Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK to Texas - what's it really like?

UK to Texas - what's it really like?

Old Aug 17th 2016, 7:40 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to Texas - what's it really like?

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
I don't think you can use a pre-loaded card at the pump or, if you do, it will block a large value which will take some time to clear.

You would need to go to the cashier to pay.
According to the visa gift card site, you can pay at the pump but it will block off a certain amount on the card - just like a normal visa card. If your gift card balance is too low to do this then you're right, you would need to go to the cashier.
Old Aug 17th 2016, 7:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Using Travelex at the airport to get cash $100 would cost you £69.84.
Really? That would be an exchange rate of £1 = $1.4318 which seems rather optimistic when the interbank rate is currently hovering around $1.30.
Old Aug 17th 2016, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

Tanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond repute

No company credit card I'm afraid, just expenses to be claimed afterwards, and only for hubby of course... Usually if we travel we pre-order our foreign currency from I think Travelex and then take with us however much we think we'll need on the day. Never had a problem with that so far but I think we'll do the credit card thing for this trip.
10 days to go! I'm sure we'll take a few days to adjust, jet lag and cultural differences and all that but I seriously can't wait! Gotta still finalise out to-do lists etc, very exciting!
Old Aug 17th 2016, 7:48 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Just for my own interest...

Barclaycard and First Direct Visa will both charge 2.99% on all non-sterling transactions. First Direct had a £3 minimum transaction fee for cash machines.

Using the Visa European processing site (linked to from First Direct Visa) https://www.visaeurope.com/making-pa...exchange-rates
Spending $100 would cost you £80.07 at today's rate and including the 2.99% fee.

Using Travelex at the airport to get cash $100 would cost you £69.84.

Both Barclaycard and First Direct visa wrote on their sites that the 2.99% transaction fees are waived only if you have a promotional offer on the credit card. The details for foreign transactions can be found on the back of the statements apparently.
Travelex will give you $1 for every 69p? ..... They ain't gonna stay in business very long at thay rate given that the mid sterling-dollar rate is about $1 for every 76p ($1.30/£1).

Originally Posted by Olly_
Really? That would be an exchange rate of £1 = $1.4318 which seems rather optimistic when the interbank rate is currently hovering around $1.30.
Her calculation is badly off somewhere. ..... I suspect that she has used the rate at which they will take dollars and give you pounds, so if the spread is symmetrical around the mid market rate, they'll give you $1 for roughly every 85p ($100 for £85), or about 5/80ths (6.25%) greater cost that using a credit card.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 17th 2016 at 7:58 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2016, 7:58 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Good catch!

I used the wrong travelex site...
using the UK site (!!) https://checkout.travelex.co.uk/gb

exchange rate is 1.2689 USD U.S. Dollar = 1 GBP

Visa site:
Currencies fluctuate every day. The rate shown applies to transactions processed by Visa Europe on 17 August 2016 with a currency conversion fee of 2.99%

100.00 United States Dollar = 80.07 Pound Sterling

1 United States Dollar = 0.8006685843 Pound Sterling

- Or -

1 Pound Sterling = 1.2489562094 United States Dollar
Old Aug 17th 2016, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

that's why I recommended to check the details for their cards. My Chase card offers the same but the exchange rate left a bit to be desired as I found out when I got back.
My husband was back in the UK for work last week, used our Chase cards (which have no foreign transaction fee) and the rates were within 0.5% of the mid-market rate - what were you seeing? Either way it's a lot cheaper and less hassle than exchanging cash!

On a side note, MasterCards tend to give a slightly better foreign exchange rate than Visa (or Amex) but the difference is minimal and it can be worse at times too.
Old Aug 17th 2016, 8:09 pm
Austin. TX.

My husband was back in the UK for work last week, used our Chase cards (which have no foreign transaction fee) and the rates were within 0.5% of the mid-market rate - what were you seeing? Either way it's a lot cheaper and less hassle than exchanging cash!

On a side note, MasterCards tend to give a slightly better foreign exchange rate than Visa (or Amex) but the difference is minimal and it can be worse at times too.
I can't remember the rate but it was AUS$ to US$ not to sterling.
Old Aug 17th 2016, 8:10 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

My husband was back in the UK for work last week, used our Chase cards (which have no foreign transaction fee) and the rates were within 0.5% of the mid-market rate - what were you seeing? Either way it's a lot cheaper and less hassle than exchanging cash! .....
Exactly! People often get hung up on the fees and charges for using a credit card overseas, but overlook the fact that the underlying exchange rate is often extremely close to the mid rate.
Old Aug 17th 2016, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ignoring the convenience factor, using a credit card with no foreign transaction fees is the cheapest way to spend money abroad.

I can't be doing with cash, I think I was given $80 last Christmas and most of it is still in my wallet!
Old Aug 17th 2016, 8:16 pm
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Exactly! People often get hung up on the fees and charges for using a credit card overseas, but overlook the fact that the underlying exchange rate is often extremely close to the mid rate.
so is it close? I've just posted the visa rate for today. I chose First Direct and Barclays just because they are accounts I am familiar with but both are charging 2.99% transaction fees as a norm.
Old Aug 17th 2016, 8:18 pm

Ignoring the convenience factor, using a credit card with no foreign transaction fees is the cheapest way to spend money abroad.

I can't be doing with cash, I think I was given $80 last Christmas and most of it is still in my wallet!
Until little Miss P was old enough to receive pocket money I used to make $20 last about 3 months, and mostly I gave it away $2-$4 at a time in cash tips for lunch or at cafeterias or buffet restaurants.
Old Aug 17th 2016, 8:20 pm
Austin. TX.

you don't have teenagers then??
Old Aug 17th 2016, 8:28 pm

so is it close? I've just posted the visa rate for today. I chose First Direct and Barclays just because they are accounts I am familiar with but both are charging 2.99% transaction fees as a norm.
When the spread on cash might be +/- 6-8% or more, a 3% "fee" on a rate spread that is say +/- 1%, is a bargain.

If the spread is 8%, and the midrate is $1.30, then you get $1.20 for every £1. Or $1 costs you 83p

If the spread is say 1%, and you pay a 3% fee then you get $1.25 for every £1, or $1 costs you 80p.

(All numbers rounded to the nearest 1p.)

It's worth checking what your bank charges for foreign cc transactions, but in my experience both British and US credit cards are a pretty good deal when compared to obtaining and/or carrying cash. The safety and protection of using a card is a welcome bonus.
Old Aug 17th 2016, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

When in the UK earlier this year, I used my VISA debit card to withdraw cash from an ATM. The exchange rate was within 1c of the mid-rate but MY bank charged me $5 ATM fee. Worked out around 7% for a £50 withdrawal. When I used the card for purchases, I was charged 3%. I made a total of 5 transactions, 2 of which were in Toronto airport on my way home.
Old Aug 18th 2016, 2:55 am
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

you don't have teenagers then??
Even The Dude has his own account with debit card. I just transfer $$ to him online now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.