Relocating

Old May 30th 2010, 7:23 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocating

Originally Posted by Dai Cooder
Lansbury demonstrated that it is possible for a guy who's taken early retirement and in good health, to be able to obtain health cover and the costs of his cover. - and you will see from my original posting, that that was my concern at this stage.
The retired UK citizen in this household can't afford lansbury's kind of health cover.
He got in via marriage too.

The point is not you applying for the visa, it's knowing whether there is even a visa type available for you. A lot of people are shocked to find out that there isn't a visa they can even apply for, let alone get. Which dismisses the entire need to talk about the cost of health care.
Old May 30th 2010, 7:24 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa
So I'll reiterate what FatBrit and others have said, without the proper visa, health insurance is the least of your worries. No point in worrying about health insurance, if you can't live here beyond 3 months
Fatbrit hasn't said a word up to this point. However, he's always happy to iterate:

OP, if you've got a million bucks cash or an opposite-gender love interest in the US, we'll talk. Otherwise, you're wasting your time.
Old May 30th 2010, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Fatbrit hasn't said a word up to this point. However, he's always happy to iterate:
It's that bouncing sheep's fault I see it everywhere
Old May 30th 2010, 9:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Relocating

Just to provide some information - even if the writer is not eligible to get a visa to remain permanently in the US. My husband and I (63 and 62 respectively) pay 400 and 300 dollars a month for health insurance. (note this is not Group insurance through a company or group). We have deductibles of 5,000 per annum. So on top of our premiums, the insurance does not pay for anything - except some preventative checks - until we have used up our 5,000 dollars deductible. Since you are in your late 50's you should expect to pay in this range for any health insurance you might get. Even with the latest health reforms you will need to go through some lengthy applications with several insurance companies. If you have any pre-conditions (and these can be extremely varied - from a frozen shoulder to cancer) be prepared to be turned down.
Old May 30th 2010, 10:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

I'm impressed, two pages and that wiki link hasn't been mentioned yet.

Fir any of those categories and I'm sure you'll get more help, other wise it's a waste of very ones time I'm afraid.
Old May 31st 2010, 12:53 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

People are asking the visa question because answering it is simpler, easier, and quicker than answering your original question, and the answer to it will determine if it is worth plodding through all the other bits to your original question.

In the eyes of the visa people, the USA does not want or need you, basically. There are no retiree visas available because generally the view is a retiree has nothing to offer. They are simply going to 'take' from the economy rather than produce jobs or new technologies i.e. what immigration policy supposedly favors. (Sorry I'm being a bit harsh, trying to emphasize the point)

If you can't find a way to a visa on the relatively simple WIKI link, you are not coming to the US. Full stop. If you can find a way to a visa, then the question you asked becomes more relevant.

However, answering your question depends on a myriad of questions that you can't really answer until you are in a position to buy the actual insurance, for example:

What state are you living in?
Who is your employer?
Are you buying an individual (i.e. non-group) plan?
How much can you afford in annual deductibles?
What is your family history of cancer, obesity, smoking, etc?
What is your income?
What is your credit rating (USA)?
What pre-existing medical conditions do you have?
Do you have a route to a green card by age 60 (which means, in reality, do you have a route to the public health program for over 65s called Medicare for which there is a 5 year ban on new immigrants)?
Will you have been able to make the necessary contributions to Medicare by the time you are eligible (both by age and immigrant ban?)

You see, answering the visa question, while it may appear harder on the surface, is really the simpler one as the rules are very black and white. The shades of grey come when you try to buy insurance.

Also check out the wiki on Health Insurance

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Health_Insurance

Good luck

Last edited by penguinsix; May 31st 2010 at 1:01 am.
Old May 31st 2010, 2:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Lansbury demonstrated that it is possible for a guy who's taken early retirement and in good health, to be able to obtain health cover and the costs of his cover. - and you will see from my original posting, that that was my concern at this stage.
Maybe, maybe not. Even someone who can afford individual insurance today may be one serious illness away from future uninsurability. And as penguinsix points out, you need a route to future eligibility for Medicare down the road.
Old May 31st 2010, 8:08 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Maybe, maybe not. Even someone who can afford individual insurance today may be one serious illness away from future uninsurability. And as penguinsix points out, you need a route to future eligibility for Medicare down the road.
Excellent points. If after my recent escapade in hospital Blue Cross cancel my insurance I can swap to the Oregon Insurance Medical Pool for those refused elsewhere. Plus in 3 years I can piggy back off my wife's medicare and claim myself. The last point making it possible to live here because it limited the number of years I have to buy from a commercial company.
Old May 31st 2010, 9:13 am
Just Joined

Dai Cooder is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa
What they are trying to say is, this isn't Australia, or Europe, where you can retire here if you wanted to. The only people that are allowed to retire here without restrictions and live anywhere in the 50 states and territories of the U.S., are USCs and Green Card holders. From what I gather, you don't have either, since you seem to be dodging the questions. So then, you're only limited to 90 day visits at a time, after which you must leave the U.S. for at least a 90 day period (or more), then you can come back for another 90 days, etc. etc. etc. Other than that, you're pretty much out of luck as we do not have retirement visas here. Of course, we're just speculating that you have no visa here to begin with, based on the information you're giving us. So I'll reiterate what FatBrit and others have said, without the proper visa, health insurance is the least of your worries. No point in worrying about health insurance, if you can't live here beyond 3 months

Thanks for your helpful reply, particularly the point about retirement visas. The 90 day/holiday home option in the U.S. was something I considered before eventually relocating to France. I don't think I've dodged any specific questions; if they're put to me, I'll answer them. What I've been trying to find out is the availability and cost of health insurance for an ex. pat of my age who's in reasonably good health. I've also tried to show, without baring my bank balance, that I'm financially independent and willing to pay my way.
Thanks again.
Old May 31st 2010, 9:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Just to provide some information - even if the writer is not eligible to get a visa to remain permanently in the US. My husband and I (63 and 62 respectively) pay 400 and 300 dollars a month for health insurance. (note this is not Group insurance through a company or group). We have deductibles of 5,000 per annum. So on top of our premiums, the insurance does not pay for anything - except some preventative checks - until we have used up our 5,000 dollars deductible. Since you are in your late 50's you should expect to pay in this range for any health insurance you might get. Even with the latest health reforms you will need to go through some lengthy applications with several insurance companies. If you have any pre-conditions (and these can be extremely varied - from a frozen shoulder to cancer) be prepared to be turned down.
Thanks again for another helpful reply.
Old May 31st 2010, 9:27 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fatbrit

OP, if you've got a million bucks cash or an opposite-gender love interest in the US, we'll talk. Otherwise, you're wasting your time.
I've had offers from the opposite sex but I wouldn't dream of taking them up just to gain a foothold in the States.
I hope the bouncing sheep is not there because I'm Welsh
Old May 31st 2010, 9:28 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Interesting and informative.
Thanks.
Old May 31st 2010, 9:36 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by penguinsix
People are asking the visa question because answering it is simpler, easier, and quicker than answering your original question, and the answer to it will determine if it is worth plodding through all the other bits to your original question.

In the eyes of the visa people, the USA does not want or need you, basically. There are no retiree visas available because generally the view is a retiree has nothing to offer. They are simply going to 'take' from the economy rather than produce jobs or new technologies i.e. what immigration policy supposedly favors. (Sorry I'm being a bit harsh, trying to emphasize the point)

If you can't find a way to a visa on the relatively simple WIKI link, you are not coming to the US. Full stop. If you can find a way to a visa, then the question you asked becomes more relevant.

However, answering your question depends on a myriad of questions that you can't really answer until you are in a position to buy the actual insurance, for example:

What state are you living in?
Who is your employer?
Are you buying an individual (i.e. non-group) plan?
How much can you afford in annual deductibles?
What is your family history of cancer, obesity, smoking, etc?
What is your income?
What is your credit rating (USA)?
What pre-existing medical conditions do you have?
Do you have a route to a green card by age 60 (which means, in reality, do you have a route to the public health program for over 65s called Medicare for which there is a 5 year ban on new immigrants)?
Will you have been able to make the necessary contributions to Medicare by the time you are eligible (both by age and immigrant ban?)

You see, answering the visa question, while it may appear harder on the surface, is really the simpler one as the rules are very black and white. The shades of grey come when you try to buy insurance.

Also check out the wiki on Health Insurance

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Health_Insurance

Good luck
What a brilliant post and no, you're not being harsh at all. I realised that at my age I was probably not going to be an asset to the U.S. economy and that at some stage, bits of my body are going to start to fail/fall off, but hopefully not just yet.
Thank you too for posing those questions and pointing out the link regarding the health insurance.
Old May 31st 2010, 10:36 am
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point

I realised that at my age I was probably not going to be an asset to the U.S. economy .....
First things first. Age is irrelevant, ANYBODY that is in the US is contributing in someway to the US economy, whether that be directly or indirectly! (its a shame that united states citizen and immigration service seem to forget that )
whether thats putting gas in your car, shopping at best buy, or paying sales tax for your food.
You mentioned that you have two homes in Wales and one in France. IF selling any of those is an option for you, AND raised enough money for an EB5 investment visa, you could look at that. Heres one JUST as an example www.eb5jaypeakresort.com/ they are regional centers set up by the government, whilst they dont promise a return for your investment, your money is safe, by SAFE i mean, enough to qualify for a green card
(cost about 500,000 plus filing fees US dollars)

If this is not an option, you have an E2 visa, however as you mentioned you would like to retire, so that may not be something you would like to do.
OR you have the option of the B2 visa, which allows you to be a 'snow bird' no cost, relatively easy to apply for. This allows you to spend the cold winter UK months in the US and ......well whatever way you want to do it.

Lastly once you have decided on these things, then look at your health insurance, which is another minefield in itself.
Good luck

Last edited by goldenstate31; May 31st 2010 at 10:36 am. Reason: grammer!
Old May 31st 2010, 3:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your helpful reply, particularly the point about retirement visas. The 90 day/holiday home option in the U.S. was something I considered before eventually relocating to France. I don't think I've dodged any specific questions; if they're put to me, I'll answer them. What I've been trying to find out is the availability and cost of health insurance for an ex. pat of my age who's in reasonably good health. I've also tried to show, without baring my bank balance, that I'm financially independent and willing to pay my way.
Thanks again.
You'll get bounced after a couple of trips doing the VWP thing, it's not meant for people to live here.

As a retired person, you could get a B2 visa, which allows up to 6 months in the US, generally hard to get for those who are eligible for the VWP, but if money and retired, you'd have a chance.

It won't allow you to reside permanently and as a none resident, you'd probably not be able to get proper medical insurance. And travel insurance wouldn't cut it, plus that would get terribly expensive too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.