Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Should forgeiners be made to learn basic English?

Should forgeiners be made to learn basic English?

Old Mar 28th 2005, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Should foreigner's be made to learn basic English?

The other night at work I had a customer who had a problem with a return (exchange) she could not speak a word of english and was using her 6 maybe 7 year old grand daughter to interpret for her... I tried always to get the little girl to understand and explain but she just didn't seem to get it, in the end the grandmother got really upset me... there was nothing I could do.

This is not the first time either it has happened lots... I have had other customers do the same thing... one had been here at least four years (I know because we have the issue date on our store credit cards) and she was using her son to interpret.

If someone is going to live in the US for that long don't ya think they should have to learn at least some basic English?.

Ash

Last edited by Ash UK/US; Mar 28th 2005 at 7:30 pm.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

bionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Should forgeiners be made to learn basic English?

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
The other night at work I had a customer who had a problem with a return (exchange) she could not speak a word of english and was using her 6 maybe 7 year old grand daughter to interpret for her... I tried always to get the little girl to understand and explain but she just didn't seem to get it, in the end the grandmother got really upset me... there was nothing I could do.

This is not the first time either it has happened lots... I have had other customers do the same thing... one had been here at least four years (I know because we have the issue date on our store credit cards) and she was using her son to interpret.

If someone is going to live in the US for that long don't ya think they should have to learn at least some basic English?.

Ash
Well, I'd certainly feel a lot more secure if I were a foreigner and knew how to communicate, but, I would tend to think that far more foreigners speak English than the reverse.

Cool! The site just changed and the posting panel is much more user-friendly! Whichever "goblin" is responsible for this upgrade- Good job!
Old Mar 28th 2005, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Ash
Do not expect them to spell as well.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 7:29 pm
ImHere

Im a foreigner and I speak perfect English.

Old Mar 28th 2005, 7:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
Me to.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony126
Do not expect them to spell as well.

Ash
Old Mar 28th 2005, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ImHere
Yeap but if ya didn't would you learn English (or American )

Ash
Old Mar 28th 2005, 7:36 pm
Blindside Fumbler

Tone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of light

When looking to buy my 1st car here I was asked by a car salesman if I could read English.

He didn't get the sale.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 7:37 pm
ImHere

Yeap but if ya didn't would you learn English (or American )

Ash

Yeah, I would. But im learning Spanish at the moment. Thats pretty much a requirement where I live.

ImHere

Originally Posted by Tone
When looking to buy my 1st car here I was asked by a car salesman if I could read English.

He didn't get the sale.
Well? Could you?

Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should foreigner's be made to learn basic English?

Ash
Yes, it's the individual's loss if they don't learn to at least speak English. Then again, there's millions of American born Americans who are illiterate too.

NC Penguin
Old Mar 28th 2005, 7:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Ain't there a spanish desk you can transfer them to? Where the missus works, there is, and that's where they transfer some of the arseholes who call up, by accident of course *lol*
Old Mar 28th 2005, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

UJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant future

Ash
Always dislike agreeing with this statement, as it seems to be the same stance that isolationist right wingers seem to take! But I have to agree - I think they really should make a point to learn English. Even if in their community another language is widely spoken, they are bound to come in to contact with people that do not speak it, especially in the case of anything governmental.

Terrifies me to even just to go on vacation to a country where another language is spoken, nevermind living there!
Old Mar 28th 2005, 7:39 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Ash
Just as the British Empire learnt Boer / Farsi / Chinese / Aborigini / Kalahari / Apache Indian as we went along.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 7:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I would. I would find not being able to communicate very frustrating; I'm definitely going to learn Spanish when I move to Florida.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.