Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

Old Mar 27th 2013, 8:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Not unusual to find out of date products on the shelves here. I have taken stuff to customer services only to find it back on the shelf a while later.
At Wegmans, they've got a bit sticker sign on the Brit section saying the date format is different and things are not out of date

But things like mustard, does that really go out of date?
Old Mar 27th 2013, 9:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
At Wegmans, they've got a bit sticker sign on the Brit section saying the date format is different and things are not out of date

A few years ago there was a segment on our local news about meat sold in stores/supermarkets in NY. It's perfectly legal for the store to change the 'sell by date' to a later date if the meat is unsold.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 9:58 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
Starting to have some problems with Fresh and Easy.

Expiry dates. Latest incident was last week, colemans mustard, expires end of march 2013

Be careful out there
I was in a Fresh ad Easy in Folsom last week it was disgusting and dirty, never been a fan of the place but it was like a discount used old cruddy store!
Old Mar 27th 2013, 10:49 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

yeah not actually worried about the mustard so much Bob.
My local store had a 50% off steak sale so it should get used up pretty quick anyway

As well as the colemans we had a jar of grain mustard which expires in May.

Before that a bag of 6 avocados. All of them rotten on the inside. I don't buy produce from F&E anymore.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Enniskillen soon to be Clovis yes Clovis and not Fresno I repeat not Fresno!!!
Ryan NI will become famous soon enoughRyan NI will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Bet it wasn't cheap
$9 a pack but worth it now and again!!
Old Mar 28th 2013, 2:13 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ryan NI
$9 a pack but worth it now and again!!
We all need a little treat every now and then try Lunardis they also carry it but probably just as expensive if not more!
Old Mar 29th 2013, 1:12 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
Starting to have some problems with Fresh and Easy.

Expiry dates. Latest incident was last week, colemans mustard, expires end of march 2013

Be careful out there
Originally Posted by Nutek
Just Easy then.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 1:16 am

Grocery Outlet Ryvita all the varities $1.69
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 8:05 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
One of my pet peeves is the different date formats, which are a real problem in Canada.

The official date format is the ISO format, i.e. YYYY-MM-DD but I've seen everything you can think of, "use by" dates on things like pop are done in a way to use the least ink, e.g. JN 13 so you have to puzzle what that means. I know it seems obvious but not when it's a smudge of ink on the bottom of a can.

I went into Lowe's the other day and I was so pissed off by all the US dates and measurements I complained about it and got the sales assistant to convert everything into metric just to make my point.

Lost count of official forms that have the ISO format in one box and then DD-MM-YYYY further on. Or you have a form with the ISO format date on it that has to be entered into a computer system using the US date format.

I know everyone got pissed off in the UK when the EU forced everything to be labelled in metric but it was a good move, imo. In Canada they can use whatever labelling they want, I saw some floor tiles that were expressed in sq. ft. but the thickness was in mm. Toilets with the dimensions in inches and the capacity in litres.

Or another classic is the heating instructions on food, you should heat it at "400 degrees" or "200 degrees".

Now I'm going to go out and buy 3.78 litres of orange juice with an expiry date of 13 MA 13.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
One of my pet peeves is the different date formats, which are a real problem in Canada.

The official date format is the ISO format, i.e. YYYY-MM-DD but I've seen everything you can think of, "use by" dates on things like pop are done in a way to use the least ink, e.g. JN 13 so you have to puzzle what that means. I know it seems obvious but not when it's a smudge of ink on the bottom of a can.
That's an easy one compared to something like 0513. You have to consider if the last two digits are the day or year, by thinking about whether the food would last that long - easy for some things but not others. But there is always the nagging feeling that those numbers are just some production reference and have nothing to do with freshness, so you have to give it a sniff and a prod when you open it.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

Nokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to all

I was sad to see my local Publix has stopped selling Salad Cream .
Old Apr 24th 2013, 3:03 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nokoman
I was sad to see my local Publix has stopped selling Salad Cream .
Stop and Shop near us has suddenly stopped stocking it also.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

Nokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to all

To be more accurate the local Publix has cut out the Brit section totally

I limited myself to salad Cream and Heinz baked beans.
Old May 4th 2013, 8:19 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Crumpets!!!! Crumpets I tell you!!!

Sprouts Farmers Market in Katy.

And I've picked up some English pork bangers to try.

But the crumpets!!! Mmmm, we've just had some with some Kerrygold on (bought from Costco). And Irish cheddar. Mmmmm.
Old May 4th 2013, 8:20 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Weeze wants me to delete the above to prevent others buying them. I have not yet made up my mind...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.