Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK to Texas - what's it really like?

UK to Texas - what's it really like?

Old Jul 14th 2016, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

Tanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to Texas - what's it really like?

Oh dear.... I suppose now at least I know why car insurance is so expensive! Haha!
You also need to get your driver's license converted, don't you? Before you can get insurance?
What did everyone do going over there? Rent until you got your Green Card and then buy a place? Just wondering what's the best way to go on that...
Old Jul 14th 2016, 7:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tanja87
Oh dear.... I suppose now at least I know why car insurance is so expensive! Haha!
You also need to get your driver's license converted, don't you? Before you can get insurance?
What did everyone do going over there? Rent until you got your Green Card and then buy a place? Just wondering what's the best way to go on that...
Look on the Texas DMV's website for info and timeline for getting a Texas Driving license. Always rent until you have permanent status.
Old Jul 14th 2016, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Texas has a Department of Public Safety (DPS). It also has a DMV, but it's responsible for vehicle registration only. More info is here: https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/DriverLicense/
Old Jul 14th 2016, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

FinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cautiousjon
As someone who lives in California, I have more income removed from my taxable pay than you would if you were living in Texas. As a W2 employee, these are the typical (tax) deductions from my pay.
...snip...
Total deductions: 42.13%
To be fair, those tax figures are for a nicely six-figure salary - not everyone here in good old California ends up with 40%+ tax deductions. However this isn't exactly the land of no taxes either! My tax rate has remained fairly constant through several international moves ending up here in SoCal, even though my income thankfully hasn't...

Something that hasn't been mentioned is that the tax system in the US favors home owners in that mortgage interest is tax deductible. This is a provision that does not exist anywhere else in the world, if I recall correctly.
Interestingly, Finland does the same thing. It doesn't exactly help to keep property prices in check there either... With SoCal property prices the mortgage interest and property tax deductions do make a pretty big difference in your taxes though. Suddenly I'm getting a refund!

Most of my friends in California that have a house have to pay HOA fees. Some HOA fees are incredibly steep; to the tune of $800+ per month (albeit that's in an area with $1 million+ houses), but most seem to be a few hundred per month.
HOA fees are very area-dependent. I don't pay one and would be unlikely to buy a house in an HOA, but that's more because I like the older urban neighborhoods here. No HOA and five minutes by bike to half a dozen breweries, but the downside is you'll end up with an 85-year-old 1000sqft house and still end up paying a stupid amount of money for it! However all newer developments seem to be in HOA areas.
Old Jul 14th 2016, 10:05 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Look on the Texas DMV's website for info and timeline for getting a Texas Driving license. Always rent until you have permanent status.
90 day in Texas, ..... and if Tanja has a German licence, or can get one reissued, I think she can swap it for a Texas license and avoid the, .... er, ... effort and stress of taking the Texas road test.
Old Jul 15th 2016, 4:45 am
Forum Regular

Tanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh is that right? Hmmm, will definitely need to look into that! Makes sense I guess, seeing as it's back to driving on the same side of the road again
Old Jul 15th 2016, 11:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh is that right? Hmmm, will definitely need to look into that! Makes sense I guess, seeing as it's back to driving on the same side of the road again
Don't worry honey, the Texas driving test is one of the easiest things you will do when you get here.

You just have to get used to seeing 15 year olds driving around in huge dually trucks
Old Jul 15th 2016, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

Haha! Yeah, I've heard the cars are rather big there lol! And yeah, totally forgot they get to drive quite young.... That must be weird!
Silly question maybe - is Green Card "permanent" enough to buy a house out there or would you need to go for citizenship for that... Cause the Green Card does require renewal, doesn't it?
Old Jul 15th 2016, 5:38 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Haha! Yeah, I've heard the cars are rather big there lol! And yeah, totally forgot they get to drive quite young.... That must be weird!
Silly question maybe - is Green Card "permanent" enough to buy a house out there or would you need to go for citizenship for that... Cause the Green Card does require renewal, doesn't it?
I green card represents "permanent residence" and is renewable on demand, unless you become a criminal, when serious crimes might see your green card revoked and you being deported. .... So yes, buying a house while on a green card should be no problem, and in fact I bought while on a green card myself.
Old Jul 15th 2016, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

Great! Thank you
So hubby said tonight it would be a 1-2 year plan, if at all, so that was a bit of a bummer (I was counting on up to one year...) But gotta remain positive I guess... I'll keep researching and asking you lovely lot! Such an amazing community here
Old Jul 16th 2016, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Careful...we moved for 1 to 2 years...that was 20 years ago.
I think Tanja meant it would take 1-2 years to get here, not that they only intended to stay for 1-2 years.
Old Jul 16th 2016, 1:12 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I think Tanja meant it would take 1-2 years to get here, not that they only intended to stay for 1-2 years.
Ok thanks. Heads a little messed up today.
Old Jul 16th 2016, 3:00 am
Forum Regular

Yes, Pulaski, you're right. I was really hoping to be over there around this time next year but 2 years seems like a long time... Plus our eldest would start school here next year so I don't know how I feel about taking her out of her school after 1 year and moving half way around the globe... :-/
Old Jul 16th 2016, 4:53 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, Pulaski, you're right. I was really hoping to be over there around this time next year but 2 years seems like a long time... Plus our eldest would start school here next year so I don't know how I feel about taking her out of her school after 1 year and moving half way around the globe... :-/
At that age, it likely wouldn't be a concern at all. Don't forget that while she would have completed a year of school, the kids over here wouldn't (other than any who attended preschool) so they'd all be starting new anyway. She'd likely be ahead of her peers to begin with, which might give her a confidence boost as well.
Old Jul 16th 2016, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you, Wintersong! She could do with a confidence boost lol! Hopefully it'll all work out (asap!!) and be fine.... Lol! Seriously can't wait to hopefully finally change our lives for (hopefully) the better - it's about time we finally made the move we've been dreaming about <3 xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.