Relocating

Old Jun 1st 2010, 9:38 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocating

Originally Posted by Dai Cooder
Trips to Portugal (late September) and Morocco (next February) are in the planning stage and are available for a few tanks of diesel for the camper van.
Sounds lovely - I hear there is actually quite a lot of Brit "snowbirds" caravanners/motor homers along the Portuguese coast.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 1:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dai Cooder
I asked a question about the cost of health cover and didn't realise how much information would be needed to answer such a question. I'm fit, (surf & cycle regularly) and would probably only require cover for emergency type treatment and dentistry. My last check up/bloods at the docs revealed everything was working normally though my cholesterol was .1 above normal/average.
You may think that you are in good health but you just posted several risk factors that will jack up a premium. Private health insurance (rather than group) will ask you a million and one questions and assign risk to them. Cycling and surfing will ding you since there is risk of injury involved, higher than some other sports and the cholesterol result may put you in the high risk cardio category which could add some significant cost to the premium and/or add some coverage exclusions. They will also look at family history and even if you show no signs of anything, if you have a family history of things like cancer, heart disease, diabetes, ect, then that will ding you as well. You also have to remember, it doesn't matter how healthy you or your doctor think you are now, the insurance company looks at short and long term risk and you are not in a good position there.

However, it does seem like you have no need for health insurance from a US company since you have no visa option.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
You may think that you are in good health but you just posted several risk factors that will jack up a premium. Private health insurance (rather than group) will ask you a million and one questions and assign risk to them. Cycling and surfing will ding you since there is risk of injury involved, higher than some other sports and the cholesterol result may put you in the high risk cardio category which could add some significant cost to the premium and/or add some coverage exclusions. They will also look at family history and even if you show no signs of anything, if you have a family history of things like cancer, heart disease, diabetes, ect, then that will ding you as well. You also have to remember, it doesn't matter how healthy you or your doctor think you are now, the insurance company looks at short and long term risk and you are not in a good position there.

However, it does seem like you have no need for health insurance from a US company since you have no visa option.

Excellent points. Is the US really the best country to retire to anyway? The healthcare issues have been dealt with very well on this thread, plus it's a country with a debt/GDP ratio of 90%, a $13 trillion debt and a $1.5 trillion deficit. And if that's not scary enough (it should be) the population is armed and is not going to like the imminent drop in their living standards.

Better off in France, Dai. Really.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seneca21
And if that's not scary enough (it should be) the population is armed and is not going to like the imminent drop in their living standards.
Because we all run around on horses with spurs and cowboy hats shooting our pistols off in the air and yelling Seriously, no one's gonna be shooting anybody here no matter how bad it gets. We're not the uncivilized bunch many liberals think we are. Big difference between a law abiding armed citizen and an armed MS13, etc, gang member

Last edited by chrisfromusa; Jun 2nd 2010 at 9:13 pm.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa
Because we all run around on horses with spurs and cowboy hats shooting our pistols off in the air and yelling Seriously, no one's gonna be shooting anybody here no matter how bad it gets. We're not the uncivilized bunch many liberals think we are. Big difference between a law abiding armed citizen and an armed MS13, etc, gang member
People will do whatever they have to do to secure property and access to fresh water and food. Americans are no better than the French and British and they are no better than Ugandans. They just have it better. Look at Greece - they cut a few paycheques and they burn the city and kill bank clerks.

The US is a country that goes $1 million further into unrepayable debt every 20 seconds. You do the maths.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 1:21 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Just to provide some information - even if the writer is not eligible to get a visa to remain permanently in the US. My husband and I (63 and 62 respectively) pay 400 and 300 dollars a month for health insurance. (note this is not Group insurance through a company or group). We have deductibles of 5,000 per annum. So on top of our premiums, the insurance does not pay for anything - except some preventative checks - until we have used up our 5,000 dollars deductible. Since you are in your late 50's you should expect to pay in this range for any health insurance you might get. Even with the latest health reforms you will need to go through some lengthy applications with several insurance companies. If you have any pre-conditions (and these can be extremely varied - from a frozen shoulder to cancer) be prepared to be turned down.
Wow! Here in NYC, we pay $1,400 for my OH and I. It's great coverage, but the premium goes up about 20% every year. We're in our late 40s but self-employed, so the whole cost falls on us.

The cost isn't the only issue with the US system though - it's also the insecurity. Even if you get coverage, there's no guarantee that your insurer won't find some reason to dump you when you get sick.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Wow! Here in NYC, we pay $1,400 for my OH and I. It's great coverage, but the premium goes up about 20% every year. We're in our late 40s but self-employed, so the whole cost falls on us.

The cost isn't the only issue with the US system though - it's also the insecurity. Even if you get coverage, there's no guarantee that your insurer won't find some reason to dump you when you get sick.
I read a pretty unsettling story about a British man in the US somewhere who got very ill and then lost his job. Basically the insurance company just told him to get lost and he had to return the UK for life-saving treatment. Stories like this make me understand the effort Obama tried to put into a healthcare system but the pig's breakfast he ended up with is not enough.

And you pay $16,800 per year and it goes up this year by another $3400? Considering real wages are staying stagnant health costs sound like they are rocketing.

Last edited by Seneca21; Jun 3rd 2010 at 1:28 am.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 2:24 am

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seneca21
he had to return the UK for life-saving treatment.
That was kind of British taxpayers...
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 3:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
That was kind of British taxpayers...
This man had moved to America in middle age so he had paid plenty of taxes into the British Treasury over the years. I presume he had also paid plenty of taxes into the US Treasury as well but that counted for zip.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 4:53 am

Disnae matter. NHS care is not like pensions where you're entitled to past recognition (sometimes). You either ordinarily resident in the UK and are entitled to use it, or you're not.

I'm not unsympathetic to the guy, obviously - I mean, what else is he going to do?
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 12:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Disnae matter. NHS care is not like pensions where you're entitled to past recognition (sometimes). You either ordinarily resident in the UK and are entitled to use it, or you're not.

I'm not unsympathetic to the guy, obviously - I mean, what else is he going to do?
No idea of the story but it sounds like he moved back to the UK so he would be eligible for NHS treatment.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 1:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't realise you were from the UK.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 9:19 pm
Banned

Hank.C is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not how it works but my grandma, came to this country at her 60's , has never worked in US, was eligible for Medicare when she reached 65. She received one of the top-notched services at one of the best Medical Center when diagnosing with Cancer. She never paid a dime out of her pocket and the government picked up the tab.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 9:26 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hank.C
I am not how it works but my grandma, came to this country at her 60's , has never worked in US, was eligible for Medicare when she reached 65. She received one of the top-notched services at one of the best Medical Center when diagnosing with Cancer. She never paid a dime out of her pocket and the government picked up the tab.
unless you pay for the required quarters into the
social security ... them one you have been a green card holder for 5 years you can pay monthly

if you have paid for full benefits you pay $98 a month
if you have not paid in its around $600 a month

therefore your story it crap ...
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 11:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
No idea of the story but it sounds like he moved back to the UK so he would be eligible for NHS treatment.
He did move back there to get treatment, but if you think about it, if you can't get the treatment in America then you have to move back to Britain, and then you are ordinarily resident there, because you are a citizen with no intentions of leaving the UK again.

My view is that he deserved the treatment on the NHS.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.