Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Speak f**kin English !

Speak f**kin English !

Old Apr 30th 2006, 6:16 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Speak f**kin English !

Originally Posted by rushman
makes a change
You can thank the law of averages for that one....19778 posts
Old Apr 30th 2006, 6:20 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
You can thank the law of averages for that one....19778 posts
Still got 15,000 posts til you manage it then
Old Apr 30th 2006, 6:26 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Still got 15,000 posts til you manage it then
Some of my stuff just goes right over your head I'm afraid - i'll try to keep it simple in future
Old Apr 30th 2006, 6:27 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

i'll try to keep it simple in future
I didnt think you had the capability to do anything else
Old Apr 30th 2006, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

Crispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond repute

I get this a lot, especially with friends. Their arrogance pisses me off more than anything. If I say something that means something else here, or pronounce something different, differently here I get all this bullshit. I don't mind the routine so much, its the point they try to make that just ****s me off.
The routine:

1. WTF?
2. Laugh (at meaning or definition)
3. You say/It is this..... here
4. Say it my way a couple times
5. Give me a lecture on how I'm saying it wrong
6. Say a derogatory term towards it

Has to be my biggest annoyance here. They cannot just accept the fact I pronounce/say something different and get over it. Instead go through all the steps (above) in their own ignorance just to make out some way that they are right. It all sways towards the fact, that they are some how superior? Just because I'm out numbered by a bunch of ****ing idiots who all say it the same way?

I'm glad I only have to be subjected to this for a couple more months. They are my friends and are usually only joking - not intending to offend - and I usually don't get at all bothered by it; my overall annoyance is the fact I've been here almost 3 years and I still get this.

There was an American kid at my old school at first everyone was kind of curious and asked a few questions and had a mess about with his accent, which is all fair game. After a week... nobody cared he was just another person and was treated no differently from anyone else. Was never questioned, corrected if he said/did something American. It was an overall acceptance, I don't get why a foreigner is such a huge thing to get excited about?
Old Apr 30th 2006, 6:41 pm
Thinking about it

I didnt think you had the capability to do anything else
I am a man of hidden depths - just ask your bread knife
Old Apr 30th 2006, 6:51 pm
Account Closed

I am a man of hidden depths - just ask your bread knife
(FFS At least get it right if you are going to try the rhyming slang.)

As opposed to you spending most nights tucked up in bed with Mrs. Palm and her 5 lovely daughters
Attached Images  
Old Apr 30th 2006, 6:54 pm
Thinking about it

(FFS At least get it right if you are going to try the rhyming slang.)

As opposed to you spending most nights tucked up in bed with Mrs. Palm and her 5 lovely daughters
I cracked the palm joke at someone here the other day - some of us are born to be leaders, some followers.

Now if you don't mind i have an appointment with the real madrid match and some heineken. That should give you about 2 hours to come up with a witty riposte.
Good luck
Old Apr 30th 2006, 6:57 pm
Account Closed

I cracked the palm joke at someone here the other day - some of us are born to be leaders, some followers.

Now if you don't mind i have an appointment with the real madrid match and some heineken. That should give you about 2 hours to come up with a witty riposte.
Good luck
I'll have a word with "Ivor Biggun" then, seems you've been nicking his material.

Which will make a nice change from you nipping over garden fences and nicking a more "lacey" material off of washing lines I suppose.
Old Apr 30th 2006, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond repute

Some of the Americans I work with find it hilarious to try and impersonate a British accent which invariably sounds ridiculous and makes me wince.
Old Apr 30th 2006, 8:12 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Rompers
Some of the Americans I work with find it hilarious to try and impersonate a British accent which invariably sounds ridiculous and makes me wince.
My BIL does it and I wince too. Sounds like an Irish Pakistani from Berlin.
Old Apr 30th 2006, 8:26 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rompers
My boss occasionally takes the piss very mildly when I use a word that Americans don't - he thinks "fortnight" is vastly amusing for some reason. Strangest thing was a couple of months ago I was in a meeting when without warning a bloke on the clients side suddenly turned to me and went (and I quote) "you're a long way from home aren'tcha? I SAY JOLLY NICE WEATHER WE'RE HAVING EH WHAT FWAAH FWAAH FWAAH".

There was a couple of seconds silence while everyone just looked at him and then someone else said "er, perhaps we could move on to the next item.."
Old Apr 30th 2006, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond repute

Its funny. If you were at a meeting in the UK with an American at the table and you suddenly came out with "wheel howdy pardner, how ya'll doin" you would (rightly) expect to get your face smashed in.
Old Apr 30th 2006, 8:39 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
My boss occasionally takes the piss very mildly when I use a word that Americans don't - he thinks "fortnight" is vastly amusing for some reason. Strangest thing was a couple of months ago I was in a meeting when without warning a bloke on the clients side suddenly turned to me and went (and I quote) "you're a long way from home aren'tcha? I SAY JOLLY NICE WEATHER WE'RE HAVING EH WHAT FWAAH FWAAH FWAAH".

There was a couple of seconds silence while everyone just looked at him and then someone else said "er, perhaps we could move on to the next item.."

Hm.

IME embarrassing "a bloke on the clients' side" is rarely I good idea He may have been a twat, but he who pays the piper...
Old Apr 30th 2006, 8:42 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Hm.

IME embarrassing "a bloke on the clients' side" is rarely I good idea He may have been a twat, but he who pays the piper...
I thought he did a pretty good job of embarrassing himself. I didn't respond in any way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.