Relocating

Old Jun 6th 2010, 10:03 am
Banned

wle3000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Relocating

The U.S. economy the strongest, but also a high degree of concern in the region - New York City, the city's great economic vitality and strength.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 4:06 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

The classic example is someone like me, who could spend almost all of their working life in the US, pay almost all of my taxes here, and then retire back to the UK. Sure, I would be paying some taxes in the UK, but hardly enough to pay for the level of healthcare the typical retiree is likely to need. Meanwhile, in such an eventuality, all the Medicare taxes I've paid over my working life would essentially become a free gift to the US government.
Right, but my original point still stands. If they changed the system and made it so you couldn't do that, people in Britain would have to be OK with the fact that when you came back home, you had no health care. Your family would have to accept that you couldn't get care when you needed it.

They would also have to be OK with the new immigrant who finds he has cancer being refused treatment. They would, quite literally, have to be OK with people dying for lack of health care while living in Britain. Who knows ... Americans seem to be fine with the idea. They just block it out I guess. But I somehow feel the British wouldn't accept it - not after all these years of having such a fantastic system.

Brits don't pay more tax than Americans when you take into account state taxes, sales tax and property tax. In actual fact they pay less and yet what they get for it is so much more. If money is tight, I hope they raise taxes rather than become the kind of country America is.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

srefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Brits don't pay more tax than Americans when you take into account state taxes, sales tax and property tax. In actual fact they pay less and yet what they get for it is so much more. If money is tight, I hope they raise taxes rather than become the kind of country America is.
Really?

I have not yet moved to the US, so maybe I will find this the case, but my initial research makes me think this is not the case.

*Edit - Actually, I have a question on this. Do you mean more in absolute terms, or more in percentage terms? *

Last edited by srefre; Jun 6th 2010 at 4:14 pm. Reason: Added extra line.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 4:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by srefre
Really?

I have not yet moved to the US, so maybe I will find this the case, but my initial research makes me think this is not the case.

*Edit - Actually, I have a question on this. Do you mean more in absolute terms, or more in percentage terms? *
Level of tax really depends on where you live, what you earn etc.

Reality is, it is about the same, they just hide it better in the US.

You also generally have to pay far more for healthcare in the US via more expensive medical insurance premiums, something people in the US don't count as an expense.

Also more expensive over all for self employed in the US than the UK.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 4:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

They would also have to be OK with the new immigrant who finds he has cancer being refused treatment. They would, quite literally, have to be OK with people dying for lack of health care while living in Britain. Who knows ... Americans seem to be fine with the idea. They just block it out I guess. But I somehow feel the British wouldn't accept it - not after all these years of having such a fantastic system.
Americans seem to justify it by saying that someone without adequate health insurance is not working hard enough, therefore deserves what they (don't) get. Health cover is a status symbol which those who have it don't want to see given to just anyone.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 5:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

The UK system is pretty crap and unsustainable.

It only looks good compared to the US.

PS Both the UK and US have a system for not being refused treatment at Hospitals, something that is bankrupting both.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 6:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Really?

The amount the US takes in tax (be it federal, state, local etc) is about 7% lower share of GDP than the UK according to the Economist. Of course, this whole difference and more is made up for in terms of the cost of healthcare (16% of GDP versus about 9% in the UK).
Old Jun 6th 2010, 6:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Right, but my original point still stands. If they changed the system and made it so you couldn't do that, people in Britain would have to be OK with the fact that when you came back home, you had no health care. Your family would have to accept that you couldn't get care when you needed it.
Not if healthcare was means tested for newly-arrived residents for a period of time
Old Jun 6th 2010, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

srefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
The amount the US takes in tax (be it federal, state, local etc) is about 7% lower share of GDP than the UK according to the Economist. Of course, this whole difference and more is made up for in terms of the cost of healthcare (16% of GDP versus about 9% in the UK).
The US also has a higher GDP per capita than the UK, about 34% more.

So it seems in the US, you will pay less actual tax on more money, but then spend a load of your 'own money' on healthcare. Assuming you are Mr or Mrs Average of course.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 7:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The US also has a higher GDP per capita than the UK, about 34% more.

So it seems in the US, you will pay less actual tax on more money, but then spend a load of your 'own money' on healthcare. Assuming you are Mr or Mrs Average of course.
And additionally without the security that a single-payer healthcare system brings.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 11:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

Right about tax - US taxes are far higher than many people realize. Fact is all this mess is because most of the West are running deficits that are just unsustainable and sooner or later this music will stop. I think that time is now.