Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

tell me the positives!

tell me the positives!

Old Sep 24th 2013, 5:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tell me the positives!

Originally Posted by Nutek
Yeah.. we picked up a couple of Phillips units from Amazon. Paid about 40 apiece for them I think. Nothing fancy, but 1080P capable and Region 0, so perfect for what I needed.
I couldn't find them anywhere when our last one died and this Samsung did the trick.

Weren't many that had hdmi out, which just makes life a little easier...still can't complain for the money.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 5:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dfrbrowne
thats a point, I am bring my large dvd library with me, so if I bring my own UK dvd player with me will it work in the US, do I need a transformer or anything?
Sell/donate it.

It won't work here and like we've said, you can get a player for peanuts and hack it to be regionless.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 5:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Oh aye, I can find one easy enough, I just tend to spend my spare cash on other things before I get to it
I hear ya

I got some Amazon gift cards from doing a few surveys, which came in rather handy at the time
Old Sep 24th 2013, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Currently Cheshire in UK but soon to be an Expat....
dfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud of

but how do you hack it...?

can't say technology is one of my strong points!
Old Sep 24th 2013, 5:46 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I hear ya

I got some Amazon gift cards from doing a few surveys, which came in rather handy at the time
At a pinch, I can watch them on the computer for now, so all is not lost.

You enter a code with the remote. The codes can be found on the internet.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 5:52 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I just hear that the driving is bad,
The TV has ads every couple of minutes,
The hurricanes
the mosquitos
The cockroaches and the termites?

Or your eyes burning from the chlorinated tap water when you have a shower.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 5:53 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
I still watch pretty much exclusively British TV in my household.
Which is of course vastly superior.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 5:54 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

At a pinch, I can watch them on the computer for now, so all is not lost.

You enter a code with the remote. The codes can be found on the internet.
Or just buy one from Amazon that is already Region Free.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...20dvd%20player
Old Sep 24th 2013, 6:00 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Or just buy one from Amazon that is already Region Free.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...20dvd%20player
Yeah, if you want to do it the easy way ...
Old Sep 24th 2013, 6:03 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, if you want to do it the easy way ...
Old Sep 24th 2013, 6:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

http://www.videohelp.com/

Stick the DVD player you're interested in into the site to see if there's a hack. Sony tend not to be hackable, others more so.

Some require a firmware hack, where you burn a CD that you download and run that in the player, which is a little risky. Best ones are the remote control hacks with a number or button sequence.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Positives... I think mine are going to be quite location-specific, but I'll try:

- I prefer the weather here to the UK weather. Sure, it's stupid hot 3-4 months of the year and you're largely stuck inside, but at least whilst you're housebound it's still blue outside, so looks cheery. And walking 100 yds from the car to the supermarket in the mad heat is still easier than doing it in the pouring rain.

- we have a huge house, with a big yard, and a pool. Shallow, moi? But I like the sense of space this gives us, with the high ceilings and large rooms, and the way the yard is set up for entertaining and outside living (we have an outdoor grill and kitchen on mains gas).

- my kids are, to my surprise, having an extended childhood compared to my UK friends with same-age kids (currently 13 and 9). Their 13, nearly 14 yr olds are proto-adults, on their 3rd or 4th boyfriend/ girlfriend, and worrying about their social media image. My son was openly shocked the other day when it came up in conversation that I had my first kiss aged 13 - here, dating doesn't seem to start until 15 or 16 at least. He hasn't bothered doing things like setting up a Facebook page as it's not relevant for his social circle, and his friends are only just starting to get their own phones. This is the exact opposite of how I thought it would be before we moved, when I slightly worried that my kids wouldn't appear 'street' enough to be cool.

- assuming we stay here long enough, the kids can become dual US/UK citizens and will then have the entire Western World as their playground for living and working for their whole lives. If they're lucky, the US will even fix the citizen tax thing. Not holding my breath, mind.

- everything here is convenient and easy. Stores are open all the time, and there's always somewhere to park. Coming from Switzerland before we moved here, this is a BIG deal, as their shopping hours are like pre-1950s Britain, with less car parks and narrower roads.

- everyone is astonishingly friendly and cheerful, all the time. This is very pleasant to be around for casual interactions. And on the odd occasion it gets tiresome, we've made some excellent European friends with whom we can get drunk and be more acerbic.

- I like being the novelty foreigner. People collect me like a pet, which is amusing, and some of them are genuinely keen to get to know someone 'different' and learn more about other types of people out in the world. I've been 'that English lady' since 2008, in Switzerland, and here, and I like the easy identity tag. I like that I can be charmingly eccentric, and largely get away with anything (I am, for example, the only adult woman - adult, in fact - in my neighborhood who rides a microscooter to the mailbox).

- this one's very Phoenix-specific, but everywhere's so clean. It's a new city so hasn't had time to get grimy, and the dry climate means you don't get any moss and weeds growing everywhere like motorway embankments. Instead, they make great use of coloured and printed concretes, and gravels, and do fantastic patterns and shapes in the public areas. It's like living in a future Metropolis city.

It's funny - I still miss Switzerland at times, but I don't miss the UK at all, apart from family. We went back in the summer for two weeks, and I was delighted to come 'home' again.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 8:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Wow no extended childhood where we are. It's designer labels, getting in the right clique at school, social media and sexy clothing and talk from about age 11.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Wow no extended childhood where we are. It's designer labels, getting in the right clique at school, social media and sexy clothing and talk from about age 11.
Yeah, but they don't have 10 B&H like we used to. Kids of today.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 8:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, but they don't have 10 B&H like we used to. Kids of today.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.