Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Speak f**kin English !

Speak f**kin English !

Old Apr 30th 2006, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

DarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Speak f**kin English !

I've never really had a 'bad' accent experience like you described Patrick. But Americans tendency to try and emulate the accent (almost always badly) can definitely wear thin.

For the most part I've found the accent thing can be advantageous, but maybe that's more the West Coast. The ladies definitely seem to like it, and at work somehow people seem to think I'm intelligent! I think it can depend on the accent. If you have a neutral or southern UK accent, Americans can more easily place you. But a strong regional accent and they're usually much more confused. I had a colleauge at work from Liverpool with a pretty strong scouse accent, and nobody but me could figure out what the poor bloke was saying.

One thing that does bug me; when I'm talking to someone, and then they suddenly get that look on their face of slight confusion and they just flatly spit out "You have an accent!" to which I usually respond with: 'Yes, doesn't everybody?!' It's funny how Americans don't consider their own accent as an accent at all. Bless 'em ;-)
Old Apr 30th 2006, 11:27 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Does it count if I used the word 'dummy' instead of pacifier today? As in, hubby spat his dummy out?

I was distraced. The look on their faces was ..... priceless.

And now I want you to go to Office Max and ask for some rubbers
Old Apr 30th 2006, 11:28 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Elvira
I guess there must be a reason though why I generally have my clients eating out of my hand...

I am talking about my day clients, btw
The nearest they get to eating out of your hand is grabbing their f**king prescriptions!! Who are you trying to kid.
Old Apr 30th 2006, 11:31 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
The nearest they get to eating out of your hand is grabbing their f**king prescriptions!! Who are you trying to kid.

You really think I am a Rx dispenser don't you!
Old Apr 30th 2006, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to expats Darren.
Old Apr 30th 2006, 11:39 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Never actually.

I usually I get the "I just love your accent!!!" and "Which part of England are you from?" comments.

That's if they're not wondering whether I'm from Australia or South Africa...

The only real problem I have is obtaining a glass of "water"...

Exactamundo here!

Also, 'say something' & weird stares, which still throws me, I have to keep reminding myself that it's because I'm different, I still forget sometimes & think that they're staring because I've got something on my face etc!
Old Apr 30th 2006, 11:45 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Partystar
I still forget sometimes & think that they're staring because I've got something on my face etc!
You would have if I lived in AZ
Old Apr 30th 2006, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

DarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rompers
Welcome to expats Darren.
Thanks! I wish I'd found this forum yonks ago! It would definitely have come in handy
Old Apr 30th 2006, 11:55 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
My boss occasionally takes the piss very mildly when I use a word that Americans don't - he thinks "fortnight" is vastly amusing for some reason. Strangest thing was a couple of months ago I was in a meeting when without warning a bloke on the clients side suddenly turned to me and went (and I quote) "you're a long way from home aren'tcha? I SAY JOLLY NICE WEATHER WE'RE HAVING EH WHAT FWAAH FWAAH FWAAH".

There was a couple of seconds silence while everyone just looked at him and then someone else said "er, perhaps we could move on to the next item.."
Hahaha, that one actually made me laugh out loud!!! Not from what he said, but the reaction, I imagine it as being one of those David Brent wincing moments!!! I'm glad the others saw how rude it was.
Old May 1st 2006, 12:21 am
Back where I belong!

You would have if I lived in AZ
I just knew it, I ******’ knew you were gonna comment on that one, oh you are sooo easily led my boy!!!
Old May 1st 2006, 12:30 am
Account Closed

I just knew it, I ******’ knew you were gonna comment on that one, oh you are sooo easily led my boy!!!
I was refering to you having a smile on your face. Why, what did you think I me.....you thought I meant ...oh i know what you thought. You're filthy you are.
Old May 1st 2006, 12:36 am
Back where I belong!

I was refering to you having a smile on your face. Why, what did you think I me.....you thought I meant ...oh i know what you thought. You're filthy you are.
Yeah, I'm diiirrrrrttttttyyyyyyy, I need a shower, care to join me?!?!
Old May 1st 2006, 12:37 am
Account Closed

Yeah, I'm diiirrrrrttttttyyyyyyy, I need a shower, care to join me?!?!
Only if you'll let my tongue be your bar of soap
Old May 1st 2006, 12:50 am
Guest21

How often do you get reactions like that ?[/QUOTE]

Well I posted a thread similar to this a few weeks back and yesterday I finally had it.
This stupid B...H in Wal- Mart started to mimic my accent as we waited in the never ending line to pay at the check out,and after months of holding back she got it 100% (never met her before) I just looked her in the face and said "what do you think you are doing"? she replied I can do a British accent well hey?

"The replie was you sound stupid you are insulting me and do you realise that my accent is more socially acceptable then yours will ever be?
I would never be so rude to try and mimic and accent of a person that I did not know to their face so I suggest that next time you feel like being smart think first"

I tried to say it with a smile but making sure she knew I meant business and sure enough she followed me to the car park and apologised again I actually felt sorry for the poor thing.

Old May 1st 2006, 12:52 am
Back where I belong!

Only if you'll let my tongue be your bar of soap
Oh, how could I possibly refuse?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.