Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is it really better in England, or just rose tinted glasses?

Is it really better in England, or just rose tinted glasses?

Old Dec 18th 2010, 12:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it really better in England, or just rose tinted glasses?

Originally Posted by meauxna
It's my measured opinion that there are a lot of people in the US in the same situation as you, Hubs, and I'm sorry I didn't contribute to the thread earlier but it cheesed me off and I had to walk away.

My husband, you, the long list of other happily transplanted folk.. they don't post about it all the time. There are a few of you on this site who do, but I know it's just human nature to like to gripe and that will always be the majority. I don't know why I let it get to me sometimes, but it shouldn't bother you. You certainly sound like you know yourself and what works for you.

My husband has lived here going on ten years now, is not an idiot and loves it. For any of you to assume any happy transplant is naive, ignorant or a newbie is just not right.
Some people simply prefer life in the US vs the UK.
One can be happy without having to add that Britain is a dump.

I will try my best not to 'gripe' in future, let's hope everyone seeking to move gets a lovely positive spin.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 12:56 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
It's my measured opinion that there are a lot of people in the US in the same situation as you, Hubs, and I'm sorry I didn't contribute to the thread earlier but it cheesed me off and I had to walk away.

My husband, you, the long list of other happily transplanted folk.. they don't post about it all the time. There are a few of you on this site who do, but I know it's just human nature to like to gripe and that will always be the majority. I don't know why I let it get to me sometimes, but it shouldn't bother you. You certainly sound like you know yourself and what works for you.

My husband has lived here going on ten years now, is not an idiot and loves it. For any of you to assume any happy transplant is naive, ignorant or a newbie is just not right.
Some people simply prefer life in the US vs the UK.
I don't think anyone has said Brits can't possibly be happy in the US. I think what many of us were objecting to was the UK being dissed by someone who has only lived here for a short length of time.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 12:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Hubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I don't read the posts in the same way. I don't think anyone has said Brits can possibly be happy in the US. I think what many of us were objecting to was the UK being dissed by someone who has only lived here for a short length of time.
I wasn't qualified to say I loved living here because I haven't lived here long enough and not qualified to diss the UK because I also haven't lived here long enough and 40+ years (minus 6 months) in the UK doesn't count???
Old Dec 18th 2010, 1:06 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hubcaps
I wasn't qualified to say I loved living here because I haven't lived here long enough and not qualified to diss the UK because I also haven't lived here long enough and 40+ years (minus 6 months) in the UK doesn't count???
Of course you can say you enjoy living here. Yes you can diss the UK...but don't expect most of us to agree with you.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 1:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Hubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Of course you can say you enjoy living here. Yes you can diss the UK...but don't expect most of us to agree with you.
I didn't expect or ask for anyone to agree with me, show me where I did. I gave my opinion and elaborated when asked to. I didn't set out to change anyone's view, just put forward my own.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 4:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Why would I compare the two countries when I haven't any real personal experience of any of the pitfalls here? Yes things can be worse over here but I was asked and replied only about why I don't like the UK not why here is better.
Hmmm...

Our quality of life is so much better, the schools are better, the people are nicer, attitudes are better. The scenery, the trees, the lakes, the food, the shopping are fantastic. Everything is just so much better and so clean!
I've lived all over the UK, from Scotland to Cornwall, in big cities like London, on a farm on a Welsh mountainside plus everything in-between and I have never lived anywhere better than I do now.
This is home.
I'm seeing five betters, a nicer and a fantastic Me thinks the lady doth complain too much.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 8:31 am
Just Joined

Suzette is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Blunder
I've been here in the USA now (Texas for four years, Colorado for one) and I've finally arrived at the point where the "novelty has worn off". I don't know if it's age, maturity, a few years in the school of life, or what, but after some ups and downs, some wonderful experiences and adventures, and some true tests of patience, I'm officially done.

At first, the glitz of living in "AMERICA!", the open roads, the scenery, the big plates of food, frosted beer glasses, huge houses and athe things we heard about in movies were enough to sustain my interest. It has been a wonderful larger than life experience with good friends, but I've never been able to shake the feeling that I had overstayed a holiday.

And as good as the friends are that I've made here, I know we don't have that deep, true blood "brotherhood" bond like what I have with my mates back home. It's like everything in America emotionally gets to a 7 or an 8 before hitting a glass ceiling and never truly hitting that 10 to say "This truly is my home now."

I miss so many things, big and small, about England and I want to know if I decided to move back, would I regret it once all the tearful reunions and catching up with friends died down? Would catching the bus to my small terraced house just in time for Eastenders soon get old, with me asking myself why I left behind a grand home, car, and laying by the pool?

I miss my family, my true childhood friends, I miss the lifestyle over there. I can't ever shake the feeling that America is just constantly shaking me down for money - processing fees, admin fees, convenience fees, toll road fees, state tax, federal tax, etc. I feel like my original plans to travel the continent and see the sights have somehow been slapped with a giant dose of reality and instead I'm just working 8-6 (with ten days vacation a year lol) just to pay the bills and try to survive. Life has become more about existing rather than living.

And if I'm going to "exist", I'd rather do it in the same locale as my parents, siblings and friends.

Is a return to England really that promising? Or just another "grass is greener" fantasy that will soon leave me cold and longing for my US life again?

Right now nothing sounds better than making my way through the cold to see the warm orange glow of the pub windows, the muffle of a live band, and knowing there's a pint in there waiting for me, and a group of mates around the small circular table.

I really miss home

Truly,there is no place like home. I don't see how my ancestors did it...picking up roots and moving to a strange land...yet, I do understand the
significance of home.
I lived in various places around the U.S. because of my job. I even liked these differing places. Yet, in the end,or finally I missed my roots. My mother, my father, my siblings...and extended family. I missed connection and in knowing people.
"There simply is no place like home."
Suzette
Old Dec 18th 2010, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Hmmm...

I'm seeing five betters, a nicer and a fantastic Me thinks the lady doth complain too much.
And that was my first post about how happy I am living here. Nice try but lets go from me protesting too much to you clutching at straws

BTW thank you so much so all the people who have PMd me, it really does mean a lot.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Suzette
Truly,there is no place like home. I don't see how my ancestors did it...picking up roots and moving to a strange land...yet, I do understand the
significance of home.
I lived in various places around the U.S. because of my job. I even liked these differing places. Yet, in the end,or finally I missed my roots. My mother, my father, my siblings...and extended family. I missed connection and in knowing people.
"There simply is no place like home."
Suzette
hi - my 2 pennyworth - or 2 dimes worth now that I'm on my way to the USA!! I think that "home" can be lots of places - Im still in Blighty but will see the USA as Home when I get there as thats where I will be living but also the Uk will be home as my family are here - my wonderful long term friends are here and I will be visiting as often as I can.

I currently live in London but my family is in the North East - in London I say im "going home" and in the north east when coming back to London I say "Im going home"...
Old Dec 18th 2010, 2:17 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
I currently live in London but my family is in the North East - in London I say im "going home" and in the north east when coming back to London I say "Im going home"...
This reminds me of when I was first in the US, the Neil Diamond song "I am . . I said" used to swirl round my head, but I'd substitute London and NY for NY and LA:

Well I'm British born and raised
But nowadays, I'm lost between two shores
New York's fine, but it ain't home
London's home, but it ain't mine no more

(with apologies to Neil!)

Of course, all these years later, I consider myself a New Yorker in terms of my "American-ness" and my days of thinking like this song are long gone!
Old Dec 18th 2010, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud of

Hubcaps - I understand where you are coming from and totally agree.

I also do understand that yes - should I lose my job & my healthcare etc etc then I won't be as happy in the USA as I currently am. Surely this goes without saying!

The same logic can be applied to just about anything in life. Whatever country you happen to be living in.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 4:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

And that was my first post about how happy I am living here. Nice try but lets go from me protesting too much to you clutching at straws
Keep digging. Let's see what you wrote again:

Why would I compare the two countries when I haven't any real personal experience of any of the pitfalls here?Yes things can be worse over here but I was asked and replied only about why I don't like the UK not why here is better.
And yet, in this very thread you've written:

Our quality of life is so much better the schools are better, the people are nicer, attitudes are better. The scenery, the trees, the lakes, the food, the shopping are fantastic. Everything is just so much better and so clean!
I've lived all over the UK, from Scotland to Cornwall, in big cities like London, on a farm on a Welsh mountainside plus everything in-between and I have never lived anywhere better than I do now.
This is home.
See that word better? It's called a comparative. So if that's not comparing , then what the fuck is it?

Last edited by Giantaxe; Dec 18th 2010 at 4:27 pm.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 4:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by TimberHut
H
I also do understand that yes - should I lose my job & my healthcare etc etc then I won't be as happy in the USA as I currently am. Surely this goes without saying!

The same logic can be applied to just about anything in life. Whatever country you happen to be living in.
The point was that losing one's job in the US often takes one's access to healthcare with it and/or leaves one bankrupt from an inability to pay healthcare bills. That's usually not true in any other western country. So, yes, losing one's job in any country is painful, but frequently rather more painful - and potentially life threatening - in the US. Imo, despite feeling extremely positive in general about living in the US, that's one real significant negative about living here in comparison to the UK and other western countries.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Dec 18th 2010 at 4:35 pm.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 4:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Keep digging. Let's see what you wrote again:

And yet, in this very thread you've written:

See that word better? It's called a comparative. So if that's not comparing , then what the fuck is it?
How about just letting Hubcaps have her opinion, regardless of what it is, and be done with it. Are you so anal that you can't just leave it alone?
Old Dec 18th 2010, 4:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
How about just letting Hubcaps have her opinion, regardless of what it is, and be done with it. Are you so anal that you can't just leave it alone?
AmerLisa rides to the "rescue"... lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.