British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Prince Harry's new Job - what visa ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/prince-harrys-new-job-what-visa-937791/)

S Folinsky Jan 24th 2023 4:28 pm

Re: Prince Harry's new Job - what visa ?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 13167921)
I presume he is using a diplomatic visa, because I think it would be more advantageous to him. If he is on a spouse visa he could apply now. They have stated they moved to the US from Canada well before it was announced. I wonder if his royal status (from birth) prevents him from holding another citizenship.

I wouldn’t presume. I do know that certain DHS files are locked down quite securely. (The example I’ve heard of is Arnold Schwarzenegger.) Also, DHS can arrange for private processing.

Take a gander at Section 331(b) of the Immigration & Nationality Act. Harry would have to make an additional oath renouncing his hereditary title. Of course, the question the becomes whether or not the UK would recognize the renunciation.

karenkaren1 Jan 24th 2023 5:05 pm

Clearly different rules for him and Nigella Lawson - who famously got immigration privileges revoked after subsequently admitting to prior cocaine use in her divorce court proceedings

neill Jan 24th 2023 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by karenkaren1 (Post 13167953)
Clearly different rules for him and Nigella Lawson - who famously got immigration privileges revoked after subsequently admitting to prior cocaine use in her divorce court proceedings

Right? I mean it's all apparently documented in hardback right now.

Former Lancastrian Jan 24th 2023 10:10 pm

So when Harry next leaves the US and then returns is anyone wishing or hoping that a USCBP officer approaches him has a quick chat and deny him entry?

destone Jan 24th 2023 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by karenkaren1 (Post 13167953)

For starters, Nigella Lawson never lived in the US. Apples and oranges.

tht Jan 24th 2023 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by destone (Post 13167793)
His “crime” is no different to what top administration officials do behind closed doors. Of course, he’ll never be deported based on what he published in his memoir; that’s just ridiculous.

What interests me more is that his kids are dual citizens and yet he’s reluctant to upset the Family by naturalizing.

He does not have a convicted crime I am aware of. He may or may not have declared drug use on his visa application (assuming he has one), if he had he could also have got a waiver.

If he had applied for a green card (via marriage) he may have declared it as well and once he has been a LPR married to a USC for 3 years he could apply to become a USC and would likely have to declare again.

I think the point of the article is if he has not declared it he may have lied to USCIS.

I do recall something about renouncing all titles when becoming a USC.

I would not be so sure he would not face some issues, the IRS went after Boris J for tax’s owed as a USC.

Not sure what your point is about US politicians, sure, many have made similar admissions, but they will never need to apply for a US Visa, GC or to become a USC: https://abcnews.go.com/amp/Politics/...2773754&page=1

PetrifiedExPat Jan 25th 2023 5:06 pm

One rule for the peasants, one rule for the connected.

karenkaren1 Jan 26th 2023 3:01 am

Originally Posted by destone (Post 13168021)
For starters, Nigella Lawson never lived in the US. Apples and oranges.

u miss the point.

RICH Jan 26th 2023 3:58 am

I think it is reasonable that Harry qualifies as a citizen candidate, based on 3 /5 years marriage to a USC, irregardless of any diplomatic /celebrity status.

destone Jan 26th 2023 4:26 am

Originally Posted by karenkaren1 (Post 13168302)
u miss the point.

I get your point but the example provided is not suitable.

tht Jan 26th 2023 11:15 am

Originally Posted by RICH (Post 13168311)
I think it is reasonable that Harry qualifies as a citizen candidate, based on 3 /5 years marriage to a USC, irregardless of any diplomatic /celebrity status.

Only if H is already a LPR, the 3 years is as an LPR married to a USC….

PetrifiedExPat Jan 26th 2023 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by S Folinsky (Post 13167945)

Take a gander at Section 331(b) of the Immigration & Nationality Act. Harry would have to make an additional oath renouncing his hereditary title. Of course, the question the becomes whether or not the UK would recognize the renunciation.

I am sure the officers would have a good laugh with him whilst doing so, since the renunciation is meaningless

S Folinsky Jan 26th 2023 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by PetrifiedExPat (Post 13168431)
I am sure the officers would have a good laugh with him whilst doing so, since the renunciation is meaningless

Perhaps. Harry is now pretty far down in the line of succession. The renunciation was not meaningless when Edward VIII abdicated.

PetrifiedExPat Jan 26th 2023 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by S Folinsky (Post 13168434)
Perhaps. Harry is now pretty far down in the line of succession. The renunciation was not meaningless when Edward VIII abdicated.

No no, the renunciation to the US is meaningless. Much like the whole process, all smoke and mirrors over an extremely corrupt and incompetent system. Each great empire must come to an end.

Jack_Russells4ever Jan 26th 2023 8:34 pm

Prince Harry and his wife Meghan and his place in the line of succesion. Many people including myself do NOT believe Harry is even Charles offspring. Why are we even talking about Prince Harry who.is almost certainly NOT the offspring of Charles and with a DNA test done in a credible lab could be removed as a credible possible distant claimant to the throne. Harry seems like a decent guy who is the victim of circumstance of birth to Princess Diana and a bunch of politically correct friends polluting his mind. Harry should completely renounce his titles and become a private person wherever he decides to live. His mother Dianna should be emulated by Harry but he should distance himself from the Royal Family. I wish him and his family luck.