Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

Old Dec 2nd 2011, 12:47 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Not for me another BE member mentioned it in another thread...bloody awful stuff
Agreed!
Old Dec 4th 2011, 2:30 pm
James Chesterton

megalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud of

You can get almost anything if you know where to look, even UK type Bacon and Cumberland sausages. The things I have never seen in the US are Saveloys, frozen Yorkshire puddings, decent smoked salmon and real UK type bagels.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 2:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megalaser
You can get almost anything if you know where to look, even UK type Bacon and Cumberland sausages. The things I have never seen in the US are Saveloys, frozen Yorkshire puddings, decent smoked salmon and real UK type bagels.
'real UK type bagels'...what are those?
Old Dec 4th 2011, 3:30 pm
James Chesterton

megalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud of

The kind you can only get in bakeries run by Jews mainly in London, the type of place where they bake on premises at 5am and sell fresh ones all day, they are fairly small, chewy inside, shiny on top and burnt on the bottom. The closest in the US are what they call real NY bagels but they are much larger and quite different.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 4:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

The kind you can only get in bakeries run by Jews mainly in London, the type of place where they bake on premises at 5am and sell fresh ones all day, they are fairly small, chewy inside, shiny on top and burnt on the bottom. The closest in the US are what they call real NY bagels but they are much larger and quite different.
OK after a quick Google...bagels are from Jewish origin...not British. Which explains why Jewish bakeries in London sell them.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 4:06 pm
James Chesterton

I didn't say that Bagels are from British origin, of course they are Jewish origin but the ones they sell in the UK in the real bagel bakeries are different from those available in the US. Hence the discussion about types of food that is available in the UK and not available in the US. Another thing that's difficult (but not impossible) to get in the US is crispy aromatic duck which is commonly available in most Chinese restaurants in the UK.

Last edited by megalaser; Dec 4th 2011 at 4:09 pm.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 7:37 am
Too young for BE

KetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by cheers
I've been to both of them. You probably know that you can get a discount card at the International Marketplace. I agree they have a huge selection.
Cheers
I know that I can get a discount card at the International Marketplace but I have only been there once and that was manny years ago and British Foods, Inc has since closed down. Which is sad. I went there a few times when I was a kid and remember talking to the women who worked there on the day that Wal Mart acquired ASDA. British Foods, Inc had a good selection but it was bloody expensive.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 12:53 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly that's why we have this thread 'if you know where to look"
Old Dec 5th 2011, 11:07 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Just came across this recipe for chewy bagels while flicking through a magazine, don't know if this is what you are talking about but they sound easy enough to make

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/real...0400000116727/
Old Dec 6th 2011, 12:18 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
'real UK type bagels'...what are those?
You need to give him a recipe for Yorkshire puds, too.
I've no idea why people would want to buy frozen ones, when they're so easy to make from scratch.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 12:31 pm
fsm
So I am where?

fsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid
You need to give him a recipe for Yorkshire puds, too.
I've no idea why people would want to buy frozen ones, when they're so easy to make from scratch.
They even had yorkshire puds on diners, dives & drive ins last night.

Made me want to go and make some.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 1:08 pm

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fsm
They even had yorkshire puds on diners, dives & drive ins last night.

Made me want to go and make some.
Go and make some, then.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 2:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid
Go and make some, then.

Hmmm....Toad in the Hole sounds good right now
Old Dec 6th 2011, 2:55 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Toadie is good anytime!!
Old Dec 6th 2011, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Toadie is good anytime!!
Agreed.
I'd need some decent sausages to make it with.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.