British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Prince Harry's new Job - what visa ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/prince-harrys-new-job-what-visa-937791/)

tht Mar 24th 2021 3:15 pm

Prince Harry's new Job - what visa ?

I saw on the news Prince Harry started a new job in silicone valley.

https://www.independent.co.uk/indy10...-b1821724.html

The mention of 2 jobs also makes the visa options even more narrow unless the commission is unpaid.

I had read this story before on what his visa / GC options were:
https://abovethelaw.com/2021/03/harr...migration-law/

The Green card is especially interesting as I recall the requirement to renounce all his titles if he then goes for Citizenship.

SanDiegogirl Mar 24th 2021 3:43 pm

Re: Prince Harry's new Job - what visa ?

Surely he has a Green card by being married to a US citizen and she has already sponsored him.

I have a nephew who married a US citizen and from application to getting the OK and arriving in the US was 4 months - they had very good lawyers.

Harry and Megan married in 2018 and moved to the US in 2020 - plenty of time for her to sponsor and him get his Green card.

scrubbedexpat099 Mar 24th 2021 4:26 pm

In 2018 it was taking a year or so, now quite possible, but is does debunk all that being forced out story.

Some suggestion he has actually been working for a few months.

Giantaxe Mar 24th 2021 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12987344)
In 2018 it was taking a year or so, now quite possible, but is does debunk all that being forced out story.

Some suggestion he has actually been working for a few months.

Yeah, it does add evidence to this all being planned in advance... and that their sojourn in Canada was merely to take advantage of the free security Trudeau's government offered for a few months. Once that expired, they bailed to California.

scrubbedexpat099 Mar 24th 2021 5:55 pm

My money would be on some variant of the VWP Express, but I doubt we will ever know.

Lion in Winter Mar 24th 2021 7:43 pm

"Job". Not job.

That is all.

steph0scope Mar 24th 2021 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12987371)
My money would be on some variant of the VWP Express, but I doubt we will ever know.

They went from Canada to California by private plane. I didn’t think private plane passengers were eligible for the VWP?

My money is on a CR-1. There was plenty of time to get that done before they moved. When did DCF stop in London?

tht Mar 24th 2021 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by steph0scope (Post 12987429)
They went from Canada to California by private plane. I didn’t think private plane passengers were eligible for the VWP?

My money is on a CR-1. There was plenty of time to get that done before they moved. When did DCF stop in London?

I would not be surprised if there were “special channels”..to process whatever it was, if you read the second link thought it talks about some pretty complex tax implication of a GC.

SanDiegogirl Mar 25th 2021 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by steph0scope (Post 12987429)

Whether or not the DCF was open is irrelevant I should think...... in their positions they would have had special routes to expedite any application for CR-1 they made.
She was living practically living in the UK prior to the marriage so must have had special dispensation for that too.

scrubbedexpat099 Mar 25th 2021 5:38 pm

She did go through the UK process I remember that being mentioned at the time, UK process is super quick anyway.

DCF is still available for exceptional circumstances, a year? since London had it otherwise, Canada only had it for exceptional circumstances.

destone Mar 25th 2021 6:15 pm

We all know that the White House/US Embassies/DHS/CBP/USCIS can fast-track green cards for high profile personnels who are eligible otherwise (e.g. married to a US citizen). Heck, even Trump at the time brought over Melania's parents (who are USCs now) in some mysterious ways.

lansbury Mar 25th 2021 6:36 pm

The Christmas before I retired I attended a party at the US Embassy. During the course of a conversation it was made very clear to me that when I wanted my visa all I had to do was call the person I was talking to, and I could attend the Embassy next day with my passport and have the visa put in it. Concerned about future complications at the US end if I did that, I went the normal route. But if that offer was made to me, I have no doubt Harry was made one he didn't refuse.

SanDiegogirl Mar 25th 2021 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by destone (Post 12987706)
We all know that the White House/US Embassies/DHS/CBP/USCIS can fast-track green cards for high profile personnels who are eligible otherwise (e.g. married to a US citizen). Heck, even Trump at the time brought over Melania's parents (who are USCs now) in some mysterious ways.

There was no mysterious way....Melania sponsored them......

SanDiegogirl Mar 25th 2021 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 12987720)
The Christmas before I retired I attended a party at the US Embassy. During the course of a conversation it was made very clear to me that when I wanted my visa all I had to do was call the person I was talking to, and I could attend the Embassy next day with my passport and have the visa put in it. Concerned about future complications at the US end if I did that, I went the normal route. But if that offer was made to me, I have no doubt Harry was made one he didn't refuse.

Exactly.... it's not what you know but who you know.....

Lion in Winter Mar 25th 2021 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 12987720)

You're a prince? Now you tell us...