Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Talking of hot ....

Talking of hot ....

Old Aug 8th 2007, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Talking of hot ....

What temperature do you have your air-con set at?

It's a constant source of amusement in our house as I whack it up (warmer) while H cranks it down.

What do you have yours set to day and night (if different)?

I've asked a few locals and I've got to say we're way out of synch! Mr H thinks their temperatures are wrong lol
Old Aug 8th 2007, 11:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Talking of hot ....

Originally Posted by Mandana
What temperature do you have your air-con set at?

It's a constant source of amusement in our house as I whack it up (warmer) while H cranks it down.

What do you have yours set to day and night (if different)?

I've asked a few locals and I've got to say we're way out of synch! Mr H thinks their temperatures are wrong lol
I like it hot so I'm not a lover of air con so I have it set at 80F. We like to sleep in a cool room...so the bedroom is set at 68F during the night.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I like it hot so I'm not a lover of air con so I have it set at 80F. We like to sleep in a cool room...so the bedroom is set at 68F during the night.
80F

I'd get lynched if I put it up that high!
Old Aug 8th 2007, 11:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

80F

I'd get lynched if I put it up that high!
You should see our heating bills in winter.

I have the pool temperature set at 90F.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ah, now our landlords went to the expense of putting in the most gorgeous pool and jacuzzi, but a) the pool isn't heated and b) there are no bubbles in the jacuzzi !!

It's all for show!

Mind you, the pool is at 89 anyway it's so damned hot out there. Soon it won't be refreshing to jump in!
Old Aug 8th 2007, 12:08 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Wife sets it 80f.

It was up and down for years between us, I finally got tired and quit fighting it. I spend as much time as possible in the basement where it's cooler.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 12:09 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

How do you not cook yourself?
Old Aug 8th 2007, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Wife sets it 80f.

It was up and down for years between us, I finally got tired and quit fighting it. I spend as much time as possible in the basement where it's cooler.
Our Ac is at 70 to 71F and 68 to 69F in the bedroom. And our elec bills are pretty bad in the summer but who gives a tinkers? Lifes too short to be uncomfortable.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 12:13 pm
Unmitigated Gall

Originally Posted by Adnams
Our Ac is at 70 to 71F and 68 to 69F in the bedroom. And our elec bills are pretty bad in the summer but who gives a tinkers? Lifes too short to be uncomfortable.

That was my argument. She gets her way in the Winter though, since we can get it as hot as she can stand it for "free" the house is roasting.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Wife sets it 80f.

I hate the cold, and it really worried me that moving over here would be hell for me air-con wise. And to begin with it was!

For the first 4 or so weeks I had a terrible back after it stiffened up at night with the air-con on. It was it at 73 A couple of nights I'd put it up to 74, but that was the highest. PJs, socks, extra blankets .... !!

Anyway, I think after my research (asked a dozen or so people) most people have theirs set between 76 & 80

[Nikki] I'm soooooooooooooo cooooooooooooooold [/Nikki]

PS .. if you don't know who Nikki is, you've been here too long!
Old Aug 8th 2007, 12:18 pm
Account Closed

Gtsnapper is an unknown quantity at this point

We try and keep it to around 69F.

Back home, I've always known comfortable room tempreture to be around 20C-68F. Here they seem to like it a little warmer, the air con Guy was here the otherday, He told me all his other customers have it set to at least 24C-75F and often warmer.

Sometimes we have it down to 18C - 64F, I love being cool

Last edited by Gtsnapper; Aug 8th 2007 at 12:22 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gtsnapper
We try and keep it to around 69F.

Back home, I've always known comfortable room tempreture to be around 20C-68F. Here they seem to like it a little warmer, the air con Guy was here the otherday, He told me all his other customers have it set to at least 24C-75F and often warmer.
Are you M or F?? Seems to make one hellova difference

ETA - Just saw your sign .. I knew it! Venus & Mars! Why do men like it so cold when we're the ones who retain body fat for warmth??? :curse:

Last edited by Mandana; Aug 8th 2007 at 12:22 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 12:45 pm
Account Closed

Gtsnapper is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you M or F?? Seems to make one hellova difference
Male. My Wife likes it at 69F, she really hates a hot house like me, but if we've got it down too low, which Im fine with, she gets cold, and we turn it up.

Last edited by Gtsnapper; Aug 8th 2007 at 12:49 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 12:52 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Ours is set at about 73 or so. We change it a lot depending on how we feel.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 12:55 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

I only use my AC if its humid..it can be as high as 90/95 upstairs....its been on 82 most of the time...we use fans...when its humid i try to only have the AC on for a few hours a day...if its dry inside...I don't worry about the temp....

In FL the house is at 81 when we are not there...and at 76/78 when we are...its a very dry house...unlike this one...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.