Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK to Texas - what's it really like?

UK to Texas - what's it really like?

Old Aug 2nd 2016, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

Tanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to Texas - what's it really like?

Well that's a bit scary..... Hubby's colleagues told him that the mozzies are bad but they tend to use sun cream with repellent in. But weird nasty viruses, that's not cool! Would sun cream with repellent suffice? Do they do specific ones for kids? We were gonna buy these things (including other toiletries) when we get out there as we need to hit the shops for groceries anyway (self-catering) - do you guys think that'd be enough or is it vital we have repellent the second we step off the plane? Sorry, I don't wanna come across paranoid but travelling with small kids I do tend to worry about pretty much anything and everything....
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tanja87
Well that's a bit scary..... Hubby's colleagues told him that the mozzies are bad but they tend to use sun cream with repellent in. But weird nasty viruses, that's not cool! Would sun cream with repellent suffice? Do they do specific ones for kids? We were gonna buy these things (including other toiletries) when we get out there as we need to hit the shops for groceries anyway (self-catering) - do you guys think that'd be enough or is it vital we have repellent the second we step off the plane? Sorry, I don't wanna come across paranoid but travelling with small kids I do tend to worry about pretty much anything and everything....
The important ingredient to look for is DEET in sun screens and insect repellant. I once got seriously ill in Louisiana in 1994 and the doctor brought in his colleague in for a 2nd opinion. They asked me if I had been bitten by any mosquitoes recently. I told them I was a soccer referee so I get bitten all the time. They thought I might have mosquito born encephalitis, but it turned out I "only" had viral meningitis. Those were in the days when mosquitoes in the "deep south" did not carry the more exotic diseases.
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

Tanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond repute

Holy smokes! Hope you were ok!
I'll make sure we look out for DEET and will probably pick up a small bottle of repellent before we go, just to be sure no one gets bitten before we get a chance to shop.... Thank you so much for the advice!
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Holy smokes! Hope you were ok!
I'll make sure we look out for DEET and will probably pick up a small bottle of repellent before we go, just to be sure no one gets bitten before we get a chance to shop.... Thank you so much for the advice!
A couple of test tubes of fluid from a lumbar puncture confirmed the diagnosis and relieved a lot of the pressure. I was okay after a couple of weeks. Thanks for asking.

I'm sure you'll be able to find some insect repellant with DEET in the UK. You'll be fine.
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

Oooooh, lumbar punctures are nasty though... Glad you were ok in the end!
I'll do some research on the repellents available here. We still have 3 weeks before we go on our visit - if push comes to shove I'm sure I can order one online before we go. Better safe than sorry! Wouldn't want a bit of carelessness to ruin our trip, especially if it's something you lovely lot have given me advice on and that's really quite simple to avoid.
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Oooooh, lumbar punctures are nasty though... Glad you were ok in the end!
I'll do some research on the repellents available here. We still have 3 weeks before we go on our visit - if push comes to shove I'm sure I can order one online before we go. Better safe than sorry! Wouldn't want a bit of carelessness to ruin our trip, especially if it's something you lovely lot have given me advice on and that's really quite simple to avoid.
Just Google DEET in UK and you will get many answers. Looks like Boots have one.
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 9:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

DEET is dreadful stuff it melts paint/plastic. I realize it's an effective way to repel some bugs but I would rather live somewhere bugs are not such a huge problem than put that stuff on my skin.
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
DEET is dreadful stuff it melts paint/plastic. I realize it's an effective way to repel some bugs but I would rather live somewhere bugs are not such a huge problem than put that stuff on my skin.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...h-dangers.html

DEET mosquito repellent ‘is safe’: British scientists say benefits of insecticide linked to brain disease outweigh the dangers
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 10:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I would never put that stuff on a child. Goodness knows how it will affect them in years to come.
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

I have to say I do tend to be quite careful and picky with what products I use on my kids but that article has put my mind at ease a bit so thank you for posting it. I think in this case the potential benefits definitely outweigh the potential risks.
Right, complete shift of topics here, but what have you all found the locals to be like? Was it quite easy to make new friends there and form meaningful relationships? Or do you find the locals are a bit reserved towards expats?
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Right, complete shift of topics here, but what have you all found the locals to be like? Was it quite easy to make new friends there and form meaningful relationships? Or do you find the locals are a bit reserved towards expats?
Speaking for Houston we found that we were extremely well received and it was very easy to make friends so I expect Dallas to be similar. Our 2 kids were aged 4 and 6 when we arrived.
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 11:47 am
Banned

Canveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond reputeCanveydave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
Speaking for Houston we found that we were extremely well received and it was very easy to make friends so I expect Dallas to be similar. Our 2 kids were aged 4 and 6 when we arrived.
I would echo this.

We have found it much tougher in Orlando than we ever did in Texas. Texans are largely very welcoming people
Old Aug 4th 2016, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

RickyOtto is an unknown quantity at this point

Sheesh! All these expenses got my head spinning! Thank you all for your detailed responses though - Definitely a lot more stuff to research there.... Hopefully hubby's colleagues could help as and when/if the time comes as well.
What would you all say is your most/least favourite thing about living over there? I'm hearing a lot of bad things (too hot, one expense after the other - not that I'm complaining! I do want/need to know these things!) but you're all still there so it can't be all bad

Im not going to read all 12 pages so apologies if this response is totally out of context with the thread given I'm only on page 2.

I moved with work to Houston in December 2015 and everyone warned us about the heat. And mozzies. But I have to say having come from London I absolutely love it here. The heat isn't too bad, and not as bad as a muggy day in London, because you can go and hide in the aircon and it feels less muggy. And to be honest I absolutely love the warmth, and it still surprises me and warms the cockles of my heart when I step out of the office each day. It's been about 33-38 degrees for a couple of months now. I even manage to play soccer each day at midday for an hour which can be brutal but is manageable.

The drive time distances are long, but even the traffic jams aren't too bad. Rather than static London travel you're still going at 10-30mph during traffic jams. The standard of driving here though is truly horrific! Defensive driving is essential.

So far we are financially better off. Nursery is way cheaper than London in Texas as is fuel. Taxes may be lower but even out as others have said with health insurance, motor insurance, property taxes. But salaries tend to be higher.

I'd say if you fancy a change then just do it. Don't worry about what may or may not be better or worse at the other end.

We love it here. We have made loads of friends already as people are very welcoming and nice. Its quite the contrast to our old life just how friendly everyone is. Maybe its the sun that cheers people up.

At weekends there is always stuff to do.....art galleries, splash pads, birthday parties, socializing and bbqs, and LOADS of swimming.

My daughter basically thinks she has landed in Disneyland. Its a wealthy country and there is just far more opportunity to enjoy life here. :-)

Last edited by RickyOtto; Aug 4th 2016 at 4:13 pm.
Old Aug 4th 2016, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

Pugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
Exactly right from our experience. Since retiring in 2010 we leave Texas from March/April through to late October or early November. This year we are in England, with a cabin booked on the QM2 on November 5th.

The last few years in our town, The Woodlands, north of Houston, we usually get an email Alert that mosquitoes carrying West Nile and Dengue Fever have been found and that residents should avoid being outside at dawn and dusk, and at other times to use repellent containing DEET.
Great! That's probably where we're going to live :/
Old Aug 4th 2016, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pugilation
Great! That's probably where we're going to live :/
Don't worry about it, going outside is for the birds.

In Texas the outside is just an illusion brought on by lack of air conditioning.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.