Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Roundabouts in the US

Roundabouts in the US

Old Aug 16th 2013, 3:41 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roundabouts in the US

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Of course, if you're in Joisey, it's still the turnpike, though no early weapons have been spotted there lately!
It's only a matter of time ...
Old Aug 16th 2013, 4:27 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

We have a few but one of the largest (so probably easiest to navigate?) had it's 'yield' signs changed to 'stop' ones!
Old Aug 16th 2013, 4:32 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sheepdip
We have a few but one of the largest (so probably easiest to navigate?) had it's 'yield' signs changed to 'stop' ones!
That rather defeats the purpose of having the roundabout in the first place, doesn't it?
Old Aug 16th 2013, 4:48 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sheepdip
Only a matter of time before some bright spark decides to put toll booths at each entrance....
Old Aug 16th 2013, 4:49 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Xebedee
Only a matter of time before some bright spark decides to put toll booths at each entrance....
Well if they weren't thinking about it before, I'm sure the NSA will let them know after they read that post.
Old Aug 17th 2013, 5:22 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
That rather defeats the purpose of having the roundabout in the first place, doesn't it?
absolutely but they just don't seem to get the priority from the left idea of the roundabout!
Old Aug 17th 2013, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

Sassyjaybabe is just really niceSassyjaybabe is just really niceSassyjaybabe is just really niceSassyjaybabe is just really niceSassyjaybabe is just really niceSassyjaybabe is just really niceSassyjaybabe is just really niceSassyjaybabe is just really niceSassyjaybabe is just really nice

I have found a few here, they don't like them, there was an article in a local magazine about them too!

Saying that I never drove in the UK so I was a bit rusty on how to use them (I had lessons but never passed a test back there).
Old Aug 17th 2013, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond repute

For the most part, Americans are OK with them. However, don't get lulled into a false sense of security that some damnedfool will not notice the "Yield to traffic in the circle" signs and just go swanning on through.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 5:52 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
I really can't understand why the Americans have not taken to the use of roundabouts on their highways
Because they cost more to build than a four-way intersection with traffic lights strung across. And the US has way more roads than the UK does. And municipalities usually have to raise the money themselves, which is hard to get over at a council meeting.

I posted it on here before ages ago, I actually have a letter from the DFT saying that the official reason the UK hasn't switched to metric road signs is because of the cost compared to Canada. This was after I asked why they couldn't follow Australia and Canada (because as soon as you mention anywhere in Europe they go into euronutty mode). Also because it would "confuse old people". And people have been taught miles->km conversion in school. I can't make this stuff up.

So confusing old people about converting everything else to metric was perfectly okay apparently, and the UK has more speed limit signs per capita than Canada or Australia? Really?

Anyway I wouldn't take too much notice of what they do in the UK, they're bonkers. Covering a small island in roads and then choking them with traffic being a key indicator.

I always think there must be a happy medium, not so many traffic lights but not too many roundabouts. They do slowly seem to be moving in that direction in Canada and the US now. But in the UK they've decided to surround all the roundabouts with traffic lights. Wonderful.
Old Aug 25th 2013, 11:55 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
Yep we had a car in the middle of our roundabout a few weeks backs on a tree, yes on a tree. Can only imagine that they tried to make a left at the roundabout exit instead of going round, saw traffic coming at them and panicked.

P.S. my tom tom says it's a rotunda!
addendum:
Attached Thumbnails Roundabouts in the US-dscn5733.jpg  
Old Aug 26th 2013, 2:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
I really can't understand why the Americans have not taken to the use of roundabouts on their highways as they definitely help to make the traffic flow much more freely without the need for trafiic lights which, of course, mean holdups.

So many Americans driving over here in the UK seem to be more wound up or at least a bit wary about roundabouts than they do about driving on the (sensible) side of the road they are not used to. Until the 18th/19th centuries everybody everywhere driving a cart or a carriage or riding a horse
kept to the left for practical reasons, except perhaps for left handed people, a minority group.

Then along came to dictators - Napolean and Hitler - and changed it all for reasons best known to them.

Why the bother about roundabouts as long as they aware of lane discipline, know theire and can follow the signs to their ultimate destinations. Easy peasy.

I'd really like to see an American driving around the metropolitan morass that is Milton Keynes - a roundabout virtually every 250m along every road and street in the city.

Here in this part of England, as in many other places, roundabouts have their own names - eg the Cherry Tree Roundabout, and most are ablaze with floral displays and shrubs of all kinds which people (most passengers of course) can admire as they negotiate the circle.

Named roubdabouts are perfect for identification purposes in respct of location finding.

Tell the Yanks to get real on this one.
I prefer roundabouts. When I first started driving in the UK, they were the easiest, for me, to get used to, however the very small roads were not.

I'd prefer a roundabout any day over a four way stop!
Old Aug 26th 2013, 2:30 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I prefer roundabouts. ...... I'd prefer a roundabout any day over a four way stop!
You're just not a real American, are you?
Old Aug 26th 2013, 2:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Last night I found another roundabout under construction!
Old Aug 26th 2013, 2:36 pm
I have a comma problem

We went on our new roundabout twice on Saturday afternoon. I was quite impressed that everyone was using it properly, giving way to traffic in the circle and nobody was waiting more than a few seconds to slot in.

Had the original 4-way stop still be in place it would not have flowed anywhere near as nicely.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 2:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You're just not a real American, are you?
I suspect there are more out there like me...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.