Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Potential job in the USA

Potential job in the USA

Old Jun 27th 2007, 6:40 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potential job in the USA

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Something to note: if the company hires an attorney for your immigration paperwork (which they probably will) then the COMPANY is the client--NOT YOU. That means that legally, there are some things that the lawyer simply cannot tell you due to lawyer-client privilege issues.

Generally, this is not a big deal, as you are both working for the same thing (i.e. you getting a visa). But as you move forward (if) and consider a green card / citizenship, then there may come an issue where the lawyer and the client (company) might not be as interested in pushing something for you as an independent lawyer would be (i.e. the company realizes it will cost $x,000 for your green card and decides, without telling you, to just drop it--you're stuck in a lurch because many of the documents would be protected and unreleasable to you as you are not the client).

Anyway--just an anecdote but something to consider.
Absolutely - once they've got you here they don't really care about your GC - at least until it gets close to the stage where the visa becomes non-renewable.

And they certainly don't give a flying fig for your wife...
Old Jun 27th 2007, 6:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul S
LDAC then at a wild guess

Believe me even after nearly 2 years here its still odd. Daily things come up that you just don't expect. Still its an experience, and currently I don't think i'd have it any other way
Nearly 2 year!! We've been here 11 and we're still getting used to it.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 6:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Adnams
Exactly it is very tough - especially if she is working now and giving up a career.
I havent been able to work for 5 years and counting. We're H1B and 4.
Can't say I've found it a problem myself...they sent me a work thingy and I didn't even want one. Seriously...I know there are plenty of OH's on here who have had tremendous problems obtaining a work visa.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Something to note: if the company hires an attorney for your immigration paperwork (which they probably will) then the COMPANY is the client--NOT YOU. That means that legally, there are some things that the lawyer simply cannot tell you due to lawyer-client privilege issues.

Generally, this is not a big deal, as you are both working for the same thing (i.e. you getting a visa). But as you move forward (if) and consider a green card / citizenship, then there may come an issue where the lawyer and the client (company) might not be as interested in pushing something for you as an independent lawyer would be (i.e. the company realizes it will cost $x,000 for your green card and decides, without telling you, to just drop it--you're stuck in a lurch because many of the documents would be protected and unreleasable to you as you are not the client).

Anyway--just an anecdote but something to consider.
But can the attorney release the documents to a new attorney you hire yourself if the client i.e. the employer signs a release? I may be about to be in this situation with our half witted attorneys?
Old Jun 27th 2007, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Can't say I've found it a problem myself...they sent me a work thingy and I didn't even want one. Seriously...I know there are plenty of OH's on here who have had tremendous problems obtaining a work visa.
You lucky thing, can I have it instead??
Old Jun 27th 2007, 6:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Adnams
Be very careful regarding which visa you are on. If the company has a UK base get them to put you in there first and then transfer on an L1, your wife can work then.
The OP wouldn't be able to come here straight away in that case...he would have to work for the UK company for a year or two before he would be eligible for a L1...in which time one or both parties may change their minds.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The OP wouldn't be able to come here straight away in that case...he would have to work for the UK company for a year or two before he would be eligible for a L1...in which time one or both parties may change their minds.
Yep, I know but then at least his wife wouldnt be stuck in visa limbo for ever and a day.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 7:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Superduper
They want to do an O1 (I have some pretty impressive products to my name - and have held senior positions). They said a J1 may be quicker though, and they could move to an O1 during the J1.
O1?

Not sure I have seeen a post from somebody with one of those.

Thought you needed at least a Nobel Prize. Or equivalent.

Actually if you can get a O1 you should be able to ask for pretty much anything you want.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat099; Jun 27th 2007 at 7:06 pm.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 7:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
O1?

Actually if you can get a O1 you should be able to ask for pretty much anything you want.
There's a thread on the O1 a couple months back from someone getting one of those....

Anyway, welcome to BE...and make sure you get decent holiday allowance, with sick time on top of that.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

You don't say where you live right now but as a very rough guide we have found that SF is about the same cost of living as London and the areas that you may commute into SF from are similar to the better London commuter belt. (This is very rough but will give you an idea).

Your list is a good start - I'd add asking for the company to pay someone to prepare your taxes (UK and US) as these can get very complicated. It's worth getting some tax advice in the UK too before you leave - the timing of certain payments (especially stock grants, bonuses and relocation payments) can make a difference to your tax liability for them.

The Bay Area is a great place to live if you get a sufficient salary to enjoy it. Good luck.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 12:40 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there!

I'm a Brit with a potential job offer in the USA (NoCal). I've been to the USA a few times, and I've got quite a few friends out there both British and American. My wife is also quite eager to go, so we'd like to try it out - if things don't work out then we can always move back. However, I have some questions to ask about negociation of the package.

The things I can think about at the moment are:
* Possibility of wife not working - so we lose a second income stream
* Is it feasible to ask for a flight or two each back to the UK a year?
* Temporary accomodation - 3 months sound reasonable?
* Moving all of our personal belongings over
* Medical and dental care
* Perhaps a car being rented on their dime for a month, until we can source one
* Maybe some extra time for compassionate leave
* A certain percentage of back-relocation costs if we get over there on a particular visa (say J1), and an application for an O1 doesn't work out
* Life assurance
* Some help in getting new white goods (either that or supplying a lot of 240-110 volt power adapters )

Can anyone else think of some pertinent points to raise? This job sounds like a great oppourtinity for me and my wife, but we don't want to do ourselves over financially if we decide to make the move. Job is in SF, and I'm also unsure about taxes/utilities/phone costs etc. Basically the cost of living.

Thanks a bunch!
Can you explain how moving to the US for your job will be a great opportunity for your wife?

BTW, asking for 3 months temporary accommodation is a little much. It's not like you can't speak the lingo.

I would suggest renting at first and in most? apartment complexes, the management company can rent you a washer and dryer (fridge/freezer and cooker usually come anyway).
Old Jun 28th 2007, 1:03 am
Just Joined

Superduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to all

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Can you explain how moving to the US for your job will be a great opportunity for your wife?
Don't get me wrong; It is a natural worry that she may become isolated when I'm at work all the time. I have a friend in San Diego who split with his wife for similar reasons (back together now though). She insists that she'll be fine though and she's more excited about the possibility than I am . She is the most important person in the world to me and if it turns out we have to return to the UK to be happy then so be it.

It isn't just about the money/career though - its about life experience. At this time in our lives (late 20s) it seems like a good time to do something that may well otherwise be off limits further down the line. You only live once!
Old Jun 28th 2007, 2:56 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boiler
O1?

I know 2 people in fairly junior positions who have moved from J1 to O1 - surprising.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 9:45 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Don't get me wrong; It is a natural worry that she may become isolated when I'm at work all the time. I have a friend in San Diego who split with his wife for similar reasons (back together now though). She insists that she'll be fine though and she's more excited about the possibility than I am . She is the most important person in the world to me and if it turns out we have to return to the UK to be happy then so be it.

It isn't just about the money/career though - its about life experience. At this time in our lives (late 20s) it seems like a good time to do something that may well otherwise be off limits further down the line. You only live once!
If you are in your 20's with no kids and can afford it, stay in SF. Craigslist.org will show you what a one bed flat is going for - Marina or Cow Hollow are the areas close to your job. Crissey Field is a real boon if living in that area. If you live in SF your partner has a lot more to entertain herself with in an easy walking distance than moving into Marin.

My partner went back to college when in the same circumstances as yours and learnt Spanish and trained as a journalist (went over the bridge to College of Marin each day) - both of which came in pretty useful when we moved to Spain.

Reiterate what others say about the holiday (vacation) entitlement - push for your UK terms. Most apartments in SF come with white goods (cooker/fridge,dishwasher), but few with a washing machine. Push for fully-paid health cover, I am sure there are threads on BE as to which is best (HMO, PPO,etc).

Good luck, it will be a great experience.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 11:38 am
Just Joined

Superduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to allSuperduper is a name known to all

Well I got made a very nice offer with a really good relocation package. I think we're going to go for it! I double-checked the contract about GC process and they start doing it ASAP, including for my wife.

...all of which means I may be hanging around on these boards for a while yet

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.