggs, Heinz, Nabisco, Proctor & Gamble, Johnson, etc., so you are buying exactly the same product that you would at a grocery, but paying less for it. I am not aware of any reason other than snobbery to not shop at Walmart. .... That said, I shop at Walmart as infrequently as possible!

The argument about Walmart is different for fresh meat and vegetables, which can be of variable quality at Walmart, and though often perfectly OK, you will get consistly goog quality elsewhere. We rarely buy meat from Walmart - where we live the local Kroger franchise has good quality meat.
I am a big supporter of Costco. I am an Executive Member and receive a nice cheque each year which more than covers the membership fee. I shop at Walmart from time to time...not keen on their fresh produce.

BTW don't Kellogg's have the slogan...'If it doesn't say Kellogg's on the packet...it's not Kellogg's'? I've been a Heinz Beans connoisseur since I was a child and have never found any other brand to hold a candle to the real deal.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Aug 12th 2016 at 7:43 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2016, 7:56 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

ah, the Walmart debate...my kids make me feel like I am a terrible human being for supporting walmart if I ever buy anything there.

I buy almost no readymade foods/sauces (my son has celiac disease and I keep sugar intake to a minimum for the whole family). As such, Walmart is pretty much useless for me in terms of food since their meat/veg/fruit leave a lot to be desired. I go to Costco and my local supermarket mostly. Trader Joe's is great for the few readymade foods that I do buy that you can't buy anywhere else (ready cooked puy lentils), cheese and wine. My Italian neighbour and I regularly find absolute bargains in the wine department of TJ's which would have cost loads more in Italy and France.
Target is good for toiletries - they usually have a good selection of travel sizes - and if you download the target "cartwheel" app then you often get very good deals. My girls like Target for everyday clothes. I wouldn't buy fresh fruit/veg/meat in Target though, it's expensive and not great quality.

HEB is the Texas grocery store - they vary enormously in terms of quality though.

Abbiecowan, I liked your analogy of thinking of the Texas summer heat like the British winter. Especially today, 104f for us in Austin and the kids are indoors with the air con going.
Old Aug 12th 2016, 7:57 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I am a big supporter of Costco. I am an Executive Member and receive a nice cheque each year which more than covers the membership fee. I shop at Walmart from time to time...not keen on their fresh produce.

Agreed. Our local Costco is bright and clean and staffed with friendly folks who know what they're doing, the Walmart . . . ouch! I would never think of going there for produce, the overall feel of the store is so grungy.
Old Aug 12th 2016, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

That's great! Thanks guys!
I'm hoping to visit a few different superm.... sorry, grocery stores while we're out there to find out what is what and get a better idea of the cost of living etc. I was hoping to leave toiletries at home due to weight restrictions on the flight (I use a loooot of stuff lol) but I guess you're right - a few travel miniatures should do the trick for a couple of weeks so we won't end up buying huge bottles of everything only to leave them behind... I don't expect to buy a lot of meat as we'll mostly eat out but the place we're renting does have a lovely BBQ on the patio that I don't think I can keep hubby away from haha!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.