British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Trying to find a job in NC (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/trying-find-job-nc-167383/)

Blondie Jul 23rd 2003 12:31 pm

Trying to find a job in NC

Hi everyone,
I wonder if anyone can help. Myself and husband(both UK citizens), want more than anything to live and work permanently in NC. We already have a house there, and some family(not close enough relatives though!!).
I am just completing an IT course, and my husband works in logistics. As usual we are both finding it very difficult to locate any companies willing to sponsor us.
To be honest, we would both be willing to give anything ago(within reason obviously!!), if it meant someone would sponsor us.
Does anyone know of any actively sponsoring companies in the Raleigh/Durham area, or of any nice people who need us to run a business for them!(well its worth a try!!!!!!)? I miss my house over there, as we can only come across for holidays. We both want to be able to move out there as soon as possible, so we can carry on with our lives.
Thanks in advance for any help or info anyone may have...

NC Penguin Jul 23rd 2003 1:13 pm

Re: Trying to find a job in NC

Originally posted by Blondie
Hi everyone,
I wonder if anyone can help. Myself and husband(both UK citizens), want more than anything to live and work permanently in NC. We already have a house there, and some family(not close enough relatives though!!).
I am just completing an IT course, and my husband works in logistics. As usual we are both finding it very difficult to locate any companies willing to sponsor us.
To be honest, we would both be willing to give anything ago(within reason obviously!!), if it meant someone would sponsor us.
Does anyone know of any actively sponsoring companies in the Raleigh/Durham area, or of any nice people who need us to run a business for them!(well its worth a try!!!!!!)? I miss my house over there, as we can only come across for holidays. We both want to be able to move out there as soon as possible, so we can carry on with our lives.
Thanks in advance for any help or info anyone may have...
It is most difficult to search for a job in the US when you are overseas so the only avenues for job hunting is via the internet.

Have you looked at the local newspapers online job vacancies? News and Observer, Herald Sun and others?

Also, search job websites where you can specify the locality where the jobs are based. e.g. Monster, Flipdog, and there's many others.

You probably know that as you're both UK citizens, you'll each need to have an individual work permit and in the current economic climate, employers are even less open to sponsoring non-US citizens for employment and no longer offer relocation payments as in the past.

I honestly don't think any recruitment consultancies in the area can help either of you unless you already have permission to work in the US. It is a chicken and egg situation but the situation is very tough for Brits in NC (as well as Americans of course). I personally know of two Brits who've yet to find work and one has been in the US since last summer.

I wish you luck.

NC Penguin

Blondie Jul 23rd 2003 1:24 pm

Thanks for that, Yes I have looked at the local papers, but generally they are not interested in sponsoring anyone. As far as both myself and husband getting separate visa's, we are working on the basis, that provided one of us can get a job, the other will come across as the spouse. I know that means that the spouse is not allowed to work, but that would be ok to begin with, then we would look at changing status later on.

Patrick Jul 23rd 2003 2:54 pm

It is completly the wrong time to come over to the US, especially as far as IT is concerned. I have been here since february and have only had 3 interviews. The economy is in the toilet and more people are laying off than hiring.

The other problem is your IT course won't mean a thing over here. You either have to have a lot of relevant experience or the right (american) qualifications

Good Luck though

Patrick

Blondie Jul 23rd 2003 3:44 pm

OK this is not what I wanted to hear, I specifically decided on a career change to try and accomodate the US job market, because to qualify for a H1-b, you can't just do any job, you need a profession. I was assured that IT was the market to be in. My husband is in logistics (Operations) at B'ham Airport, and he has been looking too. The problem he had was the same, plenty of employers have been interested, but as soon as they find out that we do not have a visa, they do not want to know.
In your experience, what industry is likely to sponsor at the moment(if any)?
Any tips on how you came across, what you went through etc.
We definately want to move there permanently and will not give up, we just need a small window of opportunity!

NC Penguin Jul 23rd 2003 3:51 pm

Originally posted by Blondie
OK this is not what I wanted to hear, I specifically decided on a career change to try and accomodate the US job market, because to qualify for a H1-b, you can't just do any job, you need a profession. I was assured that IT was the market to be in. My husband is in logistics (Operations) at B'ham Airport, and he has been looking too. The problem he had was the same, plenty of employers have been interested, but as soon as they find out that we do not have a visa, they do not want to know.
In your experience, what industry is likely to sponsor at the moment(if any)?
Any tips on how you came across, what you went through etc.
We definately want to move there permanently and will not give up, we just need a small window of opportunity!
Industries that are hiring more at this time may not be the same ones six months from now. Add to that that in the US there is the "hire at will" policy, if you're in a precarious position if you're employed on an H1-B.

Also, if you're switching careers to make it easier to find a job in the US, please consider this. You'll have little to no experience in that industry and so will be overlooked for H1-B type positions. It's my belief that H1-Bs are not aimed at those starting off or early in their career.

This may be negative news to you but I believe it to be true. I heartily agree that now is not the time to be moving to the US. Keep abreast of the economic situation in the US and Bush's economic policies for the US.

NC Penguin

Blondie Jul 23rd 2003 4:09 pm

Thanks again for your imput, All I can do is keep trying, we love everything about NC and the american way of life, we will literally do anything to get out there, I suppose I am just going to have to resign myself to the fact it is going to take longer than we wanted. I am actively looking for work both here(UK) and over there. Probably my best option will be to try and get employed with a large company, that has connections over in NC, and try for the intra-company transfer, like IBM. That is how my cousins husband got over there.
We both just get so depressed at just how difficult it is to get over there, especially being british, the fact that we are supposed to be th US's best allies, but we can't get in the country unless we are lucky enough to fulfill one of the options or win the Lotto!!!!!!!!!(even smaller chance of that happening!!)

Pulaski Jul 23rd 2003 5:33 pm

Originally posted by Blondie ..... Probably my best option will be to try and get employed with a large company, that has connections over in NC, and try for the intra-company transfer, like IBM. .....
That is the most likely way, but it requires patience and some luck too. You may find it difficult to get hired in the UK if a company just thinks that you want to transfer to the US at the earliest opportunity.

In any case to be eligible for a transfer your employer still needs to demonstrate your importance to the company, which means that you either need the specialized skills/ training that you'd need for an H1/H2 visa, OR be a manager in the business.

I think that, if the "transfer" route is the one that you decide to pursue, that you should consider any companies in the UK that have operations anywhere in the US, and then accept that it will take several years after you arrive in the US to get sponsorship for a greencard and become a "free agent" in the US and able to relocate to NC.

dunroving Jul 23rd 2003 11:54 pm

Maybe get a degree?

This is totally off the wall, but have you thought about doing a masters degree in the US? Many masters can be completed in one year, or a year and a semester, then you have pretty much automatic authorization to work for 12 months (Employment Authorization Document). Get in, make an impression, and your employer will help you get an H-1B.

Now, as for which degrees and professions are most likely to lead to success, I'm afraid I'm not much use.

This may not be helpful at all, but thought I'd throw it out there.

ffoulger Jul 25th 2003 3:45 pm

Hi;
I thought the education idea was a good one.
But have you given any thought to becoming a canadian Immigrant/citizen and then going to U.S through Canada (a longer process though).
Thought I'd add that to the confusion.
Good luck,
FF:confused:

Pulaski Jul 25th 2003 4:04 pm

Originally posted by ffoulger
..... But have you given any thought to becoming a canadian Immigrant/citizen and then going to U.S through Canada .....
It is no easier to get to work in the US if you are a Canadian than if you are British. :(

Blondie Jul 25th 2003 4:14 pm

Thanks for the input, and we know it is no easier getting in from Canada, that isn't really what we would want anyway...never mind, hopefully something will come up, I'm getting some infor from a consultancy firm in the UK, who claim to be able to get you an interview with a sponsoring employer then do all the visa sponsorship, so I will see what they say. Please feel free to add any other comments. Thanx
:p

Patrick Jul 26th 2003 3:39 am

Just in case you think that getting a certificate in IT will get you a job, I have a degree in Electronic Engineering, worked the last 3 years for Nokia and applied for a job (because its been six months) with cingular as sales consultant (shop girl!) and here is the reply I got

Thank you for your interest in Cingular`s career opportunities. Although you
have not been selected for the Retail Stores - Retail Sales Consultant
(Wilmington, NC) position (25247), we hope your interest in opportunities at
Cingular continues. Please continue to visit our website at www.cingular.com
for new openings.

Good Luck

Patrick

Jabba1 Jul 26th 2003 4:34 am

As I happen to have been born in Charlotte, (moved to Florida when I was little) I would like to wish you the best of luck in your efforts to immigrate to my home state.:D

Blondie Jul 26th 2003 7:51 am

Thanks Jabba1, We'll keep trying. There's definately a lot of negativity coming across from other people, I really do understand that it is not going to be easy, and I regret that Patrick, with all your qualifications, you still haven't managed to get a job yet. I'm not expecting that just because I am taking an 'IT qualification' I will get a job straight away, but who knows! From my experience it's mostly about being in the right place at the right time, and who you know. I will keep trying, and I know that eventually my hard work will pay off. ;)