Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Poverty in the USA

Poverty in the USA

Old Mar 4th 2012, 1:40 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Poverty in the USA

Originally Posted by SATX John
Touche

Although I was being sarcastic.
You're handling the slings and arrows well kiddo!
Old Mar 4th 2012, 1:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Touche

Although I was being sarcastic.
It took you half an hour to realize it though.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 2:32 am
BE Enthusiast

SATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
It took you half an hour to realize it though.
I was not solely reading this thread for comment, Guess you have more time on your hands than I. It also would seem self evident to some folks, but I had to clarify for others, and you.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 2:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I was not solely reading this thread for comment, Guess you have more time on your hands than I. It also would seem self evident to some folks, but I had to clarify for others, and you.
The time is shown on the edit.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 5:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Right, because so many folks replied and misunderstood between your initial reply and your "clarification" of it. Oh wait, no one did
Old Mar 4th 2012, 1:39 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

His first year was followed by a second...
I bloody well hope so!

Ian
Old Mar 4th 2012, 5:08 pm
Banned

dogloverus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jasper123
Welcome Lilly, your comment here in my opinion is thus far the most thought out and intelligent post since this particular thread started a few weeks ago,
It says it all really,
WELL DONE.
But for me having lived way over half my life in the U.S. for me the big thing that separates the poor in the U.K. from the poor in USA is quite simple,
in U.K. you can be the poorest human being there and without a hope in hell of improving your situation anytime soon ------- but you will always have a roof over your head, a nice full belly, ------ and most importantly access to health care if you get sick, the U.K. Government will always make sure everyone has these basic services without having to beg for them or humiliate yourself in any way, you see thats the big difference between the two countries, if you are a UK citizen or legal resident its your right!!!! and everyone is aware of this,
you are entitled to these things,

But in America the government has a few bull s--t programs to give a little help to some people if there eligible, mostly though with so much damn red tape garbage behind them and subjecting there people to huge lines and a mountain of paperwork and taking forever to make a decision, lots of folk just dont even want to go through all the B.S. to try and maybe get help,
The thing is in the States most of the help thats worth a damn comes from the many different charity organizations, ------ and most of the help from these people is only short time, or one time shot, and lots of people feel too embarrassed to even apply for this,

I have been reading all the posts on this thread since it began a few weeks ago, and a lot of people talk a lot of sense but a lot of others have there head stuck so far up there ass they will never be able to see common sense and the truth, and I have observed some on here showing off there college education in the feeble hope that they just happen to impress someone on here, well guess what you dont,

The UK just passed a bill capping benefits at 26k per annum which is more than the average UK income. That just shows how lucrative the benefits system was and even with the cap may continue to be so!
Old Mar 4th 2012, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dogloverus
The UK just passed a bill capping benefits at 26k per annum which is more than the average UK income. That just shows how lucrative the benefits system was and even with the cap may continue to be so!
A cap does not imply, even remotely, that very person on benefits will receive £26k.

That said, it is incumbent on the government agencies to ensure claimants get what they need, and no more... Which I think was the thread of your point.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 5:42 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
A cap does not imply, even remotely, that very person on benefits will receive £26k.

That said, it is incumbent on the government agencies to ensure claimants get what they need, and no more... Which I think was the thread of your point.

yes basically ppl shouldnt be better off on benefits rather than working i think that is the whole aim of the cap, whether it achieves it or not who knows!
Old Mar 4th 2012, 6:15 pm
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

yes basically ppl shouldnt be better off on benefits rather than working i think that is the whole aim of the cap, whether it achieves it or not who knows!
Full time work should also pay people enough to live, without them having to rely on welfare.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethelred_the_Unready
Full time work should also pay people enough to live, without them having to rely on welfare.
Agreed.

Of course, they could always take a leaf out of the American Dream and work multiple jobs and 70 hrs a week to live at the bottom of the heap...

Hang on, working multiple jobs... Isn't that just greedy and the true reason the unemployment figures are so high...?
Old Mar 4th 2012, 6:34 pm
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
Agreed.

Of course, they could always take a leaf out of the American Dream and work multiple jobs and 70 hrs a week to live at the bottom of the heap...

Hang on, working multiple jobs... Isn't that just greedy and the true reason the unemployment figures are so high...?
Yep, some existence that is. That seems to be the solution to many problems here: get a second or third job. Why should people be forced to live that way? That's a nightmare, not a dream.

Then people wonder why the poor here live in such hopelessness.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 7:49 pm
Banned

Yep, some existence that is. That seems to be the solution to many problems here: get a second or third job. Why should people be forced to live that way? That's a nightmare, not a dream.

but the flipside in england is you see people who have never worked a day in their life living very comfortable lives with sky tv, a car etc etc
Old Mar 4th 2012, 7:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

???

I am not sure I know that many people who have just one stream of income. Perhaps it is where I live but most people seem to have multiple interests.

In fact even some who work for the Government. One of my Neighbours works 4 days a week for the County but also runs cattle when he isn't getting thrown from his horse.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

but the flipside in england is you see people who have never worked a day in their life living very comfortable lives with sky tv, a car etc etc
I would guess it's a small percentage overall, but a great drain on resources none the less...

Which is not a great reason to dismantle the system, rather, to fix it.

Easier said than done, I know...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.