Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is it really better in England, or just rose tinted glasses?

Is it really better in England, or just rose tinted glasses?

Old Jan 5th 2011, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

wordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Is it really better in England, or just rose tinted glasses?

I'm a newly minted USC going through the same debate with his American OH... I've narrowed down the things I miss from the UK to two basic categories -- social aspects of British life and the NHS!

From what I can tell, life in the UK can be as potentially shit as I seem to remember when I commuted daily, dealt with British bureaucracy and watched half my earnings vanish before I'd got them into the bank. Makes me realize how straightforward rampant capitalism and a constitution can make many aspects of life in the US (YMMV, of course).

But spending the first 27 years of my life in the UK made me who I am socially, and that's what I miss most. Even my best friends in the US sometimes feel like mere acquaintances to me. Silly buggers still keep quoting Monty Python at me

And then there's the NHS... sweet jeezus I miss not having to worry about healthcare! It doesn't help that my OH and I are both self-employed, of course, but even when we were gainfully employed and had company plans, it was still an often-expensive hassle. My dad in the UK, meanwhile, has to have a heart valve replaced and so far the process has been a doddle for him... right down to picking the hospital.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 12:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
It's even more specific than that. I have several friends in California who yearn to move back to the east coast now they are approaching retirement.
I think of each US state as an EU country...so yes that makes sense.

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Yes that's it exactly
My daughter is now engaged to a lovely Canadian guy. Reading some of the threads/posts in the MBTTUK forum could somewhat complicate matters...obviously his roots are in Canada.

Similar scenarios that don't figure into the equation when one is considering becoming an expat.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 12:26 am
BE Enthusiast

beachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wordfool
And then there's the NHS... sweet jeezus I miss not having to worry about healthcare! It doesn't help that my OH and I are both self-employed, of course, but even when we were gainfully employed and had company plans, it was still an often-expensive hassle. My dad in the UK, meanwhile, has to have a heart valve replaced and so far the process has been a doddle for him... right down to picking the hospital.
My dad (now 80 years old) found out at the age of 78 that he had early stages of prostate cancer. The NHS started treatment within weeks and within 12 months he was given the all clear. I related this story to a neighbor here in the US, who told me that had this happened here, that it would be unlikely that health insurance would have stumped up for any treatment at all. The view would have been that because prostate cancer is a very slow progressing cancer and because of my dad's age, it was more likely that he would have died of other causes before the cancer got him.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 12:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Hummmm unfortunately I think thats a fact of life anywhere in the western world..

Well that's my point.....
Old Jan 5th 2011, 12:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Sadly I think that's the curse of the ex-pats Sally.

I see friends and family in the UK who have got their retirement nicely sewn up in neat packages. They see their adult children frequently. Then I look at us...torn between the UK/US/Canada. I really can't think of growing old anywhere but the UK...if only because I 'know the ropes' there...it's safe, comfortable...it's home. The problem is our daughter will be in Canada...although having spent the last couple of weeks in the UK...I can see her roots are in the UK too.
Ahhh, yes.... You're lucky you only have the one daughter to contend with, and hopefully you'll all be together in one country, wherever that may be...

I know what you mean about knowing the "ropes".... that was one of the biggest reasons I had for moving back to the US, although the "ropes" had changed a bit, they were still more familiar to me.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 12:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by beachgal21
My dad (now 80 years old) found out at the age of 78 that he had early stages of prostate cancer. The NHS started treatment within weeks and within 12 months he was given the all clear. I related this story to a neighbor here in the US, who told me that had this happened here, that it would be unlikely that health insurance would have stumped up for any treatment at all. The view would have been that because prostate cancer is a very slow progressing cancer and because of my dad's age, it was more likely that he would have died of other causes before the cancer got him.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 12:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I think of each US state as an EU country...so yes that makes sense.

My daughter is now engaged to a lovely Canadian guy. Reading some of the threads/posts in the MBTTUK forum could somewhat complicate matters...obviously his roots are in Canada.

Similar scenarios that don't figure into the equation when one is considering becoming an expat.
Yes I was going to ask you about that...at least he's nice

I certainly never thought of any of this when I moved.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 1:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I was going to ask you about that...at least he's nice

I certainly never thought of any of this when I moved.
I don't think many expats consider our children when they reach adulthood...we only think of the immediate future.

For instance...if my daughter has a child and then longs to go back to the UK but her Canadian husband doesn't...she is then tied to Canada.

We spent Christmas in the UK this year. We overheard our daughter talking to my best friend whose daughter is my daughter's best friend from the day they started school at 4 yrs old...she said she wished she'd never moved from the UK. It broke my husband's heart.

The connection she has with the UK and the people is so obvious...I'd never really noticed it before. Her last visit to the UK was 5 years ago when she was 20...before that she was 14.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jan 5th 2011 at 1:10 am.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 1:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think many expats consider our children when they reach adulthood...we only think of the immediate future.

For instance...if my daughter has a child and then longs to go back to the UK but her Canadian husband doesn't...she is then tied to Canada.

We spent Christmas in the UK this year. We overheard our daughter talking to my best friend whose daughter is my daughter's best friend from the day they started school at 4 yrs old...she said she wished she'd never moved from the UK. It broke my husband's heart.
People are very quick to say, "Children are adaptable" and override their feelings...what your daughter said really must have been heartbreaking.

We did what we did and have to live with it.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 1:12 am
SUPER MODERATOR

People are very quick to say, "Children are adaptable" and override their feelings...what your daughter said really must have been heartbreaking.

That's what I said to my husband...my daughter living in the UK/US/Canada is what's made her what she is today.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 1:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beachgal21
Depending on a patient's age and the general prognosis of the cancer, doing nothing is often the best approach for older people. This - for once - probably has nothing to do with health insurance: I have a relative in the UK who's lived with prostate cancer for over a decade. He's now in his late 80's and something else almost certainly will cause his death before prostate cancer does.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Just happened upon this, spoke to 17year old tonight who's been in the Uk for 2 weeks, I asked him if he was looking forward to coming 'home' tomorrow, he said no not really, breaks your heart every time (this from the kid who's applying to US Uni's) call me confused.com!
Old Jan 5th 2011, 2:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by traceym
Just happened upon this, spoke to 17year old tonight who's been in the Uk for 2 weeks, I asked him if he was looking forward to coming 'home' tomorrow, he said no not really, breaks your heart every time (this from the kid who's applying to US Uni's) call me confused.com!
Hey tell me about it. My daughter was 11 when we moved here in 1996. After high school she went to uni in Toronto and is now living and working there. She's in the UK at the moment and having a fab time.

Move over confused.com.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Hey tell me about it. My daughter was 11 when we moved here in 1996. After high school she went to uni in Toronto and is now living and working there. She's in the UK at the moment and having a fab time.

Move over confused.com.
Oh if only I knew what I know now all those years ago, I'd be childless and selfish (in the nicest possible way) for sure!
Old Jan 5th 2011, 2:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by traceym
Oh if only I knew what I know now all those years ago, I'd be childless and selfish (in the nicest possible way) for sure!
I wouldn't be childless but I think I would have stayed in the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.