Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Are These The Most Loathsome Men In Britain?

Wikiposts

Are These The Most Loathsome Men In Britain?

Old Feb 4th 2006, 11:40 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are These The Most Loathsome Men In Britain?

Originally Posted by Ray
I'm not sure about about that ..
I'll ask the MIL she is from the planet Zod...

You would never guess from her picture.
Old Feb 4th 2006, 11:42 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
National security ..I like that .. its amazing what in the past was considered national security ..

Yes indeed. I know someone, a civil servant, who did 2 years for having an affair with a Romanian.
Old Feb 4th 2006, 11:48 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by elfman
1.I asked how what mechanisms/powers are used to suppress immigrant crime stats.
2.Ray responded by mentioning that the govt can issue D notices.
3.I responded to that by saying that crime stats don't seem to be covered by D notices.

So the question in 1. remains unanswered.
To you maybe.
Old Feb 4th 2006, 11:54 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Tsk, tsk, now you're getting all upset and personal.
Err, no not upset, just bemused by your style of argument.
And shame on me for getting personal - in future i'll stick to sweeping generalisations and banal platitudes
Old Feb 4th 2006, 3:21 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
I have come across genuine asylum seekers simply looking to escape persecution and make a new life and I applaud them. I have also come across unfortunates who have been sold a lie by whatever crime gangs operate in their own country and have spent every last penny and risked life and limb to come to a nirvana which doesnt exist. And those I pity. However, in my travels, I have also come across many single young males looking for nothing more than to get in on some criminal action who have absolutely nothing genuine about them. And those I detest.
That's the thing, though.... both the US and the UK have their fair share of all of the above. What's different is the UK's generous asylum programme. While there is some truth in the idea that taxpayer dollars are paying for loafers claiming asylum, I don't think that having legal asylum seekers increases the crime rate vs having people come in illegally which I believe they would do if they couldn't do it legally.

There's also a LOT of money spent in the US fighting crime.... everything from jails to police to the health care costs of people getting shot and overdosing and .... those "hidden" costs, which increase under illegal immigration because of exploitation of that community and a sense that they operate outside the law, may well exceed the costs of asylum. Is this the old "give everyone enough money for an Ivy League degree as it's cheaper than keeping them in prison"? Maybe.
Old Feb 5th 2006, 12:34 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by snowbunny
That's the thing, though.... both the US and the UK have their fair share of all of the above. What's different is the UK's generous asylum programme. While there is some truth in the idea that taxpayer dollars are paying for loafers claiming asylum, I don't think that having legal asylum seekers increases the crime rate vs having people come in illegally which I believe they would do if they couldn't do it legally.

There's also a LOT of money spent in the US fighting crime.... everything from jails to police to the health care costs of people getting shot and overdosing and .... those "hidden" costs, which increase under illegal immigration because of exploitation of that community and a sense that they operate outside the law, may well exceed the costs of asylum. Is this the old "give everyone enough money for an Ivy League degree as it's cheaper than keeping them in prison"? Maybe.

The problem though, and it may seem harsh at first, is that there is always a finite supply of resources - whether thats health care, schools, jobs, land or whatever. So at what point do you draw the line? Do you say "Oh Im sorry, you're the 10,000,000th and 1...you cant come in now as we are full".

Imagine for a minute you own 10 acres. Seems a lot of land for one person, so you give an acre to some poor unfortunate. Still got 9 so thats ok. Then you give another acre to the next, and then the next. Now the 10th person needs some space, what do you do? Give them your last acre and you have none? No, you give them half an acre....but wait a minute..you gave the other 9 one acre each, thats not fair. now another 10 are lining up for land and you have to start getting the original people to hand over some of the land you gave them. Before you know it there isnt enough for anyone at all, fights break out, tensions rise and the original inhabitants are displaced.

Thats why there HAS to be controls on immigration. And the rules can seem mighty unfair but they HAVE to be there or sooner or later everything will break down.