Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Rude Restaurant Manners

Rude Restaurant Manners

Old Oct 19th 2005, 7:54 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Rude Restaurant Manners

Originally Posted by Mick Travis
The only thing I miss is the plethora of great Indian. I miss Brick Lane. But the sushi is better, the produce is fresher, and the price is right.

In London it would cost us (me and the wife) about 40 quid to get a non-spectacular meal. Here we can eat the best sushi you've ever had in your life at Matsuhisa or Nobu for 100 bucks. I ate a comparable meal at Nobu in London and the price was 420 pounds. Let's call that 800 bucks, for exactly the same food I paid 100 dollars for here (the menus are the same.)

I've worked damn hard for the money I make and the position I have (producer) (2 degrees, many years of crap pay) and I would rather be rich in the US than anywhere else in the world. Health care costs me zero (my job covers it) and I could afford it even without insurance. I realize my case is far from standard but I'd be lying if I said I didn't love it here.

I'm not that young, by the way - 39. But I am healthy.

Well thats London for you. We had a fantastic Japanese resturant near us (in yorkshire) where you could get freshly made sushi and ramen etc for around 10 quid a head...and leave so full you could hardly walk. I could name a dozen excellent resturants near where we lived serving all sorts of freshly made food and never paid more than 20 quid a head including drinks.

Anyway going by what you said you've found the American Dream so good on you. Unfortunately there are millions upon millions that havent and never will. They key phrase you said there was "rather be rich in the USA". I most certainly wouldnt want to be poor in the USA.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 7:55 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Thanks for that. I've read that and now im gagging for a good old Full English and a decent pint of best.

I actually think our food (in Britain) is better quality, more naturally flavoursome and much less fattening yet more satisfying. I love to cook and good quality raw ingredients here seem harder to come by.
There appears to be a bigger range of organic products over here, though, but I never paid that much attention to organic stuff in the UK so I could be wrong.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

Mick Travis has a brilliant futureMick Travis has a brilliant futureMick Travis has a brilliant futureMick Travis has a brilliant futureMick Travis has a brilliant futureMick Travis has a brilliant future

Thanks for that. I've read that and now im gagging for a good old Full English and a decent pint of best.

I actually think our food (in Britain) is better quality, more naturally flavoursome and much less fattening yet more satisfying. I love to cook and good quality raw ingredients here seem harder to come by.
I'm going to have to backpedal a bit here. Things I miss:

Lamb. Good lamb. Mmmmmm.
Butter. Unless you buy imported here it's just not the same.
The Borough Market in London. Quite simply the best market I've ever seen.
Cheddar.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 7:57 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

I'm going to have to backpedal a bit here. Things I miss:

Lamb. Good lamb. Mmmmmm.
Butter. Unless you buy imported here it's just not the same.
The Borough Market in London. Quite simply the best market I've ever seen.
Cheddar.
I mentioned on another thread you can get Aussie lamb at publix but it aint cheap at $30 for a leg of.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 7:58 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Wintersong
There appears to be a bigger range of organic products over here, though, but I never paid that much attention to organic stuff in the UK so I could be wrong.
Its about the same. We used to buy organic from Sainsburys, here we get it from Wholefoods and the selection is similar.

What I have trouble with is wheat and dairy free produce that isnt astronomically priced and things that dont contain bloody High Fructose Corn Syrup by the bucket load.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

I mentioned on another thread you can get Aussie lamb at publix but it aint cheap at $30 for a leg of.
I also mentioned on the same thread that I buy NZ boneless leg of lamb from Sam's Club and it only costs about $16.00.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

Mick Travis has a brilliant futureMick Travis has a brilliant futureMick Travis has a brilliant futureMick Travis has a brilliant futureMick Travis has a brilliant futureMick Travis has a brilliant future

Well thats London for you. We had a fantastic Japanese resturant near us (in yorkshire) where you could get freshly made sushi and ramen etc for around 10 quid a head...and leave so full you could hardly walk. I could name a dozen excellent resturants near where we lived serving all sorts of freshly made food and never paid more than 20 quid a head including drinks.

Anyway going by what you said you've found the American Dream so good on you. Unfortunately there are millions upon millions that havent and never will. They key phrase you said there was "rather be rich in the USA". I most certainly wouldnt want to be poor in the USA.
You're right. I spent a lot of time out of London and the food was much more reasonable.

And yes, I wouldn't want to be poor here. The thought of living paycheque to paycheque here gives me nightmares. I did it in London for years and was pretty comfortable. Then again, when my wife smashed my head in with a squash racket (WE WERE PLAYING SQUASH, AND IT WAS AN ACCIDENT) I just walked across the street to Guy's Hospital and had it stitched up - no paperwork, no cost, no fuss, 15 minutes.

It's not like that here.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 8:00 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mandpete
I also mentioned on the same thread that I buy NZ boneless leg of lamb from Sam's Club and it only costs about $16.00.
Aye. Unfortunately we have no Sams Club near here so I have to fork out Publix Prices at the moment.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 8:03 pm
Account Closed

You're right. I spent a lot of time out of London and the food was much more reasonable.

And yes, I wouldn't want to be poor here. The thought of living paycheque to paycheque here gives me nightmares. I did it in London for years and was pretty comfortable. Then again, when my wife smashed my head in with a squash racket (WE WERE PLAYING SQUASH, AND IT WAS AN ACCIDENT) I just walked across the street to Guy's Hospital and had it stitched up - no paperwork, no cost, no fuss, 15 minutes.

It's not like that here.

We have things here we would never had in the UK - big house on land, more disposable income, that kind of thing - and for now are enjoying it and making the most. (We're similar ages as you). We have both said there is no way we would retire here though.

PS We believe you about the squash "accident". Honest.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 8:03 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not that young, by the way - 39. But I am healthy.
And that's why you're still rich.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 8:04 pm
Lurk Lurk Lurk

tinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of light

Why don't many canned food manufacturers put sell-by dates on their cans? I was cleaning out a cupboard the other day and found several tins with no date, so I have to guess whether they're still any good?
Old Oct 19th 2005, 8:05 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I saw an article today that said that the average amount of money a 65 year old couple retiring in the USA will need to cover out of pocket medical costs on top of health insurance premiums is....$190,000! Now thats bloody scary.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 8:07 pm
Lurk Lurk Lurk

tinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of light

I saw an article today that said that the average amount of money a 65 year old couple retiring in the USA will need to cover out of pocket medical costs on top of health insurance premiums is....$190,000! Now thats bloody scary.
Erk. Better up that 401k again.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Quite possibly. But I save. And I save. And I save some more.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 8:11 pm
Account Closed

Quite possibly. But I save. And I save. And I save some more.
Keep saving if you do plan to retire here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.