Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK to Texas - what's it really like?

UK to Texas - what's it really like?

Old Aug 15th 2016, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

cautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to Texas - what's it really like?

Originally Posted by kodokan
... There are some services separate to the supermarkets that will go and shop for you and deliver, but you pay for the convenience (one operating here adds a surcharge of 7% per item, plus delivery). ...
I have heard very good things from Amazon Prime Now from friends who have used the service. Unfortunately, it only exists in some cities in the USA. They don't seem to charge much more than a small order surcharge, and source the items from stores that are local to your location.

I doubt that I will use these services, particularly for produce, as I like to pick and choose what produce I buy.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Well petrol is almost universally "pay at the pump", but now all the stations I use require you to input the zip code linked to your account after swiping your card, so I don't know how that would work with a non-US credit card. Unfortunately pre-paying means you need to know how much petrol you need/ can fit in the tank. ...
When I was visiting from the UK a few years ago, I went to a Shell garage that offered the option to leave a UK drivers license and a credit card with the staff member behind the kiosk and then s/he would just activate the pump for unlimited gas. Once I had finished pumping, I would go back into the kiosk, and they'd run through a normal post-pay transaction.

... Which you do, so they can mail you junk advertising and coupons. Personally for just a short visit I wouldn't bother, and you'd need to go to the customer service desk to register first. ...
It depends on the store. I have a similar loyalty card for Vons that I got from a checkout rep during my first visit to the store. I have never registered the card (it still has the "please register me" sticker on it ) and I have been successfully using it for the past three or so years.

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
You can go back inside and get an adjustment from the clerk if you have overpaid.
I can do that with my local gas station if I pay with cash.

I have only pre-paid a handful of times (I only recall three occasions, there may have been four), and never with cash, but one clerk at one local station flatly refused to refund any unused amount. I do not if it was the clerk being difficult or management policy, or what?
I would imagine that the rep was just being unhelpful.

Some gas stations require zip codes and some require your PIN, but I have found that an increasing number don't anymore. Costco, for example, now accepts Visa credit cards, and my Visa credit card (that has a chip) has some sort of automatic authorization limit where not even a PIN or ZIP is needed. When I fill up my car with gas from Costco, I don't need to type in anything. I just enter my credit card, push "CREDIT" when the prompt for debit or credit comes up, and pump away.
Old Aug 15th 2016, 7:28 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cautiousjon
You can go back inside and get an adjustment from the clerk if you have overpaid.
..... I can do that with my local gas station if I pay with cash. .....
.... I would imagine that the rep was just being unhelpful. .....
And yet you specify that you can do it (only?) if you pay with cash.

I never buy gas with cash.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 15th 2016 at 8:39 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2016, 8:18 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

And yet you specify that you can do it (only?) if you pay with cash.
So I guess the only stumbling block is a debit card (which I have no experience of), as it is obviously irrelevant with a credit card!
Old Aug 15th 2016, 8:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

So I guess the only stumbling block is a debit card (which I have no experience of), as it is obviously irrelevant with a credit card! ....
Huh? Why is it irrelevant with a credit card? ..... I don't have a debit card and have never used one in the US.
Old Aug 15th 2016, 10:36 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Huh? Why is it irrelevant with a credit card? ..... I don't have a debit card and have never used one in the US.

Because we are talking about gas stations with a pay in advance rule, and wherever I have pumped gas with a credit card, there is no "ante up a certain amount in advance" criteria -- that is only for cash and sometimes debit customers (to ensure there's enough in the account). It is just pay at the pump, whatever amount one runs up, when using a credit card. If it is different for you, then it is a "your mileage may differ" regional thing.
Old Aug 16th 2016, 12:06 am

Because we are talking about gas stations with a pay in advance rule, and wherever I have pumped gas with a credit card, there is no "ante up a certain amount in advance" criteria -- that is only for cash and sometimes debit customers (to ensure there's enough in the account). ....
Ah, I see what you're thinking, but that isn't the case.

(i) I only ever buy gas with a credit card, but I have had to prepay on several occasions most recently just a few weeks ago. The incident I described above in post #240, related to an attempted purchase with a credit card.

(ii) If the pump card reader doesn't work, or my card has an "issue" (BP cards only work at the pump for three gas purchases per day, also my card was "flagged" recently and I had to go in and show ID), then you have to prepay inside, even though you're paying with a credit card.

(iii) The rules and procedures for prepaying and do impact purchases with a credit card.
Old Aug 16th 2016, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

Tanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, so getting fuel sounds complicated.... Think I might just check with the cashier what the deal is before attempting to fuel up
It looks like the weather has taken a turn for the worse, at least according to my weather app Dallas appears to have become somewhat rainy. Is that accurate? Just trying to work out what to expect so I can pack accordingly lol! Still gotta get some bits for the plane to keep our kiddies entertained as well.... And that all important mozzie repellant and suncream!
Anyone taking/taken their little ones to the rodeo? Apparently you can book booths which are better for families as the kids have some room to play there... Just wondering if it's quite rowdy or "brutal" as I've never been to one (obvs) so not sure it's so appropriate for kids...?!
Old Aug 16th 2016, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

My arrival in the US was interesting with the gas situation, my lovely wife hadn't informed me it was prepay! So I spent a while battling with an non dispensing pump, until a helpful local told me I had to prepay, so then obviously my UK card didn't work, by which time I was more than irritated. So I finally ate my pride and went inside to the cashier, who swiped my card, authorized the pump, I then could dispense gas, went back inside to sign for how much I used. So bloody simple when you know how!!

Me and Mrs DJ had words later, think she called me a dick, and said 'now you know how I felt in UK'

Well we are all guilty of assuming the other person knows the rules of a different country!

Last edited by dj6372; Aug 16th 2016 at 11:34 am.
Old Aug 16th 2016, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

Pugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond repute

Just one more difference to get used to! I've been avoiding paying for gas on my UK cards so I don't get hit with the conversion charges, once I get a US account setup I'll have to remember this.
Old Aug 16th 2016, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

When I use my debit card at a gas station, it asks for my PIN. If I use a credit card, it asks for my billing ZIP code. For that reason, I would expect that you would be unable to use a UK debit or credit card at the pump but there should be no problem taking it inside. Usually, they will want to hold on to the card until you're done which always makes me nervous. I would rather they run the card at that point for a set amount.

Often, when paying at the pump with a credit card, they will pre-authorize an amount (usually between $60 & $100) with the CC company. This will appear on your account but will then be adjusted to the actual amount a day-or-so later.
Old Aug 16th 2016, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by chawkins99
.... Usually, they will want to hold on to the card until you're done which always makes me nervous. I would rather they run the card at that point for a set amount. ....
In my limited experience (3-4 times, different stations, months or years apart), that is what they do, and I wasn't offered any alternative.
Old Aug 16th 2016, 4:40 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kodokan
Online shopping... sadly not a thing here. I loved the online service in Switzerland - 15 mins of pulling up last week's list, tweaking a little, and sending, then magic elves did all the work and turned up the next day with all our food and put it in my kitchen. I didn't have a car there, and that saving easily covered off the few francs delivery charge.

There are some services separate to the supermarkets that will go and shop for you and deliver, but you pay for the convenience (one operating here adds a surcharge of 7% per item, plus delivery). And there are kerbside pick up services, where the supermarket will shop for and bag your order, and you then collect it. I haven't tried those - once I've actually driven there, I may as well shop myself.
several of the north dallas area stores for kroger and walmart now do online shopping. They however do not deliver - you pick it up at an appointed time. Ive seen locals swear its the best service ever, and also the worst so the service may be of variable quality.
Old Aug 16th 2016, 4:47 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tanja87
Ok, so getting fuel sounds complicated.... Think I might just check with the cashier what the deal is before attempting to fuel up
It looks like the weather has taken a turn for the worse, at least according to my weather app Dallas appears to have become somewhat rainy. Is that accurate? Just trying to work out what to expect so I can pack accordingly lol! Still gotta get some bits for the plane to keep our kiddies entertained as well.... And that all important mozzie repellant and suncream!
Anyone taking/taken their little ones to the rodeo? Apparently you can book booths which are better for families as the kids have some room to play there... Just wondering if it's quite rowdy or "brutal" as I've never been to one (obvs) so not sure it's so appropriate for kids...?!
Yes, the weather is now cooler but rainy with thunderstorms - the weather apps are usually pretty accurate for the next 5 days (I think you are arriving this weekend?) and somewhat accurate after that. It is still going to feel hot for you though and with the humidity it is going to feel very clammy. In terms of clothing, just bring umbrellas and some shoes you don't mind getting wet - flip flops?jelly shoes? crocs? It is too hot to wear rainjackets - even light weight ones. If you get wet in this heat, it doesn't feel cold and you probably aren't going to be hanging around too much in the rain anyway.

Has it been decided that you are definitely moving to Dallas in the near future? If so, then just open a bank account (Wells Fargo ?) as soon as you arrive and put some cash in there - you'll get temporary, fully functioning debit cards immediately to use at petrol stations etc. If not, then think about buying a preloaded visa card from walgreens or target or the supermarket to use.
Old Aug 16th 2016, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
.... In terms of clothing, just bring umbrellas and some shoes you don't mind getting wet - flip flops?jelly shoes? crocs? It is too hot to wear rainjackets - even light weight ones. If you get wet in this heat, it doesn't feel cold ....
I agree, summer rain here is nothing like the UK - the water comes down warm, and even a heavy storm dries up very quickly because the ground is so hot, and after it stops raining, everything just steams. You can't walk barefoot on concrete or asphalt where the sun has been shining during the day because you would burn your feet.
Old Aug 16th 2016, 5:40 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

yeah raincoats just trap the steam IN the coat lol!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.