Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The Survivalist's guide to Bacon

The Survivalist's guide to Bacon

Old Dec 16th 2007, 10:11 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Survivalist's guide to Bacon

I love it! Fantastic stuff, which partly explains my sveldt middle-aged girlish figure but who cares? Its the food of the Gods.

So, whats the best US brand? There is some pretty nasty stuff out there, no doubt. The other day I found some in the freezer, made butties for the tribe and there was enough from a pound pkg for 3 sarnies. (Three?) I managed to grill off almost a whole cup of fat! Ick.

Arguably, its a fun distraction to open up all the little windows on the backs of the packets and return them to the shelves as rejects but it can be frustrating when you are in a rush and just want to cross it off the shopping list.

So, barring an outbreak of bacon-sanity among the locals, what do you think is a decent brand?

This one isn't bad.
Attached Thumbnails The Survivalist's guide to Bacon-hormel.jpg  
Old Dec 16th 2007, 12:03 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Survivalist's guide to Bacon

The best bacon I have come across (oo-er) is the "Low Sodium" 12oz or 16oz packages from the midwest shopping retailer, meijer. Doesn't seem to have that much fat in it and has a decent amount of meat. Can usually get 2 x 16oz pacakges for $5.00.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

I've given up buying the supermarket stuff and now buy it from a farm down the road. It actually has some meat on it, and there's only a dribble of fat in the frying pan when you've finished. It costs $5.99 a pound.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 1:38 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Thats so funny I just got of the phone with my Mum in the UK, I am flying home tomorrow well trying lol what with the delays, anyway she just said to me "what do you want me to get in the pantry I got you real bacon yesterday from the Butchers" I can smell it now lol.........
Old Dec 16th 2007, 2:45 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Reading the title of the thread, I assumed I was going to learn how to buy a piglet, raise little Wilbur to adulthood, blow his cute little brains out with your shotgun, skin and dress him, smoke him, cook him and eat him.

Didn't someone on these boards do just that, recently?

Instead I see that being a "survivalist" round your neck of the woods involves braving the wilds of the freezer section in Meijer!
Old Dec 16th 2007, 2:58 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

What *do* they do with the back part of the bacon here?

Total mystery to me...

I've given up on finding anything resembling decent bacon here
Old Dec 16th 2007, 3:04 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

How many slices of bacon did you put on a sandwich? There is enough in a lb to make at least 5 or more sandwiches.

Also there is bacon sold in the markets that is leaner than regular bacon. Hormel is a good brand and Armor is as well. I believe it is Armor that has a very lean bacon. Personally I don't use bacon with addictives like maple sugar, etc. My favorite is Boar's Head.

Originally Posted by Xebedee
I love it! Fantastic stuff, which partly explains my sveldt middle-aged girlish figure but who cares? Its the food of the Gods.

So, whats the best US brand? There is some pretty nasty stuff out there, no doubt. The other day I found some in the freezer, made butties for the tribe and there was enough from a pound pkg for 3 sarnies. (Three?) I managed to grill off almost a whole cup of fat! Ick.

Arguably, its a fun distraction to open up all the little windows on the backs of the packets and return them to the shelves as rejects but it can be frustrating when you are in a rush and just want to cross it off the shopping list.

So, barring an outbreak of bacon-sanity among the locals, what do you think is a decent brand?

This one isn't bad.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 3:31 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira

Total mystery to me...

Maybe this chart will help-

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/EDISImagePa...052F1&credits=
Old Dec 16th 2007, 3:47 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin

Thanks - but not sure how this would help me to find back bacon in the US...
Old Dec 16th 2007, 3:52 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
How many slices of bacon did you put on a sandwich? There is enough in a lb to make at least 5 or more sandwiches.

Also there is bacon sold in the markets that is leaner than regular bacon. Hormel is a good brand and Armor is as well. I believe it is Armor that has a very lean bacon. Personally I don't use bacon with addictives like maple sugar, etc. My favorite is Boar's Head.
They shrank so much that it took 4 or 5 strips to get any flavor in the sarnie. Again, 1 (one) cup of grease. Yeesh!

Boar's Head? Yes, I'll look for that one.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 3:54 pm
gurt mint nit?

Total mystery to me...
It gets ground up and added to trotters, noses, hair, teeth and made into this:
Attached Thumbnails The Survivalist's guide to Bacon-hot-dogs.jpg  
Old Dec 16th 2007, 3:57 pm
gurt mint nit?

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Reading the title of the thread, I assumed I was going to learn how to buy a piglet, raise little Wilbur to adulthood, blow his cute little brains out with your shotgun, skin and dress him, smoke him, cook him and eat him.

Instead I see that being a "survivalist" round your neck of the woods involves braving the wilds of the freezer section in Meijer!
We are talking bacon butties here. This is serious shit!.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 4:09 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000

A .22 does the job better Shotguns are messy
Old Dec 16th 2007, 4:09 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Total mystery to me...

Pork chops/pork loin
Old Dec 16th 2007, 4:24 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Any takers its Sunday morning and this looks devine!!!
Attached Thumbnails The Survivalist's guide to Bacon-breakfast.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.