Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Roundabouts in the US

Roundabouts in the US

Old Aug 27th 2013, 6:02 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roundabouts in the US

Originally Posted by Steve_
Apparently the rural west is the most dangerous for car accidents, people drive off the road and it can be days before they're found.
That happens round here too, at least a little, we average one or two cases a year. Last year two teenagers headed off to the beach in the middle of the night, veered into the interstate median, went between twin bridges and into the river. It was several weeks before they were found. A prominent business man came off at an intersection and headed into some bushes a couple of years ago, and was found several days later, and a Walmart cashier drove off the road and a couple of hundred feet down into a ravine at night, and was missing for a couple of months before they found her.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 7:24 pm
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

I was born and raised in Swindon (land of the roundabouts) so the "Magic Roundabout" was as easy to navigate as breathing for me.

So now when I hit a roundabout here, I drive like I did at home. My wife will give me the look and mutter "you're not at home now hon, you are scaring all the other drivers"
Old Aug 27th 2013, 7:36 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

They have had one between Concord, NH and Durham, NH for at least 40 years.............
Old Aug 29th 2013, 3:51 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That happens round here too, at least a little, we average one or two cases a year. Last year two teenagers headed off to the beach in the middle of the night, veered into the interstate median, went between twin bridges and into the river. It was several weeks before they were found. A prominent business man came off at an intersection and headed into some bushes a couple of years ago, and was found several days later, and a Walmart cashier drove off the road and a couple of hundred feet down into a ravine at night, and was missing for a couple of months before they found her.
The most bizarre thing we had happened several years ago near where I used to work. Two guys who worked at the nearby Gulfstream manufacturing facility, took off as per usual on their motorcycles for their dinner break. Apparently they were racing or something and missed a curve and went into a marsh pond together. Found about 3 days later..........
Old Aug 29th 2013, 3:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
We've had that happen here as well...
Old Aug 29th 2013, 3:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
We've had that happen here as well...
I was talking a few years ago with a friend who lives in Florida, and he said that what happens with trees in NC, happens with ditches and drainage canals in Florida. The results are usually the same.