Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Uk passport renewal times in the USA

Uk passport renewal times in the USA

Old Mar 5th 2013, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

janine74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Uk passport renewal times in the USA

they sent me a letter asking for the ID copy so i sent two to be safe...
i hope that if they wanted more the letter would have stated more... fingers crossed that the passport now gets here soon!

i looked on FEDEX and it was delivered at 10 am so now i wait.. I did it overnight to make it faster
Old Mar 5th 2013, 5:48 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by janine74
they sent me a letter asking for the ID copy so i sent two to be safe...
i hope that if they wanted more the letter would have stated more... fingers crossed that the passport now gets here soon!

i looked on FEDEX and it was delivered at 10 am so now i wait.. I did it overnight to make it faster
At least you know it's already with the examiner, because it's he or she who sends the more info requests. Now they have what they need it shouldn't be much longer You'll definitely have it well before May, but still work on waiting anywhere up to another 4 weeks for a new passport application to be processed. One the examiner has finished doing his or her job it still has to go to the UK for them to make up the passport...but that shouldn't take long.

Hang in there !
Old Mar 5th 2013, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

well i hope not. it is very stressful sitting here waiting for it to come in the mail

i am sure if they needed utility bills and such it would have had it in the letter.

I sent my old teenage passport so that I am sure helped with all my information. I am assuming anyway..
Old Mar 5th 2013, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

oh! one more thing...is it ture the DHL contacts you via email to tell you something is arriving?
Old Mar 5th 2013, 6:13 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Just to add to my own frustration... I have just received a phone call from the examiner regarding my passport. Even though I sent every document known to man (which they said was just fine - so no problems there), the fact that I indicated on the application that I have held a UK passport before (even though I did say it was accidentally destroyed which was why i wasn't attaching it), they now have to send a request through to the UK for proof that I've had a UK passport before.

They're trying to just make it a renewal rather than a first time application, so i asked if they couldn't find it (from the system in DC that is) couldn't they just treat it as a first time application, but she said No....I'd mentioned a previous UK passport so they have to research that..if nothing can be found they'll have to try something else.

So now she said that check with the UK will take a couple of weeks max..so she said if I don't hear anything else from her, my passport will arrive at my door.

I can't understand why they can't just process it as a new application, especially as they know my old one was destroyed and they have all the documentation.

Sigh!!!!
Old Mar 5th 2013, 6:15 pm
Yorkshire Lass

Originally Posted by janine74
oh! one more thing...is it ture the DHL contacts you via email to tell you something is arriving?
From what I've read on here, sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. People have mentioned that sometimes the documents and passport just arrive at the door with DHL asking for your signature. Some people have mentioned they get a phone call from DHL saying they have a delivery and some people have received an email.

I can't remember if people have said they've received a phone call AND an email or not..lol. Maybe if you didn't put an email they call you and if you didn't put a phone number they email you. Just a guess there though.

But either way it's DHL that do the delivering...LOL
Old Mar 5th 2013, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by WhoFan63
Just to add to my own frustration... I have just received a phone call from the examiner regarding my passport. Even though I sent every document known to man (which they said was just fine - so no problems there), the fact that I indicated on the application that I have held a UK passport before (even though I did say it was accidentally destroyed which was why i wasn't attaching it), they now have to send a request through to the UK for proof that I've had a UK passport before.

They're trying to just make it a renewal rather than a first time application, so i asked if they couldn't find it (from the system in DC that is) couldn't they just treat it as a first time application, but she said No....I'd mentioned a previous UK passport so they have to research that..if nothing can be found they'll have to try something else.

So now she said that check with the UK will take a couple of weeks max..so she said if I don't hear anything else from her, my passport will arrive at my door.

I can't understand why they can't just process it as a new application, especially as they know my old one was destroyed and they have all the documentation.

Sigh!!!!
UGGG! if we have to send everything to DC everything should really be linked so they can see all the info...
I WISH my examiner would call me! Then i could have faxed them my ID instead I had to pay another 40 dollars...
Well I am sure your process will move quickly!
I have to sit and wait wondering who has my ID copys in their hands!!!!

Keep me informed!
Old Mar 12th 2013, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

kylejw is an unknown quantity at this point

Since this process had me quite stressed (somewhat close deadline to planned travel date), I thought I'd post my experience.

I applied from Canada but the process and experience should be identical to an application from the US.

Background info:
- Applying for first passport
- British citizen by descent (born 1987 to a British mother, Canadian father)

Documents sent:
- My birth certificate containing the full names of my parents
- Mother's long form birth certificate which I ordered from http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/
The process for obtaining my mother's birth certificate was very painless and the cert came almost as fast as the one I had to order for myself!
- My existing Canadian passport (I later learned that a photocopy of the picture page should suffice, but I'd ask online or phone assistance first)
- Photocopy of both sides of my Alberta driver's license
- Two identical photos as per the passport requirements. They had small, barely visible watermarks on the back which said "Fuji". I was worried about this but I went on the online chat and the gentleman there assured me this wouldn't be a problem
- Passport application form C1. Only issue I had filling this out is I don't know any British professionals. The chat representative also assured me that a Canadian professional would suffice, since I'm in Canada, so I had an Engineer colleague do the signing on the photo and form.

Timeline:
February 19th - application delivered in Washington
February 25th - Credit card charged $257
March 11th - DHL attempted delivery of the passport. I wasn't there (d'oh!)
March 12th - DHL delivered passport and I received the email from DHL

Very satisfied with the time taken as I had expected a much longer wait
Haven't gotten my other documents back yet but I expect them this week.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 5:31 pm
Just Joined

janemin61 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thought you would like to know after a couple of hiccups,I received my passport today by DHL.

Sent in Jan 31st by US Priority Mail
British consulate signed for it Feb 15th
Funds cleared March 3rd
Passport delivered March 13th

The reason for initial hold up was the bank .Even though I had notified the bank previously, to expect a transaction from UK Passport,they kept on refusing it .Finally the matter was resolved after more phone calls. So please be aware .I would not have known unless the consulate had not me & told me my bank had refused the transaction numerous times.
By the way I had no notice from DHL that they were going to deliver today.Some of you mentioned that they had received email or phone call.
Thanks to those who were so very helpful with your support & advise.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

Wolfpit228 has a reputation beyond reputeWolfpit228 has a reputation beyond reputeWolfpit228 has a reputation beyond reputeWolfpit228 has a reputation beyond reputeWolfpit228 has a reputation beyond reputeWolfpit228 has a reputation beyond reputeWolfpit228 has a reputation beyond reputeWolfpit228 has a reputation beyond reputeWolfpit228 has a reputation beyond reputeWolfpit228 has a reputation beyond reputeWolfpit228 has a reputation beyond repute

Great to know you've finally got it!
Old Mar 13th 2013, 5:37 pm
Yorkshire Lass

Originally Posted by janemin61
Thought you would like to know after a couple of hiccups,I received my passport today by DHL.

Sent in Jan 31st by US Priority Mail
British consulate signed for it Feb 15th
Funds cleared March 3rd
Passport delivered March 13th

The reason for initial hold up was the bank .Even though I had notified the bank previously, to expect a transaction from UK Passport,they kept on refusing it .Finally the matter was resolved after more phone calls. So please be aware .I would not have known unless the consulate had not me & told me my bank had refused the transaction numerous times.
By the way I had no notice from DHL that they were going to deliver today.Some of you mentioned that they had received email or phone call.
Thanks to those who were so very helpful with your support & advise.
I am glad you got it ! Now if only MINE would hurry up..lol. I can't remember, but was yours a renewal or a new one?? I think that my hiccup I mentioned a couple of posts ago has delayed mine by gosh knows how long. It's been a week since the examiner called me and mentioned them having to contact the UK, so now I just sit here waiting for the doorbell to ring and hoping to see DHL on the other side
Old Mar 13th 2013, 8:19 pm
Lelo

lelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond repute

Hello!
I sent my application in March 1.
Money Debited March 11.

Waiting to hear on rest now. I am a little nervous now as this is my first passport application (British Citizen - brought over to US as a child) and it seems like some have sent in different supporting documents.

I sent birth certificate, adoption certificate, copy of green card, copy of drivers license, and copy of US social security card (states INS authorization is needed) - plus pictures. I did speak with someone on the webchat and they seemed to believe I was okay but am getting very paranoid now. I have two questions: Did I space out and need additional supporting documentation? And at what point where you able to get some information on progress from them? I am trying to travel April 22 and don't want to wait to hear if there is a problem and then be delayed from that point on.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Old Mar 13th 2013, 8:26 pm
Yorkshire Lass

Originally Posted by lelo29uk
Hello!
I sent my application in March 1.
Money Debited March 11.

Waiting to hear on rest now. I am a little nervous now as this is my first passport application (British Citizen - brought over to US as a child) and it seems like some have sent in different supporting documents.

I sent birth certificate, adoption certificate, copy of green card, copy of drivers license, and copy of US social security card (states INS authorization is needed) - plus pictures. I did speak with someone on the webchat and they seemed to believe I was okay but am getting very paranoid now. I have two questions: Did I space out and need additional supporting documentation? And at what point where you able to get some information on progress from them? I am trying to travel April 22 and don't want to wait to hear if there is a problem and then be delayed from that point on.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Hi Lelo It usually takes 4-6 weeks for a first time application, and that is generally from the time they take the money out. But it can be quicker, depending on how busy they are. It sounds like you've supplied enough documentation though. Once the examiner has checked everything they send it over to the UK so they can make up your passport. They don't usually provide a status update until that time has passed or nearly passed and the web chat is the best way to go unless you want to pay for a phone call. If there are any problems you would receive a phone call from the examiner (like I did..lol)

Last edited by WhoFan63; Mar 13th 2013 at 8:28 pm. Reason: addition
Old Mar 13th 2013, 8:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Took 3 weeks for my husband to receive his new PP. He didn't get his photos countersigned and sent no documents/photocopies other than his old PP and the forms...including credit card details.

Edit: It was delivered by courier and a signature was required. The old PP was delivered the following day...again by courier and required a signature.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Mar 13th 2013 at 9:02 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 8:32 pm
Lelo

lelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you WhoFan63! I appreciate it! Will be my first trip back in 20 years and am just nervous about everything!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.