Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

tell me the positives!

tell me the positives!

Old Sep 23rd 2013, 1:18 pm
  #31  
I have a comma problem
 
SultanOfSwing's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Fox Lake, IL (from Carrickfergus NI)
Posts: 49,598
SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tell me the positives!

Originally Posted by civilservant
Soccer is incorrect. The name of the game is Association Football.
Robin is right, I'm afraid. Soccer is an Oxford '-er' (like rugger), derived from the 'association' in Association Football. While football is accepted as the term for the game played with feet around the world, countries who have incorrectly named their versions of rugby as football (Canada, US, Australia and parts of Ireland believe it or not) refer to it as 'soccer'.

It doesn't annoy me as much as it used to because I am reminded of that great game of my youth 'Sensible Soccer' and I am made happy.
SultanOfSwing is offline  
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 1:22 pm
  #32  
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 52,446
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tell me the positives!

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
..... and I am made happy.
Now you're starting to sound like Nutek!
Pulaski is offline  
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 1:30 pm
  #33  
I have a comma problem
 
SultanOfSwing's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Fox Lake, IL (from Carrickfergus NI)
Posts: 49,598
SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tell me the positives!

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Now you're starting to sound like Nutek!
Maybe he's easily entertained as well.
SultanOfSwing is offline  
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 1:35 pm
  #34  
Banned
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 5,154
hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tell me the positives!

Originally Posted by dfrbrowne
Its looking more and more likely that my family and I will be moving to Tampa in Florida.

We are over for a week next week paid for by her company to help us decide and have a look around.

What do you Brits miss about England now that you are living in the US?

I just hear that the driving is bad,
The TV has ads every couple of minutes,
I can only comment on the state i live in, but yes, driving standards are appalling. What makes it comical is the State government regards their test process as better than all other countries (with the exception of Germany) so unless you hold a German licence (and are allowed to perform a straight swap) you have to sit through the theory and driving test (which involves driving round a housing estate for 5 minutes. Utter joke).

The TV here in terms of 'quality' is also utter tosh, but that probably comes as no surprise to you. I still watch pretty much exclusively British TV in my household.
hungryhorace is offline  
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 1:52 pm
  #35  
I have a comma problem
 
SultanOfSwing's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Fox Lake, IL (from Carrickfergus NI)
Posts: 49,598
SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tell me the positives!

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
I can only comment on the state i live in, but yes, driving standards are appalling. What makes it comical is the State government regards their test process as better than all other countries (with the exception of Germany) so unless you hold a German licence (and are allowed to perform a straight swap) you have to sit through the theory and driving test (which involves driving round a housing estate for 5 minutes. Utter joke).

The TV here in terms of 'quality' is also utter tosh, but that probably comes as no surprise to you. I still watch pretty much exclusively British TV in my household.
Although from the point of view of a relocated expat who has already done the harder, UK driving test - the ease of the US tests is most definitely a good point ...
SultanOfSwing is offline  
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 1:54 pm
  #36  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: Currently Cheshire in UK but soon to be an Expat....
Posts: 98
dfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud of
Default Re: tell me the positives!

But what about HBO and AMC, I love Mad Men and Broadwalk Empire and the like.

Are these channels you have to pay for, how does the Tv work over there.

I pretty much only watch the BBc over here and DVDs to avoid the annoying adds, there is a lot wrong with the BBC but thank god they don't run ads.

Does BBC america run ads?

If one is paying for cable TV, what should one budget and are the ads less on those channels?
dfrbrowne is offline  
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 1:55 pm
  #37  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 67
SEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: tell me the positives!

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
I can only comment on the state i live in, but yes, driving standards are appalling. What makes it comical is the State government regards their test process as better than all other countries (with the exception of Germany) so unless you hold a German licence (and are allowed to perform a straight swap) you have to sit through the theory and driving test (which involves driving round a housing estate for 5 minutes. Utter joke).

The TV here in terms of 'quality' is also utter tosh, but that probably comes as no surprise to you. I still watch pretty much exclusively British TV in my household.

I would agree 100% with the driving test comment - when I moved over here I went to the DMV to find out what I would need to do to get a US license - pick up a copy of the equivalant to the Highway Code so I could study the rules, etc. - and they said well, since you're here why don't you take the test, you can always re-take if you fail.

I was dubious, but went along with it. We got in the a car and drove out of the car park, turned right four times and then back into the car park. It was a very quiet weekday morning, I doubt if we saw more than a couple of cars.

Then, back into the DMV where I did a touch-screen multiple choice test that would insult the intelligence of a five year old. Passed.

What a waste of time. They might as well give you a licence with the car when you buy it, it's so pointless.

And I wish someone would explain what indicators are to these people.


The TV comment on the other hand I would strongly disagree with... while I watch more than my fair share of UK TV here, there is plenty of very high quality TV made in the US -- it's just that there is SO MUCH TV made here that it represents a small percentage.

Orange Is The New Black / Breaking Bad / 30 Rock / Sopranos / The Wire / Dexter / Arrested Development -- I could go on, there's loads.
SEL_boy is offline  
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 2:00 pm
  #38  
Banned
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 5,154
hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tell me the positives!

Originally Posted by SEL_boy

Orange Is The New Black / Breaking Bad / 30 Rock / Sopranos / The Wire / Dexter / Arrested Development -- I could go on, there's loads.
Completely agree with you concerning those shows (HBO / Showtime material), my comment was more about the news coverage (I should have made this clearer though), rather than anything else. I find the standard of 'news' here beyond the pale. Watching O'Reilly refer to people with remotely non right wing authoritarian strong state views as the 'hard left' just makes my blood boil.
hungryhorace is offline  
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 2:02 pm
  #39  
I have a comma problem
 
SultanOfSwing's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Fox Lake, IL (from Carrickfergus NI)
Posts: 49,598
SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tell me the positives!

Originally Posted by dfrbrowne
But what about HBO and AMC, I love Mad Men and Broadwalk Empire and the like.

Are these channels you have to pay for, how does the Tv work over there.

I pretty much only watch the BBc over here and DVDs to avoid the annoying adds, there is a lot wrong with the BBC but thank god they don't run ads.

Does BBC america run ads?

If one is paying for cable TV, what should one budget and are the ads less on those channels?
AMC has always been part of any satellite/cable package we have, you should get that with just about any basic one I think. HBO is a subscription channel - either you have to get the 'everything' package, or pay a montly fee to add it to your existing package. Same goes for Cinemax, Starz, Showtime, Encore.

Cable prices vary depending on the package. Most seem to start at $29.99 for a basic/shite one and run up all the way to over $100.00/mo. We have a bundle TV, phone, internet and my wife handles the bills, I couldn't tell you what we pay .

BBCA runs ads, but that mostly shows Top Gear, Dr Who, Gordon Ramsay and a bunch of drama shows I never watch. I DVR Top Gear now and that is my interaction with BBCA done with for the week.

The ads are the same whether you have cable, satellite or normal through-the-air TV. It just is what it is. It gives you plenty of chances to go for a slash, or put the kettle on during a show. HBO et al do not run ads though. PBS runs only a few between programs, they can be considered largely commercial free.

US TV is OK, though. In many cases, really very good.
SultanOfSwing is offline  
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 2:23 pm
  #40  
Banned
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 5,154
hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tell me the positives!

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Cable prices vary depending on the package. Most seem to start at $29.99 for a basic/shite one and run up all the way to over $100.00/mo. We have a bundle TV, phone, internet and my wife handles the bills, I couldn't tell you what we pay .
We pay $100 for internet / tv (package up from basic that includes sports channels) / phone.

Interestingly, when I originally moved here I couldn't believe how expensive it is, but as the months have gone by I actually feel that I get 'value' with my package compared to the UK. For example, my phone line here I can use to phone any domestic number and experience no charges. This is in stark contrast to the UK where 0845/0844/0870/0871 numbers are established like a toxic plaque.

My internet service is quite simply incredible. Full FTTP with constantly excellent speeds regardless of time, and NO port shaping like I had to put up with Virgin Media in the UK. The TV package gets me NBC Sports which I watch the football on in the mornings, and that does me fine. HBO / Showtime content etc is easily found elsewhere if you want it.
hungryhorace is offline  
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 2:26 pm
  #41  
I have a comma problem
 
SultanOfSwing's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Fox Lake, IL (from Carrickfergus NI)
Posts: 49,598
SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tell me the positives!

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
We pay $100 for internet / tv (package up from basic that includes sports channels) / phone.

Interestingly, when I originally moved here I couldn't believe how expensive it is, but as the months have gone by I actually feel that I get 'value' with my package compared to the UK. For example, my phone line here I can use to phone any domestic number and experience no charges. This is in stark contrast to the UK where 0845/0844/0870/0871 numbers are established like a toxic plaque.

My internet service is quite simply incredible. Full FTTP with constantly excellent speeds regardless of time, and NO port shaping like I had to put up with Virgin Media in the UK. The TV package gets me NBC Sports which I watch the football on in the mornings, and that does me fine. HBO / Showtime content etc is easily found elsewhere if you want it.
It really isn't too bad, especially when you are in an area that gets a decent internet connection.

No matter what you pay for your TV though, one will always hit that time on a Sunday afternoon where there is not one single thing on that you want to watch
SultanOfSwing is offline  
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 2:34 pm
  #42  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 67
SEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: tell me the positives!

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Completely agree with you concerning those shows (HBO / Showtime material), my comment was more about the news coverage (I should have made this clearer though), rather than anything else. I find the standard of 'news' here beyond the pale. Watching O'Reilly refer to people with remotely non right wing authoritarian strong state views as the 'hard left' just makes my blood boil.
Oh, I agree with this 110%.

We have not had cable TV (or even over-the-air TV, but that's because I just haven't bothered to sort that out) for over two years now. We have Apple TV and subscriptions to Netflix streaming and HULU plus, for a total of about $15 a month. That gives us pretty much everything we need.
If you are a big sports fan this wouldn't work for you, and you can't watch the Oscars/Emmys/Grammys if that kind of thing appeals to you, but otherwise... I think we ended up paying $90/month when we last had cable.

And I found myself idly watching the Kardashians, so I knew that *had* to stop.
SEL_boy is offline  
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 2:45 pm
  #43  
Northern Monkey!
 
jibsymalone's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 530
jibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tell me the positives!

Well, i would say that at first it is a bit of a struggle, but i found it was more of lots of "little differences" this side of the pond than one big one that helps a little! (they supposedly speak "English" here so that is a good start). You will find the summers here in Florida brutal, especially if you have to work outside at all (i swear it was a running joke for my company to send the Englishman out in the heat everyday in the summer for the first 5 years i was here! lol) but you do get acclimatized (sort of), and AC is your best friend, it is everywhere down here.
The television thing is not as big a deal as it was when i moved here due to the advent of widespread streaming and torrents you can pretty much stay current on most British shows (there are plenty of threads on that).
I have a much higher standard of living here than i would in the UK, got a far bigger house, drive nicer vehicles, don't live on top of my neighbor etc. The healthcare, beer, lack of mandatory vacation (i don't get any, or never had for 8 years) are a joke, but it is what it is, you learn to deal with it, even though you still find every opportunity to grumble!
The food here i love, especially if you like to eat out. One tip i can pass on from personal experience is, that i found myself comparing everything to Britain when i moved here, and really fought to stay "British" and i think that is why i found it hard at first. eventually i just gave in and accepted that things are just the way they are here, and i alone cannot change them. once i accepted this and started just going with the flow it has been an awesome ride since, i don't think i would ever move back to the UK.
Another good tip is to have people bring bits and pieces you miss from home with them when they visit, i have a cupboard full of teabags and birds custard powder! (the other stuff doesn't ever last as long!) the benefit for them is that they have more space in their luggage to bring back the dirt cheap clothes they find here! ( my family pretty much come in the clothes they are standing in and stock up while here!)
I think you and your family will love it here, if you do start to get a little homesick you can always head to mousetown (Orlando) and hang out with all the Brits that are there!
jibsymalone is offline  
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 2:48 pm
  #44  
Heading for Poppyland
 
robin1234's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: North Norfolk and northern New York State
Posts: 14,540
robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tell me the positives!

Originally Posted by SEL_boy
Oh, I agree with this 110%.

We have not had cable TV (or even over-the-air TV, but that's because I just haven't bothered to sort that out) for over two years now. We have Apple TV and subscriptions to Netflix streaming and HULU plus, for a total of about $15 a month. That gives us pretty much everything we need.
If you are a big sports fan this wouldn't work for you, and you can't watch the Oscars/Emmys/Grammys if that kind of thing appeals to you, but otherwise... I think we ended up paying $90/month when we last had cable.

And I found myself idly watching the Kardashians, so I knew that *had* to stop.
Going even lower, we just get DVDs from local libraries, at a cost of $0 per month. We used to have Netflix at $7.99 a month, but come the spring and summer, we never used it so gave up ..

I've lived in the US for twenty plus years and never had TV service, never missed it either. Not really sure when folks find the time to watch TV on a regular basis; enough to justify actually paying a monthly charge for it, that is!
robin1234 is offline  
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 2:58 pm
  #45  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 67
SEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: tell me the positives!

Originally Posted by jibsymalone
Well, i would say that at first it is a bit of a struggle, but i found it was more of lots of "little differences" this side of the pond than one big one that helps a little! (they supposedly speak "English" here so that is a good start). You will find the summers here in Florida brutal, especially if you have to work outside at all (i swear it was a running joke for my company to send the Englishman out in the heat everyday in the summer for the first 5 years i was here! lol) but you do get acclimatized (sort of), and AC is your best friend, it is everywhere down here.
The television thing is not as big a deal as it was when i moved here due to the advent of widespread streaming and torrents you can pretty much stay current on most British shows (there are plenty of threads on that).
I have a much higher standard of living here than i would in the UK, got a far bigger house, drive nicer vehicles, don't live on top of my neighbor etc. The healthcare, beer, lack of mandatory vacation (i don't get any, or never had for 8 years) are a joke, but it is what it is, you learn to deal with it, even though you still find every opportunity to grumble!
The food here i love, especially if you like to eat out. One tip i can pass on from personal experience is, that i found myself comparing everything to Britain when i moved here, and really fought to stay "British" and i think that is why i found it hard at first. eventually i just gave in and accepted that things are just the way they are here, and i alone cannot change them. once i accepted this and started just going with the flow it has been an awesome ride since, i don't think i would ever move back to the UK.
Another good tip is to have people bring bits and pieces you miss from home with them when they visit, i have a cupboard full of teabags and birds custard powder! (the other stuff doesn't ever last as long!) the benefit for them is that they have more space in their luggage to bring back the dirt cheap clothes they find here! ( my family pretty much come in the clothes they are standing in and stock up while here!)
I think you and your family will love it here, if you do start to get a little homesick you can always head to mousetown (Orlando) and hang out with all the Brits that are there!

I'm certainly not having a go, (and it might that I am watching entirely too much of Orange Is The New Black, ) but this sounds like the sort of thing people who have been sent to prison for a long stay say.

People who are here not because this is their dream, but because their partner is from the USA, or they have a job that has brought them here (which is a high proportion of the people on this site, I would say) are forever telling themselves that they have a better standard of living (bigger house, more land, better car, etc.) and that if you relax into it and stop comparing things to back home and try to assimilate you will have an easier time of it. You can't get out, so make the best of it.

While definitely true, it kind of overlooks the fact that you are doing the equivalent of making booze in the toilet and trading ciggies for a shiv.
SEL_boy is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.