Wikiposts

Sandy

Old Nov 2nd 2012, 10:45 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sandy

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Now the confirmed death total is 95. More bodies have been discovered in the horrific Staten Island wreckage, including two little boys, one a toddler, swept out of their mother's grasp in the storm surge as she tried to escape to safety.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012...rms-found?lite
Thanks for posting the link. It has been easy for me on the other side of the country to not quite perceive the damage that has been done.
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 11:07 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Dreadful

Has anyone seen any coverage of the situation in other countries affected? There has been zilch on CNN.
Online, yeah, a few countries got mullered, but nothing on the mainstage US press.
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Dreadful

Has anyone seen any coverage of the situation in other countries affected? There has been zilch on CNN.
I saw an article on the guardian website I think about it affecting Haiti, the trouble is the situation is so bad there to start with. It's almost a case of "can you tell the difference"?
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
NYC marathon has been cancelled :/
I think after this quote
"The city of New York right now is talking about getting water out of the Battery Tunnel and preparing for a marathon," U.S. Rep. Rep. Michael Grimm said. "We're pulling bodies out of the water. You see the disconnect here?"
its difficult to say anything except it's the right decision.

The humming and hawing and timing around it has not been good though.
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 11:53 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom
I think after this quoteits difficult to say anything except it's the right decision.

The humming and hawing and timing around it has not been good though.
I don't think so. Postponing for a couple of days yes, but cancelling it, that's just political grandstanding.

All those politicians up in arms about the event. They didn't give a shit about Staten Island before Sandy, the marathon wasn't even on their radar, but it gets them on the tele now when nothing else would.

There's a lot of money from the marathon that would have gone to the areas affected by this, that they now won't get.
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 12:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom
I saw an article on the guardian website I think about it affecting Haiti, the trouble is the situation is so bad there to start with. It's almost a case of "can you tell the difference"?
Might be nice to at least mention it here.
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 12:46 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Not sure if this is appropriate or not however, al least there are some smiles coming out of the disaster. this is from Facebook..

There's a new cocktail getting very popular, called a Sandy, it's a watered down version of a Manhattan
Humour is a coping mechanism, some people do find it inappropriate, but as a worker on the frontline of disaster response in Australia I can assure you without a sense of humour most of my colleagues would find it hard to keep going during cyclones and hurricanes.

Some desperately sad stories coming out of this; I'm used to seeing cyclone destruction in north Queensland, but to see somewhere like New York, out of the tropics, hit like this should be a wake up call for a lot of urban areas - Brisbane included. Haiti and Cuba have largely been overlooked I think because they are hit every season, they are in a hurricane area, and the devastation while horrific, is almost expected.

On a professional level I'm interested to see how much FEMA have learnt and improved since Katrina.......and with reports from places like Staten island saying that they have had no help offered yet its not looking good.
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 1:12 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

New York Times today had death totals for the US, Canada, and the Caribbean:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/02/ny..._20121102&_r=0

In all, the death toll from the storm in the United States and Canada reached 95, with 48 deaths in New York State, 40 of them in the city. Twelve deaths have been reported in New Jersey and four in Connecticut. The storm also killed at least 69 people in the Caribbean before it whipped toward the Northeast, including at least 54 in Haiti and 11 in Cuba.
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

Staying in midtown Manhattan and saw literally hundreds of marathon competitors of all nationalities checking in at our hotel earlier. Walking through the lobby just now, I saw lots of disappointed looking people The reason I am in NYC is pre-Sandy booked weekend away including Theater tickets. Had to queue for petrol last night to get to the ferry port and for DH to get to airport on Monday.
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 2:27 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Breathing sighs of relief -- our power came on just before 8 am this morning! With the forecast for it to get colder, I'm a very happy person! So now I can see the images of what happened on Staten Island and the Jersey Shore -- makes being cold for a few days pale in comparison. Those poor, poor people.

I noted a conversation that has been going on in this thread re generators. This is the third long outage we've had in the space of 12 months, but each time we figure that it won't happen again for a long time, and a generator isn't worth it. If this weird weather is becoming a pattern, perhaps we need to rethink things.
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 2:44 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

We don't have that many outages here but we bought a generator from Gumtree for a couple of hundred bucks. The husband put in extra power sockets and lights that only run off the generator, so when the power does go out we have vague lighting, the tv, internet and fridgefreezer work once the plugs have been switched over. The amount we've saved simply by not having to throw out and replace the contents of the FF a few times has paid for the generator. It's a worthwhile expense imo.
Old Nov 4th 2012, 1:09 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of photos from the Washington Post.

Before and after shots:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...rricane-sandy/

Destruction & recovery efforts (annoying short ad first, but then you can click on the images):
http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...4_gallery.html
Old Nov 4th 2012, 3:11 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Breathing sighs of relief -- our power came on just before 8 am this morning! With the forecast for it to get colder, I'm a very happy person! So now I can see the images of what happened on Staten Island and the Jersey Shore -- makes being cold for a few days pale in comparison. Those poor, poor people.

I noted a conversation that has been going on in this thread re generators. This is the third long outage we've had in the space of 12 months, but each time we figure that it won't happen again for a long time, and a generator isn't worth it. If this weird weather is becoming a pattern, perhaps we need to rethink things.
The best way to stop these outages is to buy the generator and keep it maintained and ready. As long as you do this, you won't need to use it.
Old Nov 4th 2012, 3:15 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Nutmegger

One of those things that might be worth getting, but not when in a bind.

The folks were able to get a decent deal on theirs because they got it on sale, in the summer, during a clearance getting a previous years model and were already building a garage and wood shed, so able to get a discount on it. It still cost a couple grand, getting the gas fed into it from the gas tank/heater system but the rest of the cost was split with wiring up the garage anyway so wasn't a significant extra. It's a back up and kicks in witin a few seconds of a power outtage.

It's a bit over kill tbh, but it's so much better of a generator than what they could have gotten during the winter when they were a huge shortage as everyone was buying one during the storms.

It's pretty much paid for itself on savings of what the folks have had to throw out in food previously after just a few power cuts and now the old dear across the street has moved, the area is no longer a primary priority for power fixes any more.
Old Nov 4th 2012, 4:01 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
The best way to stop these outages is to buy the generator and keep it maintained and ready. As long as you do this, you won't need to use it.
LOL -- working on the same principle, the other thing I need to do is stop buying this really expensive fresh refrigerated curry sauce to freeze when it goes on sale. Every time I stock up on it -- ta da! three weeks later the power goes and I either lose the sauces or have to have them every night for a week or so to use them up!

But I never keep that much food in the freezer that the losses would enable a generator to pay for itself in this lifetime.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.