Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Qualifications?

View Poll Results: What is your level of formal education?
None! Didn't get me where I is through no book learnin'!
3.90%
O'Levels / GCSEs / CSEs etc.
9.09%
A'Levels etc.
10.39%
Vocational Qualifications (NVQ / City & Guilds etc.)
11.69%
Bachelor's Degree
35.06%
Master's Degree
11.69%
Professional Degree (MBA / MD / JD etc.)
7.79%
Doctorate
10.39%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Qualifications?

Old Jun 11th 2004, 2:02 pm
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Qualifications?

Originally posted by Chopper-Chris

Where would we be if University students all came out with the same attitude that school pupils left school with?
And what attitude is that??

I chose not to continue with university, further education at that stage wasn't for me. Does that mean I know have this 'attitude' you're talking about?
Old Jun 11th 2004, 2:21 pm
dealing with it

Chopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really nice

Originally posted by RoB1833
And what attitude is that??

I chose not to continue with university, further education at that stage wasn't for me. Does that mean I know have this 'attitude' you're talking about?

now don't get the hump, it wasn't directed personally,

maybe its an age thing, but from my experience and my own memory, school did nothing to inspire me to learn for myself, frankly I couldn't wait to get out of the place and actually work for a living...It just didn't motivate me or interest me (thats the attitude I was referring to)

having said that, when I went to university, I became a different person, and I found the opposite, I discovered a thirst for understanding and knowledge that I had never recognised in me before, I was actually interested in the subject (I studied Biochem at Leicester).

The true test came when completing my PPL (H) and CPL (H)...the ground school was torture, all physics (never a favorite subject) and principles of flight, but again, with an interest in the subject, and a massive desire to reach the goal...I found it very easy to 'get my head' around it all eventually.

Perhaps its simple motivation that school leavers lack, my concern is that many of them go on to further/higher education simply because they can't think of anything better to do.
Old Jun 11th 2004, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

now don't get the hump, it wasn't directed personally,

maybe its an age thing, but from my experience and my own memory, school did nothing to inspire me to learn for myself, frankly I couldn't wait to get out of the place and actually work for a living...It just didn't motivate me or interest me (thats the attitude I was referring to)

having said that, when I went to university, I became a different person, and I found the opposite, I discovered a thirst for understanding and knowledge that I had never recognised in me before, I was actually interested in the subject (I studied Biochem at Leicester).

The true test came when completing my PPL (H) and CPL (H)...the ground school was torture, all physics (never a favorite subject) and principles of flight, but again, with an interest in the subject, and a massive desire to reach the goal...I found it very easy to 'get my head' around it all eventually.

Perhaps its simple motivation that school leavers lack, my concern is that many of them go on to further/higher education simply because they can't think of anything better to do.
Hello Life scientist, I take it that you studies some Genetics?
Old Jun 11th 2004, 2:24 pm
dealing with it

Chopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really nice

Originally posted by veryfunny
Hello Life scientist, I take it that you studies some Genetics?
it was part of the course...but a long time ago!

why
?
Old Jun 11th 2004, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

it was part of the course...but a long time ago!

why
?
Yes I did some Bichem too but changed in my late 2nd year.
Old Jun 11th 2004, 2:53 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I discovered a thirst for understanding and knowledge that I had never recognised in me before,
I had a thirst at uni too mate, not to do with learning though.
Old Jun 11th 2004, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

I do have a question for all those MBA people out there, was it worth it?
Old Jun 11th 2004, 3:12 pm
dealing with it

Originally posted by manc1976
I had a thirst at uni too mate, not to do with learning though.

Old Jun 11th 2004, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

hhmaker is an unknown quantity at this point

You actually mean, "you're right"

Shame they didn't use some of that money to educate you in correct use of English grammar.

Hey bright boy
I love dealing with intellectuals like you. "You're" right I do not excel in grammar. Moreover, I can never achieve the dizzy heights of educational excellence that you so clearly have. However, I can earn more in a year than you can in a lifetime.

Not bad for a boy from Brixton.
Old Jun 11th 2004, 5:44 pm
Banned

Gross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by hhmaker
Hey bright boy
I love dealing with intellectuals like you. "You're" right I do not excel in grammar. Moreover, I can never achieve the dizzy heights of educational excellence that you so clearly have. However, I can earn more in a year than you can in a lifetime.

Not bad for a boy from Brixton.
The following short quiz consists of 4 questions and will tell you whether you are qualified to be a "professional." Scroll down for each answer. The questions are NOT that difficult.

1. How do you put a giraffe into a refrigerator? The correct answer is: Open the refrigerator, put in the giraffe, and close the door. This question tests whether you tend to do simple things in an overly complicated way.

2. How do you put an elephant into a refrigerator? Did you say, " Open the refrigerator, put in the elephant, and close the refrigerator?"(Wrong Answer):Correct Answer: Open the refrigerator, take out the giraffe, put in the elephant and close the door. This tests your ability to think through the repercussions of your previous actions.

3. The King of the Forest is hosting an animal conference. All the animals attend except one. Which animal does not attend? Did you say you don't know? Of course you know. Correct Answer is: The Elephant. The elephant is in the refrigerator. You just put him in there.
This tests your memory. OK, even if you did not answer the first three questions correctly, you still have one more chance to show your true abilities.

4. There is a river you must cross but it is inhabited by crocodiles. How do you manage it? Correct Answer: You swim across. All the crocodiles are attending the Animal Meeting. This tests whether you learn quickly from your mistakes.
How'z that? Are you a qualified professional? Hahahaaaaaaaa!

Around 90% of the professionals tested got all questions wrong. But many preschoolers got several correct answers. This conclusively disproves the theory that most professionals have the brains of a four year old.
Old Jun 11th 2004, 6:10 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dunroving
<<snip>>

People who go to college have a certain type of intelligence/way of thinking/attitude, and this is fostered at the college.
I'd put it simpler than that. Those who go to university (regardless of whether it's the US or UK) are competent in studying and are adept to conforming to the ways of testing in those countries.

There's many ways to measure intelligence outside the academic realm. However, for the sake of consistency and speed, universities and employers look to academic qualifications first as anyone who hasn't got a High School diploma can probably attest.
Old Jun 11th 2004, 6:12 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Gross50
The following short quiz consists of 4 questions and will tell you whether you are qualified to be a "professional." Scroll down for each answer. The questions are NOT that difficult.

1. How do you put a giraffe into a refrigerator? The correct answer is: Open the refrigerator, put in the giraffe, and close the door. This question tests whether you tend to do simple things in an overly complicated way.

2. How do you put an elephant into a refrigerator? Did you say, " Open the refrigerator, put in the elephant, and close the refrigerator?"(Wrong Answer):Correct Answer: Open the refrigerator, take out the giraffe, put in the elephant and close the door. This tests your ability to think through the repercussions of your previous actions.

3. The King of the Forest is hosting an animal conference. All the animals attend except one. Which animal does not attend? Did you say you don't know? Of course you know. Correct Answer is: The Elephant. The elephant is in the refrigerator. You just put him in there.
This tests your memory. OK, even if you did not answer the first three questions correctly, you still have one more chance to show your true abilities.

4. There is a river you must cross but it is inhabited by crocodiles. How do you manage it? Correct Answer: You swim across. All the crocodiles are attending the Animal Meeting. This tests whether you learn quickly from your mistakes.
How'z that? Are you a qualified professional? Hahahaaaaaaaa!

Around 90% of the professionals tested got all questions wrong. But many preschoolers got several correct answers. This conclusively disproves the theory that most professionals have the brains of a four year old.
3 more
Old Jun 11th 2004, 7:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Vicky88
Effi

To a large degree being in the right place at the right time does play a part. However, I think being in the right place at the right time is a bit more difficult these days because of the way they have tightened up on H1B's due to high unemployment in the US. I think anyone without a degree trying to get a visa for the US these days would struggle. Not saying it can't be done, but it would be difficult trying to convince INS that the applicant can do a job that no US citizen can do without having that piece of paper.
I have a friend in Philly who is a picture framer in an art gallery. She got a gc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 11th 2004, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Originally posted by dbj1000
Good for you! Good luck - as you know, it will be worth it when you get here and are job hunting...

...unless you find yourself being interviewed by a senior British executive with no paper qualifications!!!

So I guess 25 years of hard work and experience in a single field counts for nothing.
Old Jun 11th 2004, 7:42 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by effi
So I guess 25 years of hard work and experience in a single field counts for nothing.
Absolutely right! It counts for nothing whatsoever to an intellectual snob like me who is obsessed with paper qualifications.

Geez, lighten up! It was a JOKE.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.