Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is it really better in England, or just rose tinted glasses?

Is it really better in England, or just rose tinted glasses?

Old Jan 7th 2011, 11:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it really better in England, or just rose tinted glasses?

Originally Posted by Bob
I bloody hated the church bells, St Nic's, they practised every Thursday and Friday, did the bells on Saturday and a double dose on Sundays, plus weddings/funerals.

Probably didn't help that I lived right behind the damn place....but speaking of, did have to do a double take when we saw Downton Abbey because that church scene in the first episode, it was a dead ringer, right down to the neighbouring street, but I think it was somewhere else in Oxfordshire.
I lived right opposite a church in Islington, the bells drove me round the twist.
Old Jan 7th 2011, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I lived right opposite a church in Islington, the bells drove me round the twist.
I'd forgotten the bells, Thursady night at 7.30 until about 10, Saturday most of the day, Sunday at stupid o clock, oh how I dont miss that!
Old Jan 7th 2011, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

keaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bob
I knew the estate was out in Berks, but the church scene, where they go for the service that first time...that was from somewhere in Oxfordshire, just not my local.
I never saw it, unfortunately as it was supposed to be good. I didn't know it wasn't all filmed in same area.

Still like the sound of church bells, despite what everyone's saying...
Old Jan 7th 2011, 11:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keaki80
I never saw it, unfortunately as it was supposed to be good. I didn't know it wasn't all filmed in same area.
It's just started on PBS now, so worth catching
Old Jan 11th 2011, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

keaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bob
It's just started on PBS now, so worth catching
Thanks for that tip, I started taping it.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

big_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Blunder
I've been here in the USA now (Texas for four years, Colorado for one) and I've finally arrived at the point where the "novelty has worn off". I don't know if it's age, maturity, a few years in the school of life, or what, but after some ups and downs, some wonderful experiences and adventures, and some true tests of patience, I'm officially done.

At first, the glitz of living in "AMERICA!", the open roads, the scenery, the big plates of food, frosted beer glasses, huge houses and athe things we heard about in movies were enough to sustain my interest. It has been a wonderful larger than life experience with good friends, but I've never been able to shake the feeling that I had overstayed a holiday.

And as good as the friends are that I've made here, I know we don't have that deep, true blood "brotherhood" bond like what I have with my mates back home. It's like everything in America emotionally gets to a 7 or an 8 before hitting a glass ceiling and never truly hitting that 10 to say "This truly is my home now."

I miss so many things, big and small, about England and I want to know if I decided to move back, would I regret it once all the tearful reunions and catching up with friends died down? Would catching the bus to my small terraced house just in time for Eastenders soon get old, with me asking myself why I left behind a grand home, car, and laying by the pool?

I miss my family, my true childhood friends, I miss the lifestyle over there. I can't ever shake the feeling that America is just constantly shaking me down for money - processing fees, admin fees, convenience fees, toll road fees, state tax, federal tax, etc. I feel like my original plans to travel the continent and see the sights have somehow been slapped with a giant dose of reality and instead I'm just working 8-6 (with ten days vacation a year lol) just to pay the bills and try to survive. Life has become more about existing rather than living.

And if I'm going to "exist", I'd rather do it in the same locale as my parents, siblings and friends.

Is a return to England really that promising? Or just another "grass is greener" fantasy that will soon leave me cold and longing for my US life again?

Right now nothing sounds better than making my way through the cold to see the warm orange glow of the pub windows, the muffle of a live band, and knowing there's a pint in there waiting for me, and a group of mates around the small circular table.

I really miss home
I left Australia last year (I'm Scottish) after 5 years to come 'home' to London (which is where I lived before going to Oz). For the last 6 months over there I had the same feelings you are having and was so excited to be coming home. I had the exact same feelings that although I had made good friends there, it wasn't on the level of my friends at home. I also felt like I was on an extended holiday even after 5 years, and it wasn't my 'home'.

Things have been ok since I got back. I see my family a bit more and some of the friends I had before I left still live in London so I see them more.

However, I've realised since coming here that you can never 'go back', only forward. When you move 'back' somewhere, the place has changed but also your mates, family and even yourself will have changed in those 5 years.

I have mates that were single and loving it when I left who are now married with a kid and pets and getting excited about what new sofa to buy etc.

The grass is always greener. These days, no-one really stands still and had I stayed here it would have been my mates moving abroad instead of me.

I've now been offered a move to the USA with work so might be on another adventure soon. But I know I'll have the same feelings again.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

big_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud of

I'd also add on the schools debate:

I did my last two years of high school in Philadelphia after doing the rest of my schooling in the UK. I finished school 12 years ago so my experience may not be valid any more but on the whole I felt that I got more out of my schooling in america than in the uk.

It's hard to describe the difference but I would say it felt like UK schools taught me more information and made me remember more things, but the US school gave me a much broader range of experiences and I felt that I had to use my brain a bit more and be more independent. I also liked the emphasis on the extra-curriculur stuff in the USA, where pretty much every person in my year was involved in activities that interested them after school from music to art to sports (me).

The classes in the USA probably seemed 'easier' than in the UK, but I got more out of them and thought more about the general topic rather than just having to remember the particular equation we were focussing on etc.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 4:57 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by big_matt

I did my last two years of high school in Philadelphia after doing the rest of my schooling in the UK. I finished school 12 years ago so my experience may not be valid any more but on the whole I felt that I got more out of my schooling in america than in the uk.

It's hard to describe the difference but I would say it felt like UK schools taught me more information and made me remember more things, but the US school gave me a much broader range of experiences and I felt that I had to use my brain a bit more and be more independent. I also liked the emphasis on the extra-curriculur stuff in the USA, where pretty much every person in my year was involved in activities that interested them after school from music to art to sports (me).

The classes in the USA probably seemed 'easier' than in the UK, but I got more out of them and thought more about the general topic rather than just having to remember the particular equation we were focussing on etc.
Oh dear, don't go talking sense like that!
Old Jan 12th 2011, 9:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

That's weird, my son found the exact opposite.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if it has just as much to do with the school as the country? My own experience goes back a long, long time admittedly. I changed schools in the UK when I was 16. My original high school had extra curricular activities galore; a school band, dozens of sports team, a Duke of Edinburgh award scheme, field trips, after school clubs, etc. The school I moved to had nothing at all. They met the bare minimum requirements as far as sports went, but otherwise zip. Whereas the teachers at the first school were very active in extra-curricular activities, the ones at the second school couldn't wait to leave.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 11:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Does depend on the school though...such a massive range, even within the same county.

I know some schools who have superb after school programs, do loads of fun stuff, great reputations, and yet other schools in the same area don't even let kids take breaks outside, never mind do any sports or have any money for music.

Same could be said for the UK. When it's great, it's great, when it's not, it's more memorable I guess

I still don't know what Calculus v Trig v pre classes are though...it's all maths, why make it more complicated
Old Jan 13th 2011, 4:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bob
Does depend on the school though...such a massive range, even within the same county.

I know some schools who have superb after school programs, do loads of fun stuff, great reputations, and yet other schools in the same area don't even let kids take breaks outside, never mind do any sports or have any money for music.

Same could be said for the UK. When it's great, it's great, when it's not, it's more memorable I guess

I still don't know what Calculus v Trig v pre classes are though...it's all maths, why make it more complicated
Oh I'm sure that's true, the poster I replied to put in terms of US/UK. Speaking to many parents and educators locally, they say it has changed around here in recent years with pressures to teach to test and budget cuts affecting the range of subject offered.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 6:56 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

That's the opposite of what I think the typical caricature is of the UK education system (spoon-fed, teaching to the test, rote memorization, multiple-choice summative assessments) and the UK system (process-oriented, experiential learning, continuous formative assessment primarily via essay, etc.). In reality, I think it is often dependent on the school, although I see a lot more academic freedom in the States rather than "state" (government)-dictated curriculum and methods. Same at the university level - I have NO choice how I assess students and NO choice in the class content - I have to follow the "definitive document" (all sounds very 1984-ish, doesn't it?)
Old Jan 13th 2011, 2:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
That's the opposite of what I think the typical caricature is of the UK education system (spoon-fed, teaching to the test, rote memorization, multiple-choice summative assessments) and the UK system (process-oriented, experiential learning, continuous formative assessment primarily via essay, etc.). In reality, I think it is often dependent on the school, although I see a lot more academic freedom in the States rather than "state" (government)-dictated curriculum and methods. Same at the university level - I have NO choice how I assess students and NO choice in the class content - I have to follow the "definitive document" (all sounds very 1984-ish, doesn't it?)
I think its becoming the same way here in the US. Because teaching to the test is what is required these days (No Child Left Behind....) districts are giving their teachers strict curriculum for this purpose. It all culminates in that big test at the end of the year....
Old Jan 13th 2011, 6:17 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

There's an old saying: "you can't go home again". And it's true. After several years the place you came from will have changed and people will have changed as well.

I've moved around a lot over the years, frankly I've lost count actually and the reality is that "the past is a different country; they do things differently there."

I'd say the main problem is that YOU will have changed in ways that you probably don't realise. People you will meet "back home" will not be able to relate to your experiences abroad, they will assume you are the person you were and that will annoy you.

The reality of moving around is that you become more socially disconnected; the people in your new home have no experience of your old home and the people in your old home have no experience of your new home.

This is frankly why this forum exists, because of the shared experience of leaving one country for a new one, we have that shared experience and not many of the people we know immediately around us do.

I tried moving back to the UK once, stayed there for years, made friends with people who I hadn't been friends with before and frankly there was almost no connection to my previous life in the UK. From the standpoint of trying to "reconnect" it was pointless. You can't, after a few years it's too late. I remember going into the supermarket and I didn't recognise half the stuff on the shelves.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.