Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

tell me the positives!

tell me the positives!

Old Sep 23rd 2013, 3:04 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tell me the positives!

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Maybe he's easily entertained as well.
Yeah. That's pretty much true.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Currently Cheshire in UK but soon to be an Expat....
dfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud of

so, let me know if I have this right. If I go to a store and buy a tv, take it home and plug it in will I get any free to air tv channels?

is there an equivalent to a tv licence?

let me just say thanks to you all for posting it really is a mine of useful info. Thanks very much.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 3:10 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SEL_boy
Oh, I agree with this 110%.

We have not had cable TV (or even over-the-air TV, but that's because I just haven't bothered to sort that out) for over two years now. We have Apple TV and subscriptions to Netflix streaming and HULU plus, for a total of about $15 a month. That gives us pretty much everything we need.
If you are a big sports fan this wouldn't work for you, and you can't watch the Oscars/Emmys/Grammys if that kind of thing appeals to you, but otherwise... I think we ended up paying $90/month when we last had cable.

And I found myself idly watching the Kardashians, so I knew that *had* to stop.
I agree too, we scrapped our TV contract earlier this year. We watch some stuff over the internet, and some DVDs, but really don't much miss the TV at all, and realised how much time we wasted watching TV. .... We had never reached the point of watching the Kartrashians though, thankfully.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 3:11 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dfrbrowne
so, let me know if I have this right. If I go to a store and buy a tv, take it home and plug it in will I get any free to air tv channels?

let me just say thanks to you all for posting it really is a mine of useful info. Thanks very much.
There is no TV license. You'll only get free to air channels if you have an antenna and are in range of a transmitter, most houses don't have antennae these days.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 3:14 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, as long as it has a QAM tuner. However, the implementation of this on my Panasonic TV is incredibly messy, plus it requires having an existing cable connection in place to provide the feed.

You'd be better off getting a HDTV aerial imo.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 3:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Yes, it is certainly something to be aware of although I'm not quite sure how well it fits into a thread whose title is "tell me the positives!" ...
Yeah I know I should shut up. I have been really trying to lately.

Does BBC america run ads?
Just the odd one or two
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 3:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I'm certainly not having a go, (and it might that I am watching entirely too much of Orange Is The New Black, ) but this sounds like the sort of thing people who have been sent to prison for a long stay say.

People who are here not because this is their dream, but because their partner is from the USA, or they have a job that has brought them here (which is a high proportion of the people on this site, I would say) are forever telling themselves that they have a better standard of living (bigger house, more land, better car, etc.) and that if you relax into it and stop comparing things to back home and try to assimilate you will have an easier time of it. You can't get out, so make the best of it.

While definitely true, it kind of overlooks the fact that you are doing the equivalent of making booze in the toilet and trading ciggies for a shiv.
Ha ha perfect.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 4:25 pm
Northern Monkey!

jibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond repute

I'm certainly not having a go, (and it might that I am watching entirely too much of Orange Is The New Black, ) but this sounds like the sort of thing people who have been sent to prison for a long stay say.

People who are here not because this is their dream, but because their partner is from the USA, or they have a job that has brought them here (which is a high proportion of the people on this site, I would say) are forever telling themselves that they have a better standard of living (bigger house, more land, better car, etc.) and that if you relax into it and stop comparing things to back home and try to assimilate you will have an easier time of it. You can't get out, so make the best of it.

While definitely true, it kind of overlooks the fact that you are doing the equivalent of making booze in the toilet and trading ciggies for a shiv.
I was merely stating that it is a completely different culture here, and trying to compare it to, and or expect the same as it is back in the UK is not going to be very fruitful! i too moved here to be with my spouse and do not at all feel like i am making do. I love it here, but this is not or never will be the UK.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 5:30 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

If you aren't in the US because of a partner or because your job brought you here how else can you get here? Dreamers are on here daily being reminded that just wanting to be in the States isn't enough to actually get you here. You need a visa.

Some certainly position themselves within a job and deliberately try to get over here but it's still their job that brought them over.

Maybe I'm splitting hairs here... I think I understand that you're saying that the job moved them rather than them actively trying to come over.

I think it is what you make of it. I love it here. I love the heat, the size of the houses, the bigger cars and the fact that I'm not still working at 9pm at night because I'm dealing with American clients! It suits me here - I go in early (leave the house 5-5.30am) and get home early. I couldn't do that in the UK - its not the done thing to turn up at 6am in the UK and leave at 3 - here it's quite common.

Of course there are personal reasons that make me happy here too. I married an American (I got over here on my own though) which certainly helped me to settle here and my inlaws are in Houston and I get on great with them. I also chose to come over - I wasn't forced - it was my own decision to come over.

I also have a much better job than I did in the UK even though I'm with the same company so that certainly helps me too (I came over to set up an office for my company).
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 5:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bink
It suits me here - I go in early (leave the house 5-5.30am) and get home early. I couldn't do that in the UK - its not the done thing to turn up at 6am in the UK and leave at 3 - here it's quite common.
It's common in the UK too thanks to flexible working. Depends on the job of course, but most people I know do that, including my husband who is usually at his desk by 7am and leaves by 3/4pm to avoid the worst of the London rush hour.

Old Sep 23rd 2013, 5:42 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
It's common in the UK too thanks to flexible working. Depends on the job of course, but most people I know do that, including my husband who is usually at his desk by 7am and leaves by 3/4pm to avoid the worst of the London rush hour.

Maybe it's just my company! They all go in late and go home late.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 5:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bink
Maybe it's just my company! They all go in late and go home late.
I'd much rather go in early! Maybe they like their lie ins too much.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 6:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The positives - Different type of landscape and wildlife....whether you get the time and ability to go enjoy it or not is another question, but it is different and can be lovely.

Different base as a hub for holidays to other countries or states, but again, as above, if you've got the time to enjoy it.

Foods different, probably get pretty decent Mexican/Cuban/other south American foods, at a guess, Brazilian or Guatemalan etc.

Get to drive stupidly big cars and trucks if you want....and shoot things, lots of things, with big and/or fast shooting guns.

Probably get more premier league footy over here now than in the UK.

Different, but decent seafood, probably for cheap down there, and same with fruits.

If you're a fan of the 80's, you could probably grow a mullet and fit right in and do your grocery shop at Walmart in your PJ's.

Pretty decent micro brew scene in a lot of places.

If you're into hiking or water sports, you probably have a good chance of enjoying it around the area.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 6:15 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Originally Posted by Bob

Probably get more premier league footy over here now than in the UK.
And it's on at a decent time that doesn't completely kill the day!
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 6:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BubbleChog
Yes but not in bags you could use to fill the average British bath tub.

Another plus point here the bath tubs are huge
None I've seen has been....but then as they say, just move a few miles and it might as well be a new country

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.