Relocating

Old Jun 4th 2010, 1:03 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocating

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I didn't realise you were from the UK.
I didn't realise it made a difference...
Old Jun 4th 2010, 1:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hank.C
I am not how it works but my grandma, came to this country at her 60's , has never worked in US, was eligible for Medicare when she reached 65. She received one of the top-notched services at one of the best Medical Center when diagnosing with Cancer. She never paid a dime out of her pocket and the government picked up the tab.
Sounds more like she skipped out on the bills, even with medicare there are out of pocket expenses.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 4:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seneca21
He did move back there to get treatment, but if you think about it, if you can't get the treatment in America then you have to move back to Britain, and then you are ordinarily resident there, because you are a citizen with no intentions of leaving the UK again.

My view is that he deserved the treatment on the NHS.
Those of us who are British citizens are fortunate to have this option, but clearly someone returning and using the services is being funded by British taxpayers at that time, not anything they may or may not have paid in the past. Whether this situation is sustainable remains to be seen.
Old Jun 5th 2010, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Those of us who are British citizens are fortunate to have this option, but clearly someone returning and using the services is being funded by British taxpayers at that time, not anything they may or may not have paid in the past. Whether this situation is sustainable remains to be seen.
If these people just return to the US again then... well, if they stay in Britain I have no problem with it. I don't like the idea of condemning someone to an early death because of bureaucracy and so on.
Old Jun 5th 2010, 2:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

How do you manage to be in the UK without paying taxes?
Old Jun 5th 2010, 2:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Quite possible if one has returned to the UK in a hurry for medical reasons. Likely they will have given up employment to do so and may well have interest and capital gains income below the threshold to be paying income tax. Of course, they may very well be paying income taxes down the road from there if they really are habitually resident. Additionally, they'll almost certainly be paying VAT from the get go, but I'm unsure whether any VAT revenues go to funding the NHS?
Old Jun 5th 2010, 3:24 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Quite possible if one has returned to the UK in a hurry for medical reasons. Likely they will have given up employment to do so and may well have interest and capital gains income below the threshold to be paying income tax. Of course, they may very well be paying income taxes down the road from there if they really are habitually resident. Additionally, they'll almost certainly be paying VAT from the get go, but I'm unsure whether any VAT revenues go to funding the NHS?
NHS receives its income from the general purse.

If you are in a hurry presumably you would fly in, tax.

Buy a cup of coffee at Heathrow, tax.

Newspaper, no tax. Not much else comes to mind.
Old Jun 5th 2010, 3:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I am saying that it's a generous system that lets anyone turn up and use unlimited medical services from the first minute they arrive. It's great that it does so, but in the end it has to be paid for.
Old Jun 5th 2010, 1:50 pm
Account Closed

I would have thought so,you might want to mention this to the Politicians.
Old Jun 5th 2010, 6:33 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I am saying that it's a generous system that lets anyone turn up and use unlimited medical services from the first minute they arrive. It's great that it does so, but in the end it has to be paid for.
Of course, to change that means accepting a system in which some people are left to die as they are here in the US if they don't have enough money to pay for services. That would be a major change in Britain and I wonder if people would be prepared to actually implement it - especially when it affected someone they loved.
Old Jun 5th 2010, 6:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Of course, to change that means accepting a system in which some people are left to die as they are here in the US if they don't have enough money to pay for services. That would be a major change in Britain and I wonder if people would be prepared to actually implement it - especially when it affected someone they loved.
I wonder how many of us would still make the move to the US if we knew we were committed to only their healthcare.
Old Jun 5th 2010, 7:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I don't think it's that simple. The current system allows people - regardless of their ability to pay - to move to the UK and avail themselves of NHS services. Is such a system either sustainable or good public policy?

The classic example is someone like me, who could spend almost all of their working life in the US, pay almost all of my taxes here, and then retire back to the UK. Sure, I would be paying some taxes in the UK, but hardly enough to pay for the level of healthcare the typical retiree is likely to need. Meanwhile, in such an eventuality, all the Medicare taxes I've paid over my working life would essentially become a free gift to the US government.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Jun 5th 2010 at 7:09 pm.
Old Jun 5th 2010, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

srefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I don't think it's that simple. The current system allows people - regardless of their ability to pay - to move to the UK and avail themselves of NHS services. Is such a system either sustainable or good public policy?

The classic example is someone like me, who could spend almost all of their working life in the US, pay almost all of my taxes here, and then retire back to the UK. Sure, I would be paying some taxes in the UK, but hardly enough to pay for the level of healthcare the typical retiree is likely to need. Meanwhile, in such an eventuality, all the Medicare taxes I've paid over my working life would essentially become a free gift to the US government.
True, but surely there are also people who work in the UK and then retire back to their home country, leaving a gift for you?
There are also people who work in the UK either early in their lives, or just for a short time and return home or emigrate. Being young they are less likely to have used the NHS, but will have paid taxes.
There are also richer members of the population who pay taxes, but choose private treatment, for whatever reason.

It still may or may not be sustainable, just pointing out not everyone is a taker, some are givers.
Old Jun 5th 2010, 11:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by srefre
True, but surely there are also people who work in the UK and then retire back to their home country, leaving a gift for you?
Sure, but they have been receiving tax-funded free at the point of service NHS care for their entire working lives. Medicare taxes do nothing for you until age 65. Additionally, those moving back to the US have to qualify or
r buy into Medicare.

Originally Posted by srefre
It still may or may not be sustainable, just pointing out not everyone is a taker, some are givers.
Absolutely, but the current system makes no attempt to differentiate and nor does it on ability to pay of returnees.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
That was kind of British taxpayers...
Good thing UK immigration is outpacing UK emigration eh? Not that the Daily Mail would ever see it that way...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.