Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tips, tips, tips

Tips, tips, tips

Old Feb 20th 2012, 10:02 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tips, tips, tips

Originally Posted by tonrob
I'd have told them both to sod off. Far too much tip whoring going on.
No kidding, what with $10.00 for what sounds like 2 minutes work, that is a rate of $300.00 an hour, so he got pissy about being offered a rate of $150.00 an hour for unskilled labour.

I would like to know how much people I tip earn, I do not want to pay them at a rate higher than I earn, for what is usually a job I am capable of doing and in all honesty would be happy to do in most cases, maybe pubs should have drink dispenser things like they have for soda at fast food outlets.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 10:03 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
maybe pubs should have drink dispenser things like they have for soda at fast food outlets.
I can see all kinds of chaos ensuing if that ever happened
Old Feb 20th 2012, 10:09 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CherryPi
Oh I understand that it is not always the servers/bartenders fault for crappy service. I was a bartender for 5 years before moving here and my dad has managed numerous pubs. But what I should have rather asked is, if the server/bartender is blatantly rude/giving you crappy service, perhaps even favoring specific customers, do you proceeds to tip them up the full extent? Or, do you tip them minimally and possibly feel like an asshole for doing so despite the situation?
If the server/bartender is blatantly rude then I would not leave a good tip. I would speak to the manager. If the management is in anyway decent they will try and do something for you.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

cosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tonrob
I'd have told them both to sod off. Far too much tip whoring going on.
I know...thinking back now I should have, but I didn't know any better at the time! One of the reasons I started this thread was to get a general idea of who get tips for what and how much is expected. It's just one of those things that I'm not familiar with yet being new here in the States.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 10:17 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinbar
If the server/bartender is blatantly rude then I would not leave a good tip. I would speak to the manager. If the management is in anyway decent they will try and do something for you.
On the very very few occasions that I have had even remotely rude service, the last thing I want to do is spend my time and emotional energy in helping the management with their staffing issues.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 10:17 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I usually give servers 15 to 20% rounded up to the nearest $. I try to leave the tip in cash...rather than put it on my credit card. Remember in most restaurants the server does not receive the whole 15%...they usually have to 'tip out' to various other employees.

When my daughter was in the last year of high school...she worked as a server during the holidays. A customer left without paying...she had to pay his bill out of her own pocket.

I leave my hairdresser 20%+...that way I know she will always fit me in at short notice.
It's actually illegal for a restaurant to make the server or bartender pay the bill on a walkout although alot of places get away with it because the staff is not aware of this.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 10:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

It's actually illegal for a restaurant to make the server or bartender pay the bill on a walkout although alot of places get away with it because the staff is not aware of this.
I suspect that's a state law...not federal.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 10:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

On the very very few occasions that I have had even remotely rude service, the last thing I want to do is spend my time and emotional energy in helping the management with their staffing issues.
And you know you'll get a snot sandwich if food has to be reserved, so what's the point.

They know the service has been shit when they see a penny tip.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 10:57 pm

I suspect that's a state law...not federal.
Not sure about New Jersey. It is the law in New York
Old Feb 20th 2012, 10:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure about New Jersey. It is the law in New York
I thought so. The employer doesn't have to even pay servers minimum wage in NJ. Like a previous poster said if with tips the server doesn't make min. wage...the employer is supposed to top it up.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 11:24 pm

I thought so. The employer doesn't have to even pay servers minimum wage in NJ. Like a previous poster said if with tips the server doesn't make min. wage...the employer is supposed to top it up.
In New York there is a the minimum wage is $7.50 an hour . $5.00 an hour for tipped employees and you have to make up the rest in tips or the employer has to pay the difference. My boss was originally paying me $25 a shift which was below minimum . I brought it up to him a few years ago and he went nuts and said it was BS and he was going to call his attorney about this because he wasn't aware of this which is also BS. He had to concede and pay us in the end. I have to admit the majority of restaurant owners are real jerks.
Several famous restaurants have had lawsuits brought against them for taking tips from employees to pay for management or other staff. They had to pay back millions to wait and barstaff.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 1:58 am
Just Joined

LizzyUK is an unknown quantity at this point

I too am in San Diego, been here now for about 4 years, USA, 7 years in total. I am from stockton on tees but live in the lovely Del Mar, I tip when the service is good, not soo much when the service is shite....
Old Feb 21st 2012, 2:38 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

maybe pubs should have drink dispenser things like they have for soda at fast food outlets.
Used to drink in a few bars in Tokyo that had largely dispensed with the barstaff - you got your beer from a wall off vending machines..... dangerous...!
Old Feb 21st 2012, 2:55 am
He/him

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Used to drink in a few bars in Tokyo that had largely dispensed with the barstaff - you got your beer from a wall off vending machines..... dangerous...!
interesting. I assume cans rather than draft.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 2:58 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

I would like to know how much people I tip earn, :
I can remember sitting in a booth in a very quiet Logans Roadhouse on Hwy 6 in West Houston, 10 years ago, a couple of weeks after we'd arrived. It was late, and in the booth behind us, 2 of the waitstaff going off duty and counting and comparing their tips. We calculated that excluding their wages, they'd made a little over $80 an hour. And that was on a very quiet night.

We tip 15-20% in restaurants as standard - sometimes more, rarely less.
$1 a round in bars (if its just the 2 of us), or 15% on a tab
$1 a bag to the airport shuttle driver (which, with the tribe in tow, could almost pay for a Big Mac in Switzerland!).

I also tip at the local coffee shop depending on who pulls the shots. Some of them are good, some of them are crap. Some of them reciprocate by adding the "extra" shot from a 2 spout pull.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.