Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Trying to find a job in NC

Trying to find a job in NC

Old Aug 6th 2003, 2:10 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Again you spent the whole post missing every point and carrying on your petty personal attack on someone you do not know anything about. This is quite obvious from your posts.

I really don't have to justify anything to you, the problem is you have no concept of the situation in NC as you do not live here.

You completly avoided the question I posed about why you would advise someone to give up jobs and move to somewhere that has non. The reason I expect is because you are a flamer and your only purpose in life is ignite situations.

I am not a martyr and have not asked for sympathy, it fact its not me that points out my situation but others (who's lifes are far removed from mine and therefor have no idea what is going on here).

Find some one else to vent your sexual frustration on as, unless you can validate your argument to why you think these people should move here when it is not a good time to do so, I have had enough of your insulting, degrading, misguided, uneducated nonsense

Patrick

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RaymanInPA
Originally posted by Patrick
I love it, I love the fact you have no idea what your talking about and stand behind it. NC is in a bad way at the moment, I am not the only one out of work. I am not the only very qualified, very experienced person chasing very few jobs.

Funny how its always those guys who are the "very qualified" ones with lots of degrees who are always chasing the jobs and ending up with jack-shit. Patrick, you make me sad man, because you cant see the BS that your posting here! Bro, just because YOU cant find a job don't mean that no one can, just because you got an MA in Social Sciences don't mean someone with a B-Tech (or whatever it is these days) in Electronics wont find a job.

Please bro, stop turning it into such a me versus the world thing. RTP is humming along quite nicely, I don't live down there, but I have collegues who work between my companies PA and RTP site and theres plenty of opportunities down there for people who are prepared to take them.

I don't dispute you're having a hard time, but consider for one-second that your situation may be more due to your own inadequacy than the economic situation.

Not only am I very qualified and I more than capable, the problem is there are very many qualified and capable people out there.

Do you start off all your job interviews with that line? I'd guess that from your egotistical postings. "Not only am I Patrick one of the greatest techies in NC, I personally invented the Internet in 1996". What a joke! Get off your high-horse Patrick and come down to Earth, maybe you'll land on a job

You cannot compare what they did to what I am doing, you have no idea what I am doing and therefor cannot comment on it

...here we go again back into I Patrick Mode. Yeah, no one ever had it so bad as me Patrick. Yeah, I'm the martyr Patrick because no one ever lost their job before and had to take a pay cut. Yeah, feel sorry for me Patrick <swig of cheap beer> because no one ever had it tougher than me!!!

Look Patrick, stop pretending you're a martyr and some victim of the greatest tragedy to befaul a human and get off your arse and find a job. If you've got this sort of bitch-and-moan attitude in job interviews its no wonder you're still out of work! Trust me pal, LOTS OF PEOPLE have made it in the US who infact had a much harder time than you did and they aint bitching and moaning. Do you know what I went through when I came here? No. I didnt have a cake-walk either FYI but I aint bitching about.

"You on the other hand seem to have phsopathic tendencies, if people aren't saying what you want to hear they are whingers."

No, Patrick, a whinger to me is someone who is in the land of opportunity but still claims:

1. They cant find a job.
2. They're reallly, really well qualified.
3. They've been through so pain that they deserve saint-hood.
4. No ones ever had it as hard as them.

Thats what makes you a whinger Patrick, not that I disagree with you. Bro, listen to me, a couple of hundered years ago some Irish guys couldnt grow some potatoes so they left home and ended up in the US. How much opportunity do you think they had? How did they travel, did they have any fall-back options. NO. Even today theres people like that - refugees who come over with zero and make a decent living for themselves.

And then...

...theres you, who despite all the opportunities can't help but balls it all up and spend his time drinking cheap beer and bitching and moaning at his condition. Sorry man, I just cant feel that sorry for you.

Finally Patrick I got to address this part of your post which was hillarious, but in a way provided a valuable insight into your warped psychology

There is obviously something fundamentaly wrong with the pair of you if cannot make your point without personal and hurtful attacks. So lets get rid of that bit of this discussion and concentrate on the facts.

Now thats one hell of an interesting statement coming from someone whose main points are based around the words arsehole, ididot and ****.

Patrick man - a GENUINE peice of advice, have a break from the Bud this evening and take a good hard look in the mirror, in the US you've got the power and freedom to change what you see - just do it
Old Aug 6th 2003, 2:22 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... I really don't have to justify anything to you, the problem is you have no concept of the situation in NC as you do not live here.
But I DO live in NC, almost at the far end of the state from you, and it isn't as bad here as you describe it in your area. Your area might be in a slump, but Charlotte doesn't seem to be.

Personally I wouldn't recommend moving here on spec (without a job to come to) but there are jobs to be had, though not necessarily in IT.
Old Aug 6th 2003, 2:31 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pulaski
But I DO live in NC, almost at the far end of the state from you, and it isn't as bad here as you describe it in your area. Your area might be in a slump, but Charlotte doesn't seem to be.

Personally I wouldn't recommend moving here on spec (without a job to come to) but there are jobs to be had, though not necessarily in IT.
But isn't this my whole point! Even in Charlotte where you beleive the situation isn't too bad you still wouldn't recommend they up sticks and move.

The other thing is that you have a job, you are not activly looking for a job, you might have a different view of the situation if you where job hunting. Seeing 50 IT jobs in the paper is not the same as there being 50 IT jobs out there!

The other thing is that you have a highly romantic notion about living in america anyway. I guess I just prefer to see the dark side of things.The glass is always half-empty, and cracked, and I just cut my lip on it, and I chipped a tooth.

You keep saying your company is hiring, how many of these jobs are in the IT field or are entry level that a Software/IT professional could easily move into?

Patrick

Last edited by Patrick; Aug 6th 2003 at 1:05 pm.
Old Aug 6th 2003, 9:26 am
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

My point is not do it becuase you might be dead soon but rather that you dont know whats is around the corner and cant just live in the tommorrow. Life is a one shot deal and i dont like to see time wasted.

No one is suggesting the original poster who has gone quiet should give up their jobs and move to NC. That is their choice and thats is my point which you seem to entirely miss. It is not your place to tell people what to do with their lives. You are judgemental and patronising to people and thats is my complaint. By all means tell them about your experience an thenlet them make the choice themselves. In what way are you advising if you say only an idiot would move here now? In your opinion maybe but not everyone shares your outlook on risk.

I dont share Raymans comments about your inadequacy as i have also been unemployed once and it was tough. It took me 6 months to find work when i moved to Northern ireland and unemployment was at 13.5%. I appreciate it i can be tough sometimes.

I agree that i can not advise someone on NC as i dont live there. And unless i get offered a placeat Duke next year i am not likley to either. but i am not advsing them one way or the other its their choice ultimately.

regards,

Duncan
Old Aug 6th 2003, 1:02 pm
Pagan Sex God

I have just read through all my posts on this thread and I have only suggested these people wait a while (along with others). These neither being Judgemental or patronising. All I have ever said is that they should come over when NC is less depressed, they are grown ups and make there own decisions.

You on the other hand cannot talk about being judgemental or patronising as you are the one who took it on yourself to tell me how to get a job. As if I need another person telling me what I already know, your heart may be in the right place but it doesn't stop you from being patronising and judgemental.

In my job I carry out risk assesments, I make decisions effecting whole projects based on the risk of testing one component over another. In my opinion it is not worth trying to come to NC at the moment- this view I have made known and really it should of been left at that but you and Ray have taken it yourselfs to be the moral guardians of the NG and protect everyone from the evils of passing on opinions. But it doesn't stop the pair of you passing your opionions! Strange.

You seem to be turning full circle and have started to agree with me on points you didn't before. My one and only argument on this thread has been that it would be unwise to leave jobs in the UK and come NC at the moment with the economy as it is, wait. This is common sense, this is just an opinion and they can do what they want. I made the suggestion you live with your parents in law until you get on your feet, you took umbridge at the suggestion and gave me shit for even suggesting it. Now you are doing it. You are a grown man, I cannot make decisions for you but I can give an opinion to what I think would best help you. The trouble with advise is that people ask for it but then get pissed off when it is not the advise they want to hear.

Patrick

Originally posted by 17782023
My point is not do it becuase you might be dead soon but rather that you dont know whats is around the corner and cant just live in the tommorrow. Life is a one shot deal and i dont like to see time wasted.

No one is suggesting the original poster who has gone quiet should give up their jobs and move to NC. That is their choice and thats is my point which you seem to entirely miss. It is not your place to tell people what to do with their lives. You are judgemental and patronising to people and thats is my complaint. By all means tell them about your experience an thenlet them make the choice themselves. In what way are you advising if you say only an idiot would move here now? In your opinion maybe but not everyone shares your outlook on risk.

I dont share Raymans comments about your inadequacy as i have also been unemployed once and it was tough. It took me 6 months to find work when i moved to Northern ireland and unemployment was at 13.5%. I appreciate it i can be tough sometimes.

I agree that i can not advise someone on NC as i dont live there. And unless i get offered a placeat Duke next year i am not likley to either. but i am not advsing them one way or the other its their choice ultimately.

regards,

Duncan
Old Aug 6th 2003, 1:17 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

<snip>but you and Ray have taken it yourselfs to be the moral guardians of the NG and protect everyone from the evils of passing on opinions. But it doesn't stop the pair of you passing your opionions! Strange.
Patrick
Patrick has voiced his opinion on the job situation in NC and he is right. Judging by what goes on in our neck of the woods as far as IT, all you ever heard was news of various IT outfits closing down. So it's not hard to imagine the number of IT unemployed out there looking for jobs. My son has put his IT studies on hold and is concentrating on consolidating his position working in other fields. What appears to be more important these days is having any job at all. If anyone asked me, I would say don't give up a secure job where ever you are, to move here to look for jobs. It's a different story if you are moving here anyway, and have little choice in the matter...
In your case Duncan, you already have plans to move and have to take your chances. That's fine. But Patrick has stated his opinion from where he stands. So I think we should appreciate where he is coming from. That he uses somewhat colourful language to get his thoughts across, is something else altogether, IMHO
Old Aug 6th 2003, 1:20 pm
Pagan Sex God

Originally posted by Ranjini
That he uses somewhat colourful language to get his thoughts across, is something else altogether, IMHO
Thats a chemical inbalance caused by lack of alcohol in the presence of two many half wits.
Old Aug 7th 2003, 12:34 am
Forum Regular

RaymanInPA is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Patrick Again you spent the whole post missing every point and carrying on your petty personal attack on someone you do not know anything about. This is quite obvious from your posts.

Patrick, from your last post it appears that you have been confronted by logic in the face of which you have been reduced to a blithering wreck who is no longer capable of responding to counter-points in a responsible and coherent manner.

I have proved beyond a doubt that while things may not be as great as 1999 they are NO WAY so bad as to make the American dream beyond reach. The fact that it is beyond YOUR reach is merely testament to your own inadequacy. Sorry, but thats the way of it. I'm not being cruel here Pat, just real - sorry if that hurts.

Also, please note that I'm not trying to blame anyone whose unemployed but trying their damned hardest to find a job. I'm just blaming the whingers and moaners like you who blame everyone else for their condition apart from themselves.

I really don't have to justify anything to you, the problem is you have no concept of the situation in NC as you do not live here.

Errrrrr, excuse me, I'm sorry but you DO. When you make statements on a public web-board you are very likely to be challenged by others. In the face of those challenges you are required to either defend your points or admit that your points were weak in the first place. Resorting to profanity or "I don't have to play with you" is basically admiting that you were talking trash in the first place.

Thank you, you have proved my point. QED.

am not a martyr and have not asked for sympathy,

Excuse me while I flatulate at the stupidity of that statement. To illustrate where you've played the martyr let me remind you of several sentances from your world class whinging-spree:

"I am not the only one out of work. I am not the only very qualified, very experienced person chasing very few jobs"

"Not only am I very qualified and I more than capable"

"the problem is there are very many qualified and capable people out there."

"You cannot compare what they did to what I am doing, you have no idea what I am doing and therefor cannot comment on it"

Look at your own words Patrick to see how pathetic you sound. Don't blame me, I'm only here highlighting your words. Dont blame the messenger pal.

"Find some one else to vent your sexual frustration on as"

Here we go again...

Patrick has been humiliated.

Patricks upset.

Patricks realised he's been talking bull so he's going to get right back in the gutter! Nice one Patrick keep it coming - your the best example that there is that at the end of the day we are all responsible for the conditions of the lives we lead.

Cheers Pat, maybe your more suited to claiming the dole in a 2 bed council flat in Peckham than being in the USA.
Old Aug 7th 2003, 12:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Ranjini
Patrick has voiced his opinion on the job situation in NC and he is right.

How do you know?

Do you live in NC?
Are you an employment consultant?
An employer?

You don't really seem to back up your support of Patrick with many facts or figures. Makes me wonder, does it all really come back to this:

That he uses somewhat colourful language to get his thoughts across, is something else altogether, IMHO

Strange, how thats the second time this thread that you've needed to make groveling posts regarding Patricks generous use of the words ****, Arsehole anf Idiot to back up his pathetic points.

Patricks filthy talk gives you a thrill doesnt it Ranjini
Old Aug 7th 2003, 1:10 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default What was the topic again?

I realize that people will have differing opinions, but the barrage of vitriol over the past few posts has amazed me. Surely most people don't care about the personal vendetta that 3 or 4 people seem to have for each other? Can't you just send flaming PM's instead of airing your dirty laundry in public? I know it's hard to resist responding when someone calls you names in a public forum, but surely someone has to stop at some point. Don't you get tired?

Am I the only person who is amazed at how this thread has drifted from the original topic? I'd be really interested in any FACTS (with supporting links, sources, etc.) as to how employment in NC is going (there were some early on).

I keep reading of major layoffs in the eastern NC region and the local press seems to talk constantly of economic doom and gloom. But somehow, the state school I teach at seems to keep hiring people (new positions, not just replacements), and we're constantly spending on new building projects and initiatives. I feel lucky being in higher education, because there seem to be more immigration opportunities that route. I can't imagine just upping and moving here and then looking for a job - there is just so much you have to put on the line (especially $$). I have every admiration for someone who has the courage to give it a try, but my impression is that it could too easily end in tears.
Old Aug 7th 2003, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

If I've resorted to flaming then I apologize.

My only objectives were to defend the viewpoints of those who see the glass as half full and not empty which in my opinion is what makes America great.

And although I would admit that I had to comment on the personal and psychological problems of one poster which I wished I could have avoided, all that I would say in my defence is that I did not resort to profanity.

I'm sorry for offending anyone who is looking for a job at the moment - I've been there as well, stay positive, keep trying and remember you're in the greatest country on the planet.

Good luck!
Old Aug 7th 2003, 2:25 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Keyword is "Job in NC"

Originally posted by RaymanInPA

<<snip>>

And although I would admit that I had to comment on the personal and psychological problems of one poster which I wished I could have avoided, all that I would say in my defence is that I did not resort to profanity.

I'm sorry for offending anyone who is looking for a job at the moment - I've been there as well, stay positive, keep trying and remember you're in the greatest country on the planet.

Good luck!
This is to RaymanINPA in particular.

The original poster was asking about finding employment in NC and that is where both Patrick and I live presently.

As RaymanInPA admitted himself, he had not heard about the NC company, Pillowtex closing down, making 6,450 people redundant.

Maybe that's because he doesn't live in NC as some posters in this thread do. I would hazzard a guess that RaymanInPA lives in PA so he maybe doesn't look for/get news stories in NC much, if any.

So, to go back to the original poster, the comments made by Patrick probably have more weight because he lives in NC.

As for RaymanInPA's justification about his objectives " to defend the viewpoints of those who see the glass as half full and not empty..." Why not let the reader make that decision for him/herself?

RaymanInPA asks a lot of questions and voices strong opinions but does not produce any credible evidence or anything useful to the the topic of the thread.

If you think about your retorts to Patrick, you showed your true colors. You can hardly be critical of Patrick's posts because you wrote the same way yourself.

Now it's my turn to ask RaymanInPA some questions-
Do you live in NC?
Have you ever lived in NC?
Have you been unemployed in the US since Bush became president?

If you can honestly answer "yes" to any of these, your posts illustrate you have no sense of empathy for those who are looking for work in NC.

NC Penguin
Old Aug 7th 2003, 2:34 am
Pagan Sex God

Strangley I swear on this board all the time, if you are going to hang around get used to it. I don't actually resort to profanity, I use it all the time, if you don't like it I don't care.

You have still not explained how you are an expert on NC and the IT business in NC. You have not explained why, in your opinion, these people should leave there jobs and come to NC. In fact you seem to complety miss that point of the thread and jump to to inain attacks on me. Every attack you make shows how pathetic you are, there is no argument in there just venom, in fact your whole posts do not make sense whatsoever.

You keep saying idiotic things like "I'm just blaming the whingers and moaners like you who blame everyone else for their condition apart from themselves". I do not blame anyone for my situation, I knew when I left England it wouldn't be easy to find a job, it doesn't disguise the fact there is a recession and NC is not doing very well as far as IT jobs are concerned. What do you want me to say about that, there is no way round it.

"Also, please note that I'm not trying to blame anyone whose unemployed but trying their damned hardest to find a job. " Then why the **** are you having a go at me, I am doing all I can, 32 applications sent out this week alone. I have knocked on every door, filled out every application, looked down every avenue. The reason I can comment on the state of NC is because I live here, the reason you have no right to say anything is because you do not. It won't stop you voicing an opinion on something you know nothing about though.

"I have proved beyond a doubt that while things may not be as great as 1999 they are NO WAY so bad as to make the American dream beyond reach. " You certainly have proved any idiot can do it!

"Errrrrr, excuse me, I'm sorry but you DO. When you make statements on a public web-board you are very likely to be challenged by others. In the face of those challenges you are required to either defend your points or admit that your points were weak in the first place. " I am living the situation, I do not need to prove you wrong, you are far removed from the situation you certainly have to prove where you get your information from.

Patrick

My only objectives were to defend the viewpoints of those who see the glass as half full and not empty which in my opinion is what makes America great.

Good luck!
Old Aug 7th 2003, 3:00 am
Forum Regular

Strangley I swear on this board all the time, if you are going to hang around get used to it. I don't actually resort to profanity, I use it all the time, if you don't like it I don't care.

Remember when you're teacher taught you at school that theres two sides to every story. Your just like the red-necks who wear their filth as a badge and think its OK to spit and swear and blacks, then cry and scream like little girls when its their turn to feel the black power!

If your so proud and comfortable with your own personal attacks why whinge and moan when someone attacks you (which I admit regrettably that I have done)?

I do not blame anyone for my situation, I knew when I left

Three I's in half a sentance, way to go Pat!!!

Wow, that just about sums up your entire personality. Its all about you! Look Patrick, you may not have realised but this thread is about someone wanting to know about coming to the US, the fact that I've posted a view which is contrary to your situation is meaningless.

Good luck with your job search, and I mean that. I wouldnt wish unemployment on anyone. But I got to say man several pieces of advice:

1. Read this thread and my replys again and learn how negative you are.

2. Understand from this thread how childish and fuitle swearing is.

3. Learn to think and take responsibility for your own actions.

4. Stop moaning and whinging about the glass being half empty.

5. Try to see how OBSESSED you are with your own state of affairs.

This thread is now out there there for the record bro, you can either try and ignore it as a testament to your own humiliation, or you can learn from it, change your attitude - and perhaps, just change your life.

Good luck.
Old Aug 7th 2003, 3:07 am
Pagan Sex God

Hey RaymaninPA,

Will you stop proving what an absolute ****wit you are and answer the question at hand. This is not about me, nor is it about my negativity (of which there is non) or my english or my grammar, or swearing and how futile it is (swearing is my Golf). It is about these two people giving up jobs and coming to america now stop being so petty and avoiding the question and answer the following questions without (in any way) resorting to the petty vendeta you have some how managed to acquire

1. Why should these two people leave good jobs and move to a depressed area

2. What makes you an expert on NC and the IT industry in NC

I notice you avoid all questions about why you are such an expert, even when others ask them. You also avoided the subject of Pillowtex on the other thread when someone posted a link. You have spouted a philosophy of "all come in" "this is still a good time to move to NC" with absolutly nothing to base it on, because of this you have to divert everyones attention from the fact you have no idea what your talking about by pretending you have humilitated someone, well you have - yourself.

You avoid these questions because you have no answer, you would rather rant and rave and have a go at someone for giving advice rather than backing up you own post. You are a flamer and your only purpose on this board is to ignite. I am using logic and reason to advice these people, you on the hand think that pointing out a person uses 3 I's in a sentence is humilating - only to the person who points it out, it shows lack of humility and respect.

Patrick

Remember when you're teacher taught you at school that theres two sides to every story. Your just like the red-necks who wear their filth as a badge and think its OK to spit and swear and blacks, then cry and scream like little girls when its their turn to feel the black power!

If your so proud and comfortable with your own personal attacks why whinge and moan when someone attacks you (which I admit regrettably that I have done)?

I do not blame anyone for my situation, I knew when I left

Three I's in half a sentance, way to go Pat!!!

Wow, that just about sums up your entire personality. Its all about you! Look Patrick, you may not have realised but this thread is about someone wanting to know about coming to the US, the fact that I've posted a view which is contrary to your situation is meaningless.

Good luck with your job search, and I mean that. I wouldnt wish unemployment on anyone. But I got to say man several pieces of advice:

1. Read this thread and my replys again and learn how negative you are.

2. Understand from this thread how childish and fuitle swearing is.

3. Learn to think and take responsibility for your own actions.

4. Stop moaning and whinging about the glass being half empty.

5. Try to see how OBSESSED you are with your own state of affairs.

This thread is now out there there for the record bro, you can either try and ignore it as a testament to your own humiliation, or you can learn from it, change your attitude - and perhaps, just change your life.

Good luck.

Last edited by Patrick; Aug 7th 2003 at 4:23 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.