Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tips, tips, tips

Tips, tips, tips

Old Feb 20th 2012, 5:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tips, tips, tips

I usually give servers 15 to 20% rounded up to the nearest $. I try to leave the tip in cash...rather than put it on my credit card. Remember in most restaurants the server does not receive the whole 15%...they usually have to 'tip out' to various other employees.

When my daughter was in the last year of high school...she worked as a server during the holidays. A customer left without paying...she had to pay his bill out of her own pocket.

I leave my hairdresser 20%+...that way I know she will always fit me in at short notice.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

JSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bob
They get paid sub minimum wage with the expectation that tips will bring them up to it.

You have the option of not using their services.
True, but if for some reason their tips don't add up to the federal minimum wage then the employer is required by law to make up the difference. Which is not to say you shouldn't tip your server. Unless they're truly abysmal you absolutely should.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 6:37 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Tips, tips, tips

Originally Posted by Michael
Have you ever been to Switzerland? They add a 15% tip directly on the bill. Many Americans don't realize that and tip the server another 15%.
I currently reside in Switzerland and in New Jersey. There is no tipping in Switzerland, as employees are paid well in all occupations and the standard of living is extremely high.

However.....it's very expensive to dine out and most people tend to eat at home and cook from scratch.

Even a Big Mac (without fries and a drink) costs almost US$12 I don't eat at MacDonalds but my son wanted to go in there when we were in Zurich.

OTOH the food there doesn't have high fructose corn syrup and isn't pumped full of antibiotics, hormones and dozens of preservatives unlike in the US.

We've also lived in Singapore. The govt. there actually bans tipping, although there is GST (Goods and Services Tax) included on dining bills. I have even been given change by taxi drivers there! I did give my hairdresser a small tip each time though as I didn't want to end up with a bad haircut next time. However, some of the locals do try it on if they think you are a tourist....especially an American tourist.

I have noticed though in the UK recently, that even if a menu in a restaurant states that service is included, if you pay by credit card there is always a line to add a tip on the receipt which you have to sign
Old Feb 20th 2012, 6:40 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I leave my hairdresser 20%+...that way I know she will always fit me in at short notice.
... and you know you won't come out looking like this ...

Old Feb 20th 2012, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

I hate tips, especially for things that are pretty much just part of the job. Even worse is that the amount of tips depends on the cost of the food/drink. Decent beer isn't any harder to pour than the cheap stuff, yet I'm supposed to give the waitstaff extra for it? Those working in a cheap restaurant receive much less in tips for the same level of service just because the food is so cheap.

I wouldn't be surprised if we were expected to tip someone in a clothes shop in the future.

Noticed a local restaurant will add a 23% tip to the bill for large parties. Why they chose to go so far over the normal 18% is a mystery, it's not a special place. I expect they also add the charge on and then leave the tip space on the credit card receipt anyway so you end up double-tipping by mistake.

Since I became more financially secure I have upped my tips I give. It used to be rounding up the bill plus 10%, now I add 15% and a bit more for good service.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 6:45 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
I hate tips, especially for things that are pretty much just part of the job. Even worse is that the amount of tips depends on the cost of the food/drink. Decent beer isn't any harder to pour than the cheap stuff, yet I'm supposed to give the waitstaff extra for it? Those working in a cheap restaurant receive much less in tips for the same level of service just because the food is so cheap.

I wouldn't be surprised if we were expected to tip someone in a clothes shop in the future.

Noticed a local restaurant will add a 23% tip to the bill for large parties. Why they chose to go so far over the normal 18% is a mystery, it's not a special place. I expect they also add the charge on and then leave the tip space on the credit card receipt anyway so you end up double-tipping by mistake.

Since I became more financially secure I have upped my tips I give. It used to be rounding up the bill plus 10%, now I add 15% and a bit more for good service.
I never drink in bars out here and I cut my own hair as previously mentioned so those never become an issue for me, but I haven't really got a problem leaving a tip for waiters/waitresses; especially in smaller restaurants that we eat in regularly, as it usually means you get a few perks, like being able to sit wherever you want without waiting, or free refills of your Coke where they are not usually offered.

My ma would be ****ed though, she always used to leave a pound coin (sometimes two) on the table when we went out to eat back home
Old Feb 20th 2012, 7:03 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone tip for take-out? I do not, but feel a bit pressured to do it when the payment slip has a line for it just above where they want me to sign.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 7:06 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Does anyone tip for take-out? I do not, but feel a bit pressured to do it when the payment slip has a line for it just above where they want me to sign.
No. One does not tip the cooks at a restaurant and I'm certainly not going to tip them for me driving out to pick it up . One presumes that those lines are there for take-outs that also feature an eat-in section perhaps? Or maybe they're just there because some people just tip anyway?

I do bung delivery drivers a few extra bucks but I usually just go pick take out up myself as I like the drive to get my head showered for a few minutes when the children are 'on form' ...
Old Feb 20th 2012, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

toopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond repute

I used to be a waitress and a bartender. Horrible waitress- hated it - but still tried my best and was always polite to the customers. I was a great bartender - cuz I poured free-hand. Not proud to say I may have created some long lasting alcoholics.

Anyhoo - in those days I made a ton of money. Yes, worked 12-14 hrs a day but had the best life. I was always so chuffed when I got a tip - all the rest of them expected it and I almost framed it!

So I tip well IF the service is good. Don't know why but I still tip about 15% if the service sucks (maybe cuz I lived it - dunno).

Will NOT tip the coffee folks. Hate valet so will drive around for ages for a parking spot. Won't tip cashiers (oh by the by, my friend was a cashier at a coffee shop and one day she put out a tip jar just to see if anyone would tip - she made 40 bucks!!!). Always carry my own bags at the airport - no way am I tipping those guys.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 7:32 pm
I have a comma problem

Always tip your musicians.

Seriously - I made $100.00 one night off a drunk lawyer who just asked if I knew anything by The Band. Had his wife not dragged him away who knows how many more twenties he'd have thrown at me
Old Feb 20th 2012, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

Lola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really nice

I tip my hairdresser and wait staff the odd time I eat out and have no problem giving the mail delivery lady a christmas tip. This ensures she comes up to the house to deliver a parcel which won't fit in the mail box, providing the gate is left open. But slightly off topic I am increasingly getting annoyed generally, and more specifically, by being asked to make a donation to various charities when shopping. 3 weeks ago while browsing in the local Ross store customers were asked if they wished to make a donation to a children's diabetic charity. If a customer made a donation the cashier would make an announcement to the entire store stating that another dollar had been donated and customers were encouraged to clap and cheer after which the cashier whooped with glee. I got my miserable old trout hat on and when it was my turn to pay responded with a firm, "No". it took a bit of nerve I tell you but I really took exception to being almost browbeaten to donate to a charity I know nothing about. If I make a donation to a charity I want to know that the CEO of said charity isn't on $800K a year and that more than 75% of money collected actually goes to the people the charity is meant to help. Sorry for floating off topic.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 8:36 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lola-Monmouth
I tip my hairdresser and wait staff the odd time I eat out and have no problem giving the mail delivery lady a christmas tip. This ensures she comes up to the house to deliver a parcel which won't fit in the mail box, providing the gate is left open. But slightly off topic I am increasingly getting annoyed generally, and more specifically, by being asked to make a donation to various charities when shopping. 3 weeks ago while browsing in the local Ross store customers were asked if they wished to make a donation to a children's diabetic charity. If a customer made a donation the cashier would make an announcement to the entire store stating that another dollar had been donated and customers were encouraged to clap and cheer after which the cashier whooped with glee. I got my miserable old trout hat on and when it was my turn to pay responded with a firm, "No". it took a bit of nerve I tell you but I really took exception to being almost browbeaten to donate to a charity I know nothing about. If I make a donation to a charity I want to know that the CEO of said charity isn't on $800K a year and that more than 75% of money collected actually goes to the people the charity is meant to help. Sorry for floating off topic.
I hate that too. I always say, "No thank you." or, "Thank you, but no." As if they've offered to do something nice for me and I couldn't possibly impose. It's easy.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

Lola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really nice

Originally Posted by Leslie
I hate that too. I always say, "No thank you." or, "Thank you, but no." As if they've offered to do something nice for me and I couldn't possibly impose. It's easy.
Oh that's a good way of putting it. I shall try it next time and hope I feel less like a cheapskate.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 9:14 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lola-Monmouth
Oh that's a good way of putting it. I shall try it next time and hope I feel less like a cheapskate.
It takes the tension out of it.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 9:52 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cosmicjunkie
Like I said, I understand the tipping system in restaurants and that's fine. The thing that annoys me is that a lot of other people in other jobs seem to have jumped on the 'tips bandwagon'. For example, on my way here I got lost at the airport in New york. I was very worried because my flight was due. I asked an official airport attendant to help me find my way. He was very nice and charming and personally led me to where I was supposed to be. Upon arrival he turned to me with his big smile and said, "well mam, here we are. Now I hope you're gonna see me alright for my trouble" Basically, I had to tip him because he showed me the way.
Another time, another airport worker put my bag on a trolley and pushed it a few yards to where my husband was waiting for me at the gate. I had another trolley with another bag and a huge dog cage with the dog in it . I could barely see where I was going and yet he took the lightest bag off me. My husband tipped him $5 and he was all pissed off. I had to give him another $5. I think some of these people are just cheeky bastards and that is what annoys me.
I'd have told them both to sod off. Far too much tip whoring going on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.