Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Potential job in the USA

Potential job in the USA

Old Jul 16th 2007, 11:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potential job in the USA

Originally Posted by surly
I came here to work for Boeing, I guess they have a lot of pull. We got our Green Cards at Seattle Tacoma airport. Looking at my wifes GC it has L1 on it.
Never knew what that was.
I presume it was a long, long time ago.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

My wife has worked here, I don't think anyone as ever asked to see her green card or questioned her immigrant status.
Old Jul 17th 2007, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

I just found two websites that I thought I would share with you. I haven't checked them out fully yet, but you may want to have a look.

http://forum.diveintoamerica.com/

http://www.lifeintheusa.com/magazine/index.html

They may be worth having a look at.

Simon
Old Jul 17th 2007, 8:35 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Superduper
Well I got made a very nice offer with a really good relocation package. I think we're going to go for it! I double-checked the contract about GC process and they start doing it ASAP, including for my wife.
It will take years to do your GC and your wife will not be able to work (she will hold an O-3 visa) unless she can qualify on her own to work, and this is difficult (eg she is a nurse).

So long as she's willing to give up her career (and if she tries to continue it in America after a years-long break, she may find it hard to revive it) .... I personally wouldn't do it as a wife, but that's just me. I'm too used to working.
Old Aug 11th 2007, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

Superduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to all

O1 filed with USCIS on Friday! Now a 3 week wait, assuming everything goes okay.

The missus is a nanny at the moment. If we ever stay long enough to get a GC I think she would find it fairly easy to get back into, if she wishes. She works bloody hard at the moment, and she's said that she wouldn't mind not working for a long while...
Old Aug 20th 2007, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

Superduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to all

WHOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

O1 Visa approved!!!

5 days of processing!

Get in!
Old Aug 21st 2007, 9:24 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Ive found this very interesting to - as im the 'wife' in our situation and know im not going to be able to work for at least 90 days once we get there. (husband wil be an L1).

Being a lady of leisure here in the uk where i have tonnes of friends and family and local knowledge to keep the kids amused is one thing. being in a strange country with 2 young kids, not knowing anyone or anything will be quite another!
Old Aug 24th 2007, 5:30 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
Being a lady of leisure here in the uk where i have tonnes of friends and family and local knowledge to keep the kids amused is one thing. being in a strange country with 2 young kids, not knowing anyone or anything will be quite another!
make sure the cable's connected for the telly
Old Sep 10th 2007, 5:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

All depends on what you do for a living, really, the better your skill set the more demanding you can be etc. Most good jobs cover the dental and health insurance, worse case you can get insurance yourself.

Originally Posted by Superduper
Hi there!

I'm a Brit with a potential job offer in the USA (NoCal). I've been to the USA a few times, and I've got quite a few friends out there both British and American. My wife is also quite eager to go, so we'd like to try it out - if things don't work out then we can always move back. However, I have some questions to ask about negociation of the package.

The things I can think about at the moment are:
* Possibility of wife not working - so we lose a second income stream
* Is it feasible to ask for a flight or two each back to the UK a year?
* Temporary accomodation - 3 months sound reasonable?
* Moving all of our personal belongings over
* Medical and dental care
* Perhaps a car being rented on their dime for a month, until we can source one
* Maybe some extra time for compassionate leave
* A certain percentage of back-relocation costs if we get over there on a particular visa (say J1), and an application for an O1 doesn't work out
* Life assurance
* Some help in getting new white goods (either that or supplying a lot of 240-110 volt power adapters )

Can anyone else think of some pertinent points to raise? This job sounds like a great oppourtinity for me and my wife, but we don't want to do ourselves over financially if we decide to make the move. Job is in SF, and I'm also unsure about taxes/utilities/phone costs etc. Basically the cost of living.

Thanks a bunch!