Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Roundabouts in the US

Roundabouts in the US

Old Aug 14th 2013, 3:45 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roundabouts in the US

Originally Posted by Bootle
Are they replacing lighted intersections or the four way stop sign? Let's hope with the American experience on four way stop signs they use the roundabouts better than most other countries who seem to ignore to the give way to traffic in the roundabout and go straight to the give way to traffic on the left.
Both, around here. The one due to be finshed tomorrow is replacing a stop but others are replacing traffic lights.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 3:46 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

This is a fun one near us. Guaranteed to cause confusion to drivers not familiar with it.
Attached Thumbnails Roundabouts in the US-roundabout2.jpg  
Old Aug 14th 2013, 3:49 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

It used to be a nightmare on cape cod, all the tourists would come and none of them knew how to use a roundabout. Some of them had no idea that even had to yield to traffic already on the roundabout.

Funny enough when i went back to Enland I noticed that the larger roundabouts now have several sets of traffic lights all the way around.
It just ads to the frustrating stop start weaving in and out driving experience in the UK.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 3:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

We have a few in the area and a new one built in town... Thing is, the sign says there are two lanes going into it but they never built the second lane.

Had one guy not look and drive straight through and almost hit me and I've seen a 18 wheeler go around the wrong way along with someone else.

Town is also widening another across town, which doesn't need it as it isn't that busy, but they really should have put on else where, but they replaced the lights with more lights and it's a bigger mess now than before.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 3:56 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
They're common in the northeast US--rotaries. Lots of old ones around. The town we used to live in had a great big oval one leading off the motorway heading downtown. You could tell who lived in the town by how fast they went through that oval--strangers crept along so hesitantly they'd nearly cause accidents.
The one and only one that I knew about in the Westchester area was done away with 40 years ago because of the numerous accidents on it. It was called the Hawthorne circle and I would go out of my way to avoid having to use it.

Would I use a circle if I needed to? Of course. I have used them on trips to Vegas and on trips in Massachusetts. I can't see the aged using them, however. Takes too much coordination and quick reflexes to use them correctly.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 4:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
..... Takes too much coordination and quick reflexes to use them correctly.
If a four-way-yield (for that is what a roundabout effectively is), is too difficult, then they shouldn't be on the dämn road!
Old Aug 14th 2013, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

Homeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond repute

We have a few roundabouts in Vegas, at least 6 where I live.

So far I've had people stop on their way round to let me join.

One person did a U turn on the roundabout (not as in going all the way round)

I've also had cars just pull straight on without stopping in front of me.

Finally, as I was going straight on at a roundabout a person pulled on from my right (my right of way) and tried to cross my lane. He just missed me and beeped really angry. The scary part was I don't think he realized he was in the wrong.

Oh yes and the driving test here in NV has nothing to do with roundabouts in it.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xebedee

Ok, lets see the Yanks deal with the famous "Magic Roundabout"
I used to drive through that thing twice a day for 5 years. We have a fair few roundabouts here in Bend. Some of them have been in place for 10+ years. The tourists seem to cope with them but the locals are hopeless. It's either a case of them stopping, even if the roundabout is clear, or barreling onto it without even a pause, even if there's traffic on it. Some of the people I know are of the belief that traffic entering the roundabout has the right of way, regardless of what the Oregon DMV manual says. Even the French gave that up as a bad job.
The other one that drives me up the wall are people who indicate right, when they are actually going to the 2nd or 3rd exit. Of course, no bugger actually signals when they're leaving the roundabout.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 4:32 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cluedweasel
Some of the people I know are of the belief that traffic entering the roundabout has the right of way, regardless of what the Oregon DMV manual says. Even the French gave that up as a bad job.
Perhaps it would help if they posted these signs in your area:

(Are these aforementioned clueless Oregonians unaware of the meaning of a yield sign?)

Last edited by RoadWarriorFromLP; Aug 14th 2013 at 4:35 pm.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 4:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
Perhaps it would help if they posted these signs in your area:

https://sphotos-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/h...53606324_n.jpg

(Are these aforementioned clueless Oregonians unaware of the meaning of a yield sign?)
It could be that they're so used to Stop signs everywhere, the concept of yielding gets them confused.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

The clever road designers in Anchorage managed to come up with this, which doesn't seem too bad when you look at it on a map. However each of the roundabouts are too tight for a semi to navigate them without taking up 2 lanes or riding up over the kerb. The best part of this is it is the closest outlet from a large industrial area to the Seward Hwy (Alaska's main arterial route north and south) and approximately half the trucks are doubles i.e. they have trailers.
Its a nightmare, my husband refused to use the interchange due to the high rate of accidents which were apparent by the pieces of car left all over the road.
Attached Thumbnails Roundabouts in the US-dowling.png  
Old Aug 14th 2013, 5:11 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
We are just back from Sedona, AZ where they have a whole bunch of them going into and through the town. We loved them but saw plenty of hesitant, confused drivers on them and not an indicator light to be seen.
Mmm, seen lots of: "Oh look at that, isn't it lovely, AAAAGGGGHHH" expressions on drivers in Sedona.

What frightens me is when people take shortcuts at roundabouts, i.e. they should come off at say, the third exit so they drive around it the wrong way to get to it faster.

I remember when they put the roundabout in on 37th St SW, first day I saw a pickup marooned on it with a collapsed front suspension, couple of days later, a car with a smashed front end, tried to drive over it I assume.

They are slowly becoming more common in the US and Canada so people are slowly starting to get the hang of them.

Europe - not enough traffic lights. North America - not enough roundabouts. Nothing gets on my nerves more than driving down a quiet road and having to stop at half a dozen sets of traffic lights for no apparent reason.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 5:15 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan Alaska
The clever road designers in Anchorage managed to come up with this,
Have a look at a map of Blaine, Washington, look at the roundabouts at the first on-ramp south of the 49th parallel. Then imagine a semi getting stuck going around it. They're supposed to come off and go up the truck route on Highway 15 and of course everyone always follows that law to the letter.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 5:21 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

There are a couple of them in our neck of the woods and I still hesitate because I observe far too many folk bombing through without understanding when to yield. One day they may get it right.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 5:26 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by Homeiswheretheheartis
Oh yes and the driving test here in NV has nothing to do with roundabouts in it.
Watch the video! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pke54GzMSjo

I like the bit about pedestrians and cyclists in that video. I always think it's mad that pedestrians can cross and block traffic coming off the island.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.