Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Talking of hot ....

Talking of hot ....

Old Aug 8th 2007, 1:39 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Talking of hot ....

Originally Posted by dbj1000
I'm... shocked by how low so many of you set your AC.

I would be FROZEN if we cooled the place to 68F like some of you do. Bloody frozen.

Well in my defence the a/c has hardly been on it doesn't need to be, its at those temps normally.

It only gets to about 80f outside if we're lucky.
Last Summer was far hotter here.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 1:40 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

In winter our house is at 62 all day 65 in the evening...but we do have a log fire going which keeps the temp of the living room way up......at night it is in the low 50s...I like a cold house at night ....we have econe panels around the house at 3 cents an hour they keep rooms we don't use a lot warmish ..they also stop parts of the house from getting to cold at night so it easier and quicker to warm up in the morning about the only time I use the gas ......I have one panel out here in my office...and I need no other heat because this room is small..

Gas just costs to much to heat a house and you still feel cold when it turns off...I try my best not to use it....
Old Aug 8th 2007, 1:44 pm
Account Closed

southern comfort is an unknown quantity at this point

Thermostat set at 78 degrees (hint pick a comfortable setting for you and yours and leave it alone) constantly changing runs the bill up.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 1:47 pm

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southern comfort
Thermostat set at 78 degrees (hint pick a comfortable setting for you and yours and leave it alone) constantly changing runs the bill up.
good tip
Old Aug 8th 2007, 1:50 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southern comfort
I try that on the Cape and my bill was sky high...its way cheaper for me to turn it on for an hour 3 times a day ...also my house can be humid at a very low temp...but dry at a high one...
Old Aug 8th 2007, 1:55 pm
Account Closed

Gtsnapper is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Irn-bru
We like (OK I and my OH has got used to it) a cold bedroom about 64f at night
I spent 4 years living in the North of Scotland, and 64F was very warm there. Half the year it would be impossible to get the house temp above the mid 50's, I'd just stick a jumper on, and it wasn't a problem. I remember a few summers back, for a week it reached the mid 70's outside, and I overheard several people say the weather was sizzling. LOL

Last edited by Gtsnapper; Aug 8th 2007 at 1:58 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Gtsnapper
I spent 4 years living in the North of Scotland, and 64F was very warm there. Half the year it would be impossible to get the house temp above the lower to mid 50's, I'd just stick a jumper on, and it wasn't a problem. I remember a few summers back, for a wekk it reached the mid 70's outside, and I overheard several people say the weather was sizzling. LOL
Thank you!! At last someone understands

Its funny my parents never say what the temp is, if its hot here and sunny (we do get them lol).
They just say yes same here, so sunny and hot and (its only about 70f)
Old Aug 8th 2007, 2:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Thats another thing I've noticed, our two apartments before this one had the bedroom's upstairs and was always far warmer than downstairs A/C never seemed to do it's job properly, I'm so glad we live on one floor now
Old Aug 8th 2007, 2:02 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
btw our elec bill for last month was $789 ~ how does that compare to y'alls?
$15 electric and $28 gas. No AC required here.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by britvic
Thats another thing I've noticed, our two apartments before this one had the bedroom's upstairs and was always far warmer than downstairs A/C never seemed to do it's job properly, I'm so glad we live on one floor now
It sucks doesn't it? ours always was at least 10 degrees hotter upstairs when we lived somewhere hot. Hot air rises But as you pointed out why couldn't the a/c do its job and have that knowledge built in somewhere lol. Instead of having to zone a house if you want it cooler upstairs.

Last edited by Irn-bru; Aug 8th 2007 at 2:11 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 2:10 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I would have a coat on if it was set in the mid to low 70's.
not if you had 100% humidity
Old Aug 8th 2007, 2:12 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Ours was $489 but the gas was as much as your leccie bill...even more in winter.

Do all bills end in $89?
our gas in winter averages $300.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 2:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irn-bru
It sucks doesn't it? ours always was at least 10 degrees hotter upstairs when we lived somewhere hot. Hot air rises
I know hot air rises, just thought what with all the new home's and A/C unit's they might of been able to figure out some sort of correct balance for the whole house
Old Aug 8th 2007, 2:14 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
$15 electric and $28 gas. No AC required here.
cheap as chips m8, cheap as chips
Old Aug 8th 2007, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by britvic
I know hot air rises, just thought what with all the new home's and A/C unit's they might of been able to figure out some sort of correct balance for the whole house
I know, sorry thats why I edited my post to make it clearer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.