Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Trying to find a job in NC

Trying to find a job in NC

Old Jul 30th 2003, 7:55 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Patrick
If God had of wanted .....

Thankfully Word has a grammar check too!
Old Jul 30th 2003, 8:01 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pulaski

Thankfully Word has a grammar check too!
Has it got a pain in the arse remover!

Patrick
Old Jul 30th 2003, 8:19 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

Patrick
ROFLMAO
Old Jul 30th 2003, 8:37 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Patrick
Lucky for you it does not!

I actually quite like you and i appreciate the info your provided me on occasions. But you were ****ing patronising about it at the same time and agressively negative in tone.

My suggestions were just that though, ok the buy a house plan doesnt work try another. if you have no capital then think of something that doesnt need it. If you have skills as house renovator why not set up a firm to do that? its a growth industry right now.

I dont know what job you had at Nokia or what your skills are i just held out the suggestion that you could apply those skills on a one off consultanancy basis to people in places other than where you live. You are so touchy about it when others tell you things you dont like.

Anyway why not join the US army? you get paid to learn some new skills and veterans get a number of benefits, although of course age and fitness have an impact on that option.

Maybe you are getting picked on bit but why not try to be less cutting in your comments to others and you wouldnt piss them off so much. Diplomacy would look good on your resume right?

Also thanks for the suggestion but i dont need to compare dick size knowing my IQ beats yours by 8 points is pleasure enough without compounding your inadequacy!

Good luck to your wife and mother and law and i hope they keep up rightly,

regards,

Duncan
Old Jul 30th 2003, 8:44 pm
Wabbit Lord

waxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant future
Wink

I don't give a hoot about others IQ points, because I am the most highly intellectual in this group.

I have an wabbit IQ of 7.43, but when you translate that into a human that is equivalent to 219.03 IQ points.

so THERE!!!!!!!

Lee
Old Jul 31st 2003, 2:43 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by 17782023

Anyway why not join the US army? you get paid to learn some new skills and veterans get a number of benefits, although of course age and fitness have an impact on that option.
regards,

Duncan
1. I am 2 years too old

2. I was in the British Army for 12 years and really don't want to do it again

3. I moved here to be with my wife, why the **** would I join the army and be posted away from her

4. I can't run very fast as my dick drags on the ground
Old Jul 31st 2003, 3:57 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... 4. I can't run very fast as my dick drags on the ground
So, you've got 2" legs have you?
Old Jul 31st 2003, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

No Patrick I wasnt having a dig at you, walmart are known for always having a job open (well up here they are), I know it sounds rediculous but mebbe leave your degree off your resume when you apply for jobs like that ??

Good luck with your job hunting

Jan
Old Aug 1st 2003, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Definately not i cant abide Bush and his Haliburton cronies i intend to make a contribution of some kind to getting him out at the next election.

I am aware the economy is bad and that things are hard for lots of people. I am just not so inclined to be such a raging pessimist at the others. I can see that if someone has a good steady well paid job in the UK then why give that up for uncertainty in the USA. But not everyone has that and the USA may represent an alternative opportunity. I perosnally belive the USA is a better country in the long term. My profession is full of privilage over here and the ultimate seniority is dominated by those who went to the right schools, have the right accent and class background. In the USA at least with hard work the opportunites are there in a way they arent in the UK. The UK is a more meritocratic society than it was but as long as we have Queen/King then we will have a division into the priviliged and the rest and thats something i want to get away from.

regards,

Duncan
I don't think its a question of optimism/pessimism- its just the way things are at the moment- reality in a nutshell. And yes of course, like everything else in life, it depends on your frame of reference as to whether you would actually be better off in the USA right now. Today,we heard rosy predictions that the economy is at a turning point (yeah well they've been saying that for a year or so too) but unemployment will continue to be a problem for a while.

Your profession is full of privilege here too- it matters very much which school you attended. And these Ivy league schools are just as difficult to get into as the top schools in UK...and more expensive. The majority of people haven't got the money to send their kids to Harvard even on scholarship. And you don't think Bush would have got in if he had a different name do you?...his scores have been passed around- there's only one way HE got into Harvard.

While I believe in hard work being rewarded, I find that money talks louder in a meritocracy, and I find it a callous system. There may not be title out here but there is still hierarchy and privilege and the mighty dollar rules. The funds raised for Bush's next presidential campaign have come mainly from inherited wealth.
The trouble is with a meritocracy, at least US style, you end up with the top 5% controlling 95% of the nation's wealth-whereas in UK the differential between top and bottom is only 18%- a far 'better' distribution of wealth. I think its a testament to the UK system that the Queen doesn't make it into the British top 100 rich list. But then I'm a firm believer in having an apolitical head at the pinnacle of power- and above power hungry politicians.

I'm happy enough here in the US, and sure its a great country, but I don't think it can claim to be a better country while 13 million of its children live in abject poverty and third world conditions, and the average age of the homeless is 7 years old. And where old people often can't afford the prescription medicines they need to keep alive. But then I'm used to the UK where children have rights...and basic needs like medical care and a roof over their head is a right not a privilege, and where the most vulnerable sections of the population are protected. I don't see much merit in a system that doesn't care about its young or old, or those who can't pay.

If you're going to be poor (and birth defines that in the US as much, if not moreso, as in the UK) you'd better be poor in UK.

Last edited by Taffyles; Aug 1st 2003 at 1:17 am.
Old Aug 1st 2003, 1:45 am
Pagan Sex God

How do I say this diplomatically, I don't want Duncan accusing me of delivering bad news without diplomacy again!

A company in NC announced it was closing today with the direct loss of 5000 jobs, indirectly the impact in the area could be twice that.

More companies locally today declared they where either laying off or starting hiring freezes.

My first post on this thread said "this is not a good time to come to NC" - It wasn't negative, it was the truth. I am not killing peoples dreams (GWB is doing that) I am just passing on the information. I refuse to appologise for any post on this thread and stand by my statement that it is a bad time to come to NC. So Duncan you can go **** yourself.

Patrick

Jan - I started reapplying to Walmart and Target etc without my degree on today, I just hope my high school information doesn't throw them. Neither of the Walmarts, Target, Lowes etc are advertising at the moment anyway - there are no jobs and high unemployment here, what can you do.
Old Aug 3rd 2003, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

RaymanInPA is an unknown quantity at this point

I dont want to stir too much controversy with my first post but I definately think some people here are being way to negative. The fact is that as with many things in life theres never been a great time to start or a really bad one. Some times its easier than others, but its never so easy that you're not taking a risk or going to have a cake-walk.

From the first settlers till today theres been recessions, depressions, doom & gloom, but at the end of the day people who do make it to the US in the hard times tend to be those who have the guts to succeed here as well. I suspect that many who are over here whinging and moaning now are exactly the types who only get in when the goings far too easy - then when life slaps them in the face start crying. Those people are more suited to the UK nanny state than the wild west.

There was a recession here in 1990 to 1993 but people still came over. There was a recession in 1997 to 1998 but people still came over. If you've got the guts and determination to do it you will eventually find a way- that if anything is the spirit of this country and the people who make it great. Even look at the desperates who come here as refugees without a penny to their name - many end up within a few years owning their own home and businesses. Thats the way it goes in the USA, it is still the land of opportunity.

My advise to you would be to look at nursing which lead to very highly paid jobs in the US + H1B visa. You've paid plenty of tax to the UK Government, let them train you as a nurse, get some work experiance then move over here.

Bottom line - if you cant find a way, make one. Either way bitchin' and moaning wont help you.

Good luck.
Old Aug 4th 2003, 3:30 am
Pagan Sex God

Your an analyst, lets analise this -

These guys want to move to NC. Firms are laying off left right and centre (over 5000 jobs this week alone) even hospitals are laying off, no-one is hiring as there are hiring freezes. This is reality, there is no way of telling people this without it sounding a little bit negative.

Now what kind of ****ing idiot would advise someone to move to that situation, you might as well tell them to run through a minefield. Yes there is a depression, yes they would be taking risk but surely if we told them that life is dandy and they should come over we are not giving them a chance. By telling them to leave it a while (which is what most people have done) we have been realistic - even you said retrain as a nurse and then come over - giving the same advice as everyone else (did you actually read this ****ing thread?).

Personally I think this is Duncan posting under a different name because it is the same "if you cant get a job make one" crap that he has been spouting.

I have just reread the whole thread and I don't think one person on this thread has been negative. People have said what the score is in NC, its not pretty but its the truth and advised this person to consider coming over in a couple of years when the situation has improved. What is negative about that, in fact its a positive message of hope.

No one has argued that America is not the land of opportunity but you have to have a little bit of realism. If there are no jobs and 7% unemployment your backing the wrong horse by leaving a job in the UK. Lets face it, what kind of a moron would leave (or advise someone to leave) a job and move to place where there are non and 200 people applying for every job that there is.

Where do you get that nurses are highly paid, yes they are better paid than the UK but it is all relative. If you nursed in New York you would earn more but the standard of living is higher, if you got a nursing job in remote NC you are talking only a few thousand pounds more a year than the UK.

I think it is admirable that you come on here and tell everyone that america is the land of milk and honey and they should stop bitchin and moaning and come on over but I don't think I would ever hire you as an analyst if you can't take the information that is available about NC and make an educated assumption on the changes of success for 2 UK citizens with new IT certificates and no IT experience moving to a vaccum of IT jobs. You should also understand the difference between people being negative and people being realistic about the situation at the moment.

I don't think your ready for this website Rayman as it is based on reality, please go to www.disney.com.

Patrick

Originally posted by RaymanInPA
I dont want to stir too much controversy with my first post but I definately think some people here are being way to negative. The fact is that as with many things in life theres never been a great time to start or a really bad one. Some times its easier than others, but its never so easy that you're not taking a risk or going to have a cake-walk.

From the first settlers till today theres been recessions, depressions, doom & gloom, but at the end of the day people who do make it to the US in the hard times tend to be those who have the guts to succeed here as well. I suspect that many who are over here whinging and moaning now are exactly the types who only get in when the goings far too easy - then when life slaps them in the face start crying. Those people are more suited to the UK nanny state than the wild west.

There was a recession here in 1990 to 1993 but people still came over. There was a recession in 1997 to 1998 but people still came over. If you've got the guts and determination to do it you will eventually find a way- that if anything is the spirit of this country and the people who make it great. Even look at the desperates who come here as refugees without a penny to their name - many end up within a few years owning their own home and businesses. Thats the way it goes in the USA, it is still the land of opportunity.

My advise to you would be to look at nursing which lead to very highly paid jobs in the US + H1B visa. You've paid plenty of tax to the UK Government, let them train you as a nurse, get some work experiance then move over here.

Bottom line - if you cant find a way, make one. Either way bitchin' and moaning wont help you.

Good luck.
Old Aug 4th 2003, 11:30 am
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Originally posted by RaymanInPA

Good luck.
For patricks information its not me under another name but i agree with the sentiments.

An unemployment rate of 7% is still pretty good when compared to the UK in earlier years. Approx 10 years ago i moved from the south of england to Northern Ireland which had a 13.5% unemployment rate the worst in the UK. Yes at first it was hard but i found work and i got qualifed as a lawyer and i got involved in the political talks and made a small contribution to this society. On objective grounds i reckon i did ok in NI. Now its not all roses as i made some bad stockmarket choices at the wrong time and lost all my savings then that was compounded by a dodgy solicitor who stole money he owed me from legal aid pushing me into insolvency. But he these things happen and it wont kill me.I will get back up and make it again.

a bit of T3 wisdom maybe but its true that 'We all have no future except what we make' if you wish to cry about a bad economic situation thats fine but why dump it onto others. By all means tell people that the situation is bad but why then advise them to stay at home? Thats the negative portion of your posts its not wrong to explain the situation to people but it is wrong to then make a judgement based on your views and tell them its advice.

Patrick maybe you are the one who doesnt like being told the truth as you seem to have been particulary harsh about my last few posts. You have no job so deal with it, and make one for yourself or retrain or bloody move to where IT is a stronger industry, Austin TX has a lower unemployment rate. If you wish to stay in NC then fine but you will need to adjust your expectations of what job you can do. But hey i am wasting my time as you will just tell me to **** off again. You should go back to Britain whinging, crying, someone else do it for me, people have a much better home in the UK and maybe you would be able to be 'given' a job.

Lifes what you make it and sometime ist tough but success isnt a measure of how many times you succeed but how you deal with failure.

Welcome to the board Rayman and keep posting.

regards,

Duncan

(p.s. i posted a pic of me and a guy i met once or twice, if you try then you never know where it will get you)
Attached Thumbnails Trying to find a job in NC-me-someone.jpg  
Old Aug 4th 2003, 1:30 pm
Pagan Sex God

Again to try to make this about me when it is not, please don't pontificate about my situation as we are not talking about me. I understand my situation and am dealing with it.

OK, lets deal with the issue at hand, how on earth is advising someone not to leave a job and come to place where there are non negative. They both have jobs in the UK, they have little experience in IT, which they want to do over here, there are no IT jobs and a large amount of IT proffesionals out of work. It would be irresponsible to advice someone anything other than don't make the move over now, wait and do it in a few years.

Would you advise someone to open an ice cream shop in winter? No, because the chances are it would fail before it could get established. You would advise them to wait until late spring or summer when people eat a lot of ice cream, by the time winter hits they would have a financial cushion and would be established enough to have a loyal customer base that would keep them ticking over the winter. Would that be construde as negative advise, no just plain common sense - so pull your head from your arse and think about this with a bit of common sense!

If you we are playing movie quotes

What are you waiting for? You're faster than this. Don't think you are, know you are. Come on! Stop trying to hit me and hit me!

This is the part where you run away

You too. Except that when I dress up as a frigid bitch, I try to look a little less constipated

Lesbian? I thought she was a Pisces

And then one time I ate some rotten berries. Man there were some gases eeking outta my butt that day!

My insurance does not cover PMS!

Watch my mouth? You gotta to be shittin' me!

See, who needs affection when I have blind hatred?

Don't listen to him, he just wants to scrape our faces off.

Jane's breasts scare me. They're like Mickey Mouse's ears. No matter which way you turn, they're still facing you.

Has the fact that you're completely psycho managed to escape your attention?

Don't touch it! He could get infected, Jesus! Tetanus, rabies, scabies, emphysema!

I know you can be under whelmed, and you can be overwhelmed, but can you ever just be, like, whelmed?

Because men are just big fat retards.

Hope is for those that don’t have faith, faith is for those who don’t have ambition and ambition is for those who don’t have the balls to go out and just do it

Nobody leaves this place without singing the blues.

Patrick

Heres a good a game, people could try and name the movies those quotes are from, the people you advise to come over when there are no jobs and they have no qualifications will need something to do!

PS What a limp wristed grip you have, you want to practise your strong hand shake

For patricks information its not me under another name but i agree with the sentiments.

An unemployment rate of 7% is still pretty good when compared to the UK in earlier years. Approx 10 years ago i moved from the south of england to Northern Ireland which had a 13.5% unemployment rate the worst in the UK. Yes at first it was hard but i found work and i got qualifed as a lawyer and i got involved in the political talks and made a small contribution to this society. On objective grounds i reckon i did ok in NI. Now its not all roses as i made some bad stockmarket choices at the wrong time and lost all my savings then that was compounded by a dodgy solicitor who stole money he owed me from legal aid pushing me into insolvency. But he these things happen and it wont kill me.I will get back up and make it again.

a bit of T3 wisdom maybe but its true that 'We all have no future except what we make' if you wish to cry about a bad economic situation thats fine but why dump it onto others. By all means tell people that the situation is bad but why then advise them to stay at home? Thats the negative portion of your posts its not wrong to explain the situation to people but it is wrong to then make a judgement based on your views and tell them its advice.

Patrick maybe you are the one who doesnt like being told the truth as you seem to have been particulary harsh about my last few posts. You have no job so deal with it, and make one for yourself or retrain or bloody move to where IT is a stronger industry, Austin TX has a lower unemployment rate. If you wish to stay in NC then fine but you will need to adjust your expectations of what job you can do. But hey i am wasting my time as you will just tell me to **** off again. You should go back to Britain whinging, crying, someone else do it for me, people have a much better home in the UK and maybe you would be able to be 'given' a job.

Lifes what you make it and sometime ist tough but success isnt a measure of how many times you succeed but how you deal with failure.

Welcome to the board Rayman and keep posting.

regards,

Duncan

(p.s. i posted a pic of me and a guy i met once or twice, if you try then you never know where it will get you)

Last edited by Patrick; Aug 4th 2003 at 2:43 pm.
Old Aug 4th 2003, 2:07 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

OK, lets deal with the issue at hand, how on earth is advising someone not to leave a job and come to place where there are non negative. They both have jobs in the UK, they have little experience in IT, which they want to do over here, there are no IT jobs and a large amount of IT proffesionals out of work. It would be irresponsible to advice someone anything other than don't make the move over now, wait and do it in a few years.
Nice to see you back in form, Patrick Don't let 'em brow beat ya. I, at least, like to read more than one point of view (with some colourful language thrown in . So keep it rolling in. It's always good to see both sides of the picture. Or as many sides, if that's at all possible...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.