Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The Survivalist's guide to Bacon

The Survivalist's guide to Bacon

Old Dec 16th 2007, 4:38 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Survivalist's guide to Bacon

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Any takers its Sunday morning and this looks devine!!!
Its perfect. Tears to the eyes.
Really, its quite emotional
Old Dec 16th 2007, 5:42 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Here's my take on the full English breakfast. I made this in 2005:
http://britishexpats.com/photopost/s...16&ppuser=2310

The bacon is British style from Williams in Lumberton, N. Carolina.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 5:44 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira

Thanks - but not sure how this would help me to find back bacon in the US...
Williams in Lumberton, NC, make and sell back bacon. I've bought some from them in the past.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

What *do* they do with the back part of the bacon here?

Total mystery to me...

I've given up on finding anything resembling decent bacon here

Thanks - but not sure how this would help me to find back bacon in the US...
In the US, back bacon is usually called Canadian bacon.

Try this source in Michigan. I can't vouch for the place, because I'm not much of a baconophile myself.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 5:56 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Originally Posted by Bill_S
In the US, back bacon is usually called Canadian bacon.

Try this source in Michigan. I can't vouch for the place, because I'm not much of a baconophile myself.
The stuff labeled Canadian bacon in my local stores looks more like miniature gammon and not bacon at all.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 6:18 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xebedee
I love it! Fantastic stuff, which partly explains my sveldt middle-aged girlish figure but who cares? Its the food of the Gods.

So, whats the best US brand? There is some pretty nasty stuff out there, no doubt. The other day I found some in the freezer, made butties for the tribe and there was enough from a pound pkg for 3 sarnies. (Three?) I managed to grill off almost a whole cup of fat! Ick.

Arguably, its a fun distraction to open up all the little windows on the backs of the packets and return them to the shelves as rejects but it can be frustrating when you are in a rush and just want to cross it off the shopping list.

So, barring an outbreak of bacon-sanity among the locals, what do you think is a decent brand?

This one isn't bad.
I like to get the "center cut" type myself. It's a little less fatty.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

Molly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud of

Ha ha ! Perfect! A thread about bacon. I was wondering how I could slip this recipe into the forum!

Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies w/Maple Cinnamon Glaze

1 cup butter
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 egg
2-1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 cups bacon, cooked and chopped into pieces (about 2lbs)

*An important note- Be sure to use real bacon bits, not Bacos *

Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.

Beat together the butter, sugars, flavoring and eggs until creamy. In another bowl, sift together the dry ingredients. Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and stir together. Dough will be slightly soft. If you want a cakier cookie, add another half cup of flour. Add in chocolate chips and bacon bits. Stir until well integrated. Place dough on a sheet of waxed paper and refrigerate at least an hour. Remove dough from fridge, pinch off 1 1/2 inch pieces of dough and roll into balls. Set dough balls about 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten dough balls slightly with your fingers in the center.

Bake cookies for about 10 minutes, or until the dough starts to turn golden brown. Allow cookies to cool on a cooling rack while you ready the glaze.

Maple Cinnamon Glaze:
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tbsp maple extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
3 tbsp water to make a thick glaze

Mix all ingredients together until smooth and creamy. If lumpy, use a whisk. Spread a small amount of the glaze on the top of each cookie and top with a small piece of crisp cooked bacon.

Old Dec 16th 2007, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

newenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of light

You could try a natural foods store. Most US bacon contains nitrates (?) anyway it's stuff that causes stomach cancer. The natural foods stores have bacon that's, well, natural and you can usually find Canadian bacon rather than streaky.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 9:01 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newenglander
You could try a natural foods store. Most US bacon contains nitrates (?) anyway it's stuff that causes stomach cancer. The natural foods stores have bacon that's, well, natural and you can usually find Canadian bacon rather than streaky.
Our local Coop - the only 'natural' option in town - stocks organic bacon............ but it's streaky. :curse:

I want flicking BACK bacon.......... is that too much too ask FFS!!!
Old Dec 16th 2007, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

For those living in or near San Francisco try the "Fatted Calf" at the San Francisco or the Berkeley Farmers' Market.

http://www.fattedcalf.com/retail.html

http://www.ferryplazafarmersmarket.c...kets/artisans/

http://www.ecologycenter.org/bfm/index.html

Last edited by surly; Dec 16th 2007 at 9:33 pm.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xebedee
I love it! Fantastic stuff, which partly explains my sveldt middle-aged girlish figure but who cares? Its the food of the Gods.

So, whats the best US brand? There is some pretty nasty stuff out there, no doubt. The other day I found some in the freezer, made butties for the tribe and there was enough from a pound pkg for 3 sarnies. (Three?) I managed to grill off almost a whole cup of fat! Ick.

Arguably, its a fun distraction to open up all the little windows on the backs of the packets and return them to the shelves as rejects but it can be frustrating when you are in a rush and just want to cross it off the shopping list.

So, barring an outbreak of bacon-sanity among the locals, what do you think is a decent brand?

This one isn't bad.

Ive given up trying to find proper bacon already... I love breakfast ham
Old Dec 16th 2007, 10:31 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Any takers its Sunday morning and this looks devine!!!

Now that is an Irish breakfast served here but yours doesn't have the sausage.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 10:41 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Now that is an Irish breakfast served here but yours doesn't have the sausage.
Why is it that the Irish like to pretend the full English is called an Irish breakfast because the bacon comes from Ireland? Following that logic most of us eat a full Danish.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

You have to love British food.
Attached Thumbnails The Survivalist's guide to Bacon-grub.gif  
Old Dec 16th 2007, 10:43 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
Why is it that the Irish like to pretend the full English is called an Irish breakfast because the bacon comes from Ireland? Following that logic most of us eat a full Danish.

Well I have always had a big sausage

Last edited by Poppy girl; Dec 16th 2007 at 10:45 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.