Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

tell me the positives!

tell me the positives!

Old Sep 23rd 2013, 6:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tell me the positives!

Originally Posted by Bink
And it's on at a decent time that doesn't completely kill the day!
They do need to fix the Android app though. I've yet to get it to work for more than a few seconds.

iOS app after the last update works pretty well though, even with the adverts, but even that crashes every now and again....but it would be nice to have a couple matches on at once...I've given up the tele to the kids or it'd be 3 matches
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 6:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BubbleChog
.... Another plus point here the bath tubs are huge
They are? Almost all US baths are designed to fit in a 60" long space (between the wall framing measurement), or less, and I have never seen a house with a longer one. Allowing for the lip and the slope of the ends you're lucky to have more than 4' of usable length even in 60" bath, but the big flaw is that most are no deeper than a saucer, about half the depth of a typical British bath, and it is impossible to have a deep bath, but very easy to slosh water over the side.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 6:35 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
They are? Almost all US baths are designed to fit in a 60" long space (between the wall framing measurement), or less, and I have never seen a house with a longer one. Allowing for the lip and the slope of the ends you're lucky to have more than 4' of usable length even in 60" bath, but the big flaw is that most are no deeper than a saucer, about half the depth of a typical British bath, and it is impossible to have a deep bath, but very easy to slosh water over the side.
Agreed.

I've never had a bath, in the UK or the US, where I could fit comfortably length-ways over the age of about 12, and I'm a short-arse ...

Depth-wise, our current bath is acceptable but I'd like to be able to properly stretch out in it, rather than have to bend my knees, or have my feet hanging out in some way.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 6:46 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Agreed.

I've never had a bath, in the UK or the US, where I could fit comfortably length-ways over the age of about 12, and I'm a short-arse ...

Depth-wise, our current bath is acceptable but I'd like to be able to properly stretch out in it, rather than have to bend my knees, or have my feet hanging out in some way.
I just remembered the whirlpool tubs are quite wide, presumably to fit the larger American, er, ... frame, and I have seen some corner tubs that large and are commonly installed in McMansions, but in most ordinary houses, no, the tubs are not especially large.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 6:50 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I just remembered the whirlpool tubs are quite wide, presumably to fit the larger American, er, ... frame, and I have seen some corner tubs that large and are commonly installed in McMansions, but in most ordinary houses, no, the tubs are not especially large.
We just have the bog standard (presumably 5') bath. Does the job, I suppose. I never take a bath to wash, I prefer a shower for that but it is nice to sit in hot water if I feel sick or my back is playing up.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
We just have the bog standard (presumably 5') bath. Does the job, I suppose. I never take a bath to wash, I prefer a shower for that but it is nice to sit in hot water if I feel sick or my back is playing up.
+1. Exactly!
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 6:55 pm
I have a comma problem

+1. Exactly!
I had the bonus of an unintentional pun with 'bog standard' there as well ...
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 7:14 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bink
And it's on at a decent time that doesn't completely kill the day!
Completely agree. I far prefer the times the footie is on as I can enjoy the rest of the day unlike in the UK.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 7:18 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Completely agree. I far prefer the times the footie is on as I can enjoy the rest of the day unlike in the UK.
Sometimes, if it's an early game, I even get to enjoy it in peace!!
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

mwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of light

I have been in the US for 32 years and 17 of those in FL.
Whenever I go back to England for a visit I am usually ready to come home after a few days.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

mwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of light

I have been in the US for 32 years and 17 of those in FL.
Whenever I go back to England for a visit I am usually ready to come home after a few days.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 12:16 am
Forum Regular

judesM is an unknown quantity at this point

about BBC America. It seems a few months ago the channel only aired episodes of Top Gear and little else. Was it just me or did they?!
Old Sep 24th 2013, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by judesM
about BBC America. It seems a few months ago the channel only aired episodes of Top Gear and little else. Was it just me or did they?!
That, Dr Who, and Graham Norton.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 10:52 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

That, Dr Who, and Graham Norton.
If they could do away with the 40 minutes of commercials per hour, that would be the perfect channel really.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 4:14 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Nutek
If they could do away with the 40 minutes of commercials per hour, that would be the perfect channel really.
Correction - if they'd start showing Father Ted and Black Books again, like they did when we first got the channel in 2006, then it'd be perfect.

Granted, I do love me Top Gear but I seem to be the only Brit I know who doesn't think Dr Who is only worth watching if it has Tom Baker in it ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.