Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tips, tips, tips

Tips, tips, tips

Old Feb 20th 2012, 5:14 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tips, tips, tips

Originally Posted by Michael
You can't pay both. If you pay FICA, your employer matches that amount. If you pay self employment tax, you pay both the employee as well as the employers share.

From your statement, I suspect you pay FICA. Is that correct? You would only pay self employment tax if you were considered an independent contractor.
I pay FICA
Old Feb 20th 2012, 5:15 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
You can't pay both. If you pay FICA, your employer matches that amount. If you pay self employment tax, you pay both the employee as well as the employers share.

From your statement, I suspect you pay FICA. Is that correct? You would only pay self employment tax if you were considered an independent contractor.
Bartenders and waitstaff are not considered independent contractors.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 5:26 am
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks penguin bar - very useful insight - I'll tip in cash in future.

Old Feb 20th 2012, 5:34 am

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
Thanks penguin bar - very useful insight - I'll tip in cash in future.

Just tip for good service please! Would love to see some of you in NYC sometime! I make some mean cocktails!
Old Feb 20th 2012, 6:02 am
Forum Regular

CherryPi is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh I understand that it is not always the servers/bartenders fault for crappy service. I was a bartender for 5 years before moving here and my dad has managed numerous pubs. But what I should have rather asked is, if the server/bartender is blatantly rude/giving you crappy service, perhaps even favoring specific customers, do you proceeds to tip them up the full extent? Or, do you tip them minimally and possibly feel like an asshole for doing so despite the situation?
Old Feb 20th 2012, 11:58 am
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by CherryPi
Oh I understand that it is not always the servers/bartenders fault for crappy service. I was a bartender for 5 years before moving here and my dad has managed numerous pubs. But what I should have rather asked is, if the server/bartender is blatantly rude/giving you crappy service, perhaps even favoring specific customers, do you proceeds to tip them up the full extent? Or, do you tip them minimally and possibly feel like an asshole for doing so despite the situation?
For what it's worth, I tip 15-20% as 'standard' in a restaurant - I'd tip a buck or two for a cocktail waiter in a bar and I'd tip a buck every round-ish for someone who just gives me beers (only so I get served quick enough!).

I have tipped 0 for bad service (even if the service isn't the fault of the wait staff I wouldn't look into it - bad service = lower tip. AWFUL service = no tip. If that's the kitchen's fault, I would suggest the servers take it up with the kitchen! I would also underpay for a meal if it was bad enough, but I have never yet done this without a manager reducing the bill for me), and I would tip 25 - 30% for exceptional service.

Coffee shops / fast food? No chance.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by CherryPi
I have no problem with tipping, my only annoyance is when you get crappy service and then when you tip the bare minimum as a reflection, you are the asshole.
Who cares? You aren't going back for a second dose of crappy service, are you? Any place where we feel a minimum tip is due definitely gets crossed off the list. We normally tip more than the 15-20% anyway, particularly if it's a place we are going to return to - wait staff often remembers you and future visits are more pleasant. Wait staff who actually interact with us, joking, teasing or just light chat usually get the bigger tips.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 2:33 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

We rarely eat at restaurants, I never go to the pub anymore and I cut my own hair. I hardly ever have to tip anyone

The only time it comes up is in a restaurant though. Normally we'll round up the bill for the tip if the service is good, which ends up being up around 25%, but if they're shit, we just work out exactly 15% and bugger off. Nine times out of ten the service is fine - which stands to reason, if someone is relying on tips to make money then they are going to provide the best service they can.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 2:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinbar
...Please tip for good service!
I don't think most people have a problem with tipping for good service.

It's just the expectation of having to tip for regular or subpar service.

Which isn't easy when it might not even be the servers fault, if the kitchen makes a mess of the food or holds things up.

Why this system is shit.

Sure you can talk to the manager, but what does that actually achieve? The chef spitting in your food when it next gets sent out and another delay.

It is the way it is though.

I also really hate the whole gaming the bar system. I want a drink, I pay for a drink, I expect it to be a solid drink, I don't expect it to be some weak shit that only gets a good top up if I'm a regular tipper or have to wait extra long because someone else is a regular tipper. Like I said though, that's just the way it is, so I rarely drink out.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

njmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nice

Originally Posted by cosmicjunkie
I cannot believe how many people you are expected to tip here in California! I didn't realize when I came here that I would be partly responsible for paying peoples wages! I have basically been told that these people get minimum wage, so I have to tip the waitress, the hair dresser, the barmaid for every drink she serves me, the lady who did my nails, the coffee house. Everywhere I go there seems to tip jars. This is proving to be quite expensive! I'm not even working at the moment! Another thing I'm having a hard time getting used to is this sales tax. I never seem to know how much I'm going to spend because they add the tax on separately. Does everyone tip all these people who provide services that you are paying for anyway? I don't want to seem tight fisted or anything, but I really don't get it!
Remember its called gratuity. So for eating and drinking out and other service industries work out whether you were happy with the service, if you are tip. If not don't.

As service industry workers they know that they make most their money on tips, so if they don't meet my expectations they don't get tipped.

That said, I would always tip a hairdresser so they do not mess up my next cut..

I have spoken with restaurant managers before who have questioned why no tip and told them, but at the same time I have tipped well despite the kitchen messing up an order.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 3:01 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

My tip is, if you're not prepared to conform to local custom, don't eat out.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

cosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
My tip is, if you're not prepared to conform to local custom, don't eat out.
I am conforming to the local custom and I do tip on the rare occasions I eat out. It's all new here for me in the States and I'm just making observations that are unfamiliar to me. I wanted to know what everyone else did where tipping was concerned. That's all!
Old Feb 20th 2012, 4:28 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cosmicjunkie
I am conforming to the local custom and I do tip on the rare occasions I eat out. It's all new here for me in the States and I'm just making observations that are unfamiliar to me. I wanted to know what everyone else did where tipping was concerned. That's all!
Keep your hair on! That wasn't aimed at you, just a general post - if it had been aimed at you, I'd have quoted you.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

cosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to all

Like I said, I understand the tipping system in restaurants and that's fine. The thing that annoys me is that a lot of other people in other jobs seem to have jumped on the 'tips bandwagon'. For example, on my way here I got lost at the airport in New york. I was very worried because my flight was due. I asked an official airport attendant to help me find my way. He was very nice and charming and personally led me to where I was supposed to be. Upon arrival he turned to me with his big smile and said, "well mam, here we are. Now I hope you're gonna see me alright for my trouble" Basically, I had to tip him because he showed me the way.
Another time, another airport worker put my bag on a trolley and pushed it a few yards to where my husband was waiting for me at the gate. I had another trolley with another bag and a huge dog cage with the dog in it . I could barely see where I was going and yet he took the lightest bag off me. My husband tipped him $5 and he was all pissed off. I had to give him another $5. I think some of these people are just cheeky bastards and that is what annoys me.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
Keep your hair on! That wasn't aimed at you, just a general post - if it had been aimed at you, I'd have quoted you.
Sorry...it's that time of the month....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.